Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:41:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Mineswiper - competitive 2 player minesweepin' [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mineswiper - competitive 2 player minesweepin' [FINISHED]  (Read 4659 times)
cystem glitch
Level 2

wack

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2011, 10:44:17 PM »

After descending several levels of over-ambitious ideas and mis-starts, I landed on something simple so I could learn this multiplayer / server stuff while actually finishing a game. (If I finish this, and I am pretty close, this will be my first actually finished game, hurray).

Anyway, Mineswiper - a competitive networked 1 v 1 minesweeper game. Not too much innovation here, first to flag more than half the mines wins. Also, you can't die from the first click being a mine, which was annoying in regular minesweeper but really shitty in a 2 player match. (btw, the criteria for mines becoming "armed" is 1/4th of the tiles or more flipped).

http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1297835259

Any feedback, high fives, or "this game sucks and is unoriginal" is most appreciated. Known issues I just thought of while writing this, I forgot to detect a tie game, and players can keep clicking blocks after someone has won (the winner can lose the game if they click around for some reason and hit a mine). I'll fix that stuff tomorrow though I'm burnt out at the moment.

Again, any feedback would be awesome. If I can polish this up, maybe I can fit another game in in time for the competition, hopefully with a little more personal touch because anyone could have made this game. Actually I have an idea for subverting this game and it would involve changing the generic default lobby and chat box that is included in the player io sample (what I used to make this), and that would be cool. I won't talk it up because I might not get to it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:02:45 PM by cystem glitch » Logged

You told me, never to limit myself to one style...to use any move that works...TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:21:02 PM »

If you just place random flags everywhere, you will win.
cystem glitch
Level 2

wack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:40:22 PM »

Thanks dude. I actually have a condition in place that was supposed to prevent a player with 2 or more incorrect flags from winning, but it was ignoring it in the most crucial place. I fixed this server-side and also added a chat message that gets sent out warning a player who has 3 or more incorrect flags that he will not be able to win (until he gets rid of two incorrect flags)

You told me, never to limit myself to one style...to use any move that works...TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic