Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:24:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopDrawing small characters
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Drawing small characters  (Read 3389 times)
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2011, 04:33:11 AM »

So I am making a game and I need small characters in it. So far all I can do is either draw a...um...well they are... My Word! . Or I can rip something and edit it. Here, the first two are edited and the third is made from scrach:

How does one draw small characters(not just 16x16 but also bigger)? Thanks!

Kramlack
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 07:36:50 AM »

By any chance did you ref my mini ninja for that first guy? They share a few similarities and some of the colours are the same, not that it's bad if you did, I was just curious.
antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:06:59 AM »

YES! You guessed it! I did. I edited it though! I really needed a body for that one! Thanks!

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:36:12 AM »

I'd die to be able to create so distinctive characters from scratch as you did with the third one. I guess it's all about allocating most pixels for the most characteristic attribute of the... well... character.

CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:39:55 AM »

i don't know how to give you advice, but check out some (more) of the work you referenced:

good luck Wizard

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 12:29:21 PM »

holy crap, beef, that color scheme is fantastic.

On-topic, I think your original character design is quite excellent, myself, although the faceplate sort of looks more like three red eyes or something, at a glance - a bit of shine would be nice. But it's otherwise a really readable design.

antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 04:02:19 AM »

Ok, heres another batch:

Any suggestions?  Droop

AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 12:59:27 PM »

If you're going to do a black/dark/solid color outline, I highly suggest that you only outline the perimeter of the sprite, and not the inside.

Though, if the black outline can be avoided, that's even better. Especially with sprites this tiny, every pixel counts, and the outlines eat up a lot of space, that could otherwise be used for details. Also, using extra shades of colors does wonders for portraying details, too.

Here's a couple examples with different outline styles. The first is your original. The second is with extra colors, and no outlines on the inside. The third is using colors for the outlines, rather than solid colors. The fourth is just a tweak of the third one, with different colors (blues for shadows).

thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 10:12:15 PM »

Did some mild editing of color and shading.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic