Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:24:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsN?na, Ha?e F?aith ~ a successful one week game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: N?na, Ha?e F?aith ~ a successful one week game  (Read 13899 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 07:33:01 PM »

Sorry! It's gone. You'll have to wait... ~24 hours for the release :3
Ninja 

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 12:29:45 AM »

things remaining:

custom craft some more text.

sounds.

musics.

that is literally it.

also it is 3 am.

i am feeling the 3 am.

Ashkin
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 12:54:18 AM »

What, really? Shocked
You work fast and in an extremely awesome way Droq'.
increpare
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 04:58:29 AM »

good luck!
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 11:18:55 AM »

(thanks Ashkin, & increpare :D)

Before you click, know that it isn't quiiite finished. Music has yet to be added. I suggest you wait but I'll leave it up to you :x

If you want to wait until the music gets done & added, please do so. I'll make a brand new post and make it all big and shiny.

Feedback which I'd like if you decide to play, sans music:

1) How are the sound effects?
2) How is everything else?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:15:56 PM by Droqen » Logged

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 11:53:06 AM »

I'm currently stuck at that area with the yellow background ATM.  I can't seem to figure out a way to get past it.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 12:03:13 PM »

I'll edit to make it clearer; there's nothing further. Your goal lies behind you. Purple lines.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:10:24 PM by Droqen » Logged

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 12:29:28 PM »

I'll edit to make it clearer; there's nothing further. Your goal lies behind you. Purple lines.
Ahh, It's one of those games then.  I did do it right after all!
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 03:00:03 PM »

1) Will the game tell me when I've reached the end, or what?

2) I hit the purple lines from below, and I got stuck. It also played the warp sound effect endlessly.

3) After you return to the yellow background, it can be really hard to make it through the area just one to the left. Generally, I find that it requires running, which you are not told about until the screen after.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:18:59 PM by Kikaru » Logged
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 04:09:41 PM »

SPOILERS AHOY

play the game first, this won't even make sense till you do so.

So I played this for the first time and got to the horizontal bars that trigger the initial yellow background. I got flustered at the fact that I couldn't make the jump on the screen to the left of said screen and gave up. Now, I just got back from lunch and gave this a second go, where I primarily used the "ghost's" propulsion system via holding x in the air. I first used this in the demo, where there wasn't any explicit instruction to do so. I ended up using that instead of swapping forms to get the 'floaty' jumping guy, which I assume is the intended way to play. When I got to the first key I prided myself on being able to jump, switch directions, and shoot myself back onto the platform -- which enabled me to avoid the two baddies below. When I got to the second key area I just grabbed it and continued below the tunnel, which means I avoided the "hold x in air" message. This is sorta important. I instead used the key on the third key slot, killing the 'enemy' adjacent to said slot. I continued on, walked past the horizontal bars, and went to the next screen. I used the running ability (which I also recalled from the demo) in conjuction with my shooting jump ability to make it to the next screen. That really floored me, as I thought the game 'ended' once you got the yellow screen -- I know I'm "That Mr. Gimmick guy" but it felt like the first time I discovered the secret areas. I continued on till I got to the ghost of my lover, who told me effectively to "go home". I ventured back left, and thought the 'hidden' platforms on that one screen was pretty novel. I went back to the start, but nothing happened. I went all the way to third key, and brought it to the second key slot. I finally learned that you intended the "hold x whilst mid-air" ability, which sort of bummed me out. I saved the little guy, but I did so through a deft running jump and shooting jump. I didn't realize that I could have just shot at it from a distance, but the fact I could make it there was pretty cool. I finally entered the purple lines, and after an arduous trip I made it back to the start and got the depressing ending.

tl;dr, I felt like I was breaking the game because I skipped an instructional bit, and also had tons of fun with the shooting jump mechanic. I know this isn't the intended game, but I had tons of fun with this, it felt like playing a minor icebergvania. The atmosphere was deliciously hostile as well and the writing was vague enough for me to understand it, but only just so. can you beat the game without killing anybody (except for your love that is) and does that warant an extra ending?

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 04:16:23 PM »

I finally learned that you intended the "hold x whilst mid-air" ability, which sort of bummed me out

It wasn't intended from the demo (: But... when you posted about it, I couldn't help but include it a bit.

Lovely post <3 thanks for making it. I'd post more but I have some company over. I read it all, though, and it (as these things usually are) was a really cool read.

regarding endings:

There is only one ending, but the 'features' at the end of the game are different. People say a few different things (notably the brother/sister rescuable pair) based on who is alive and who is dead. I could have included some different endings, maybe, but I figured this was good enough :3

________

Kikaru!

1) Yes.

2) Ooops. Gotta fix!

3) Hmm. I'll check it out.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:22:23 PM by Droqen » Logged

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 04:28:12 PM »

anytime. =) i'm working on making more detailed feedback, as my writing is about the only contribution i bring to the community  Embarrassed

when i make comments regarding controls (like i did with the demo here) i really wish i knew enough coding to show what i'm talking about. i'm pretty particular when it comes to platformer physics -- blame copious hours of super mario as a lad -- and a lot of the indie games i enjoy could benefit from slight tweaks here and there.

could i possibly mess around with that shooting jump mechanic? i really enjoyed it. don't worry about over-saturation, with my track record my game shouldn't materialize until the next calender year. =)

i completely agree with the title, this was quite the success.  Beer!

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 06:08:26 PM »

Go right ahead (:

Do you want source code? It's a bit of a mess, I'm afraid.

~ Don't write it off as a success yet! I still have music to do!

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 06:35:02 PM »

what program did you make this in? i've been meaning to throw myself knee-deep into flashpunk development, and this would be an awesome reference once i get the basics down. if not i can always try my hand at approximating the mechanic, and seeing what else can come from it. 

i'm sure your music will be great =)

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 07:13:40 PM »

You love 6 second loops

Updating first post shortly... (old play link is now the new play link)

I use Flash Develop and it's super awesome :3
I would recommend it to all of my friends (and do) including you.

... I don't suggest you look too hard at this code. It's kind of messy. Still, I'll shoot you the source and everything soon if you want (:

If you've completed the game or even if you haven't this is a beautiful picture http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14413662/nanahavefaith.png credit goes to KittenEater :3
QUERY: Should I just post the image? I feel bad hiding it behind a link.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:27:13 PM by Droqen » Logged

Ashkin
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 08:02:58 PM »

That was wonderful.
Sometimes, I couldn't quite understand the text, but I think the message got through anyway.
Great job Droqen Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 08:08:29 PM »

Yeah that was pretty damn impressive.  It's funny because you can "almost" read what's going on, but not quite.  Pretty compelling stuff, although I'd expect nothing less from you!

Maybe better not let Zara see what you did here though  Tongue

(the collision seems a bit weird though, might wanna look into it)

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 12:45:54 AM »

Sad such a sad ending. But beautiful nonetheless.

I'm not sure if I've completely understood it, but what I got from this game was that it had a kind of theme of racism or something like that. And people hated you because you were a stranger. And I guess you went there to save your girl/boy/whatever friend but when you got back to your world she/he/it had already died Sad

Usually in games when you get the ability to shoot you just start randomly shooting everything, seeing what can be destroyed. But this time I really tried to kill the least amount of guys (I think 2 is a minimum). Which was very interesting to experience.

Really cool game! ^^ loved it <3

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 01:27:19 AM »

Oh! I forgot to mention that the two themes that drove the development of this game (as defined by GPCv3) were

1. DIMENSIONS - Clearly, these were literally used

2. LONELINESS - Maxim, your white text seems to be correct (:
---> The most important part of loneliness has nothing to do with being physically alone, after all. (also, you can beat it with minimum 1, excluding the statues / non red-eyed skeletons.)

Goodness. Compelling, Aquin? What a word. :3

~~~ Thanks all :D really glad this has been enjoyable <3 (and sad too)
~~~ e:: I really like the new devlog icons, especially the 'done' devlog icon. It looks so utterly full and pleasant.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:46:40 AM by Droqen » Logged

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2011, 02:04:02 AM »

this game really makes me want to make games. lovely music (you are getting good, i'm telling you)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic