Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 07:37:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingWords/Phrases that I need to stop using.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Words/Phrases that I need to stop using.  (Read 12722 times)
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 02:38:16 AM »

Say hi to Anyhow, Anyway's sister.
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 04:25:06 AM »

anywho isn't a word, but i use it. i probably shouldn't. anywho.

BlueMoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2011, 07:04:53 AM »

"Actually"

YYG
Twitter
Please note: My native language is Dutch, therefore my English might sound a little awkward.
Mogget
Level 1

Manbabysitter

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2011, 07:38:29 AM »

I over-use semi-colons and tend to have too many tangents (leading to lots of sets of brackets(also subclauses and - get this - dashes)).

That didn't have nearly enough tangents so I fixed it up a bit. But yeah, same problem here.

Hurray for shameless promotion!
Squibb_Wiggins
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2011, 09:31:22 AM »

I make these mistakes all the time, at least while writing. 

"In fact"
"Actually"
"the reason is because" <-- just plain wrong.
"basically"

Strangely, I don't make these same mistakes while speaking.  Although my behaviour, in-person, is quite eccentric for other reasons.  Facepalm

These are common filler words. If you really want to learn to stop using them (and about writing in general), I would recommend reading "Getting the Words Right" by Theodore A Rees Cheney. Its one of the great bibles of writing that I think everyone needs to own, even if they don't write creatively.

I agree with you 100% on "the reason is because". Just the redundancy of the phrase irritates me.
AlexDJones
Level 0

Dough-faced wonderchild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2011, 07:15:30 AM »

"Well"
"...as it were."
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2011, 08:27:52 AM »

• However
  • Anyway
  • Well
  • But
  • ...(yes, I use '...' too much)

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2011, 08:47:36 AM »

what would be a replacement for "actually"? i mean, i can't think of any other word that fulfills its role: it means that something is true despite what one might expect or think.

e.g. 'actually, peppermint tea is not a true tea'

i can't think of an alternative way to say 'peppermint tea is not a tea, despite what you might expect' except, of course, "despite what you might expect", which is worse than "actually".

Zecks
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2011, 08:52:42 AM »

in fact?

indy games are a bull shit
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2011, 08:54:31 AM »

hmm -- that could work, although that sounds worse to me than actually. besides, sometimes what you're talking about *are not* facts

for instance:

"actually, ff4 is a better game than ff6"

vs

"in fact, ff4 is a better game than ff6"

the latter makes no sense, because you're not talking about facts, but evaluations

Zecks
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »

yeah i didn't think about opinions because most people state them as opinions
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:29:09 AM by Zecks » Logged

indy games are a bull shit
Feral_P
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2011, 09:38:45 AM »

hmm -- that could work, although that sounds worse to me than actually. besides, sometimes what you're talking about *are not* facts

for instance:

"actually, ff4 is a better game than ff6"

vs

"in fact, ff4 is a better game than ff6"

the latter makes no sense, because you're not talking about facts, but evaluations
Most times it's superfluous.
You could just say: '(I think) ff4 is a better game than ff6.
TaintedFork
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2011, 06:56:40 PM »

I don't personally use this very often, but when other people do, it bugs me to no end.

• "Needless to say..."

That seriously has to be the most pointless, superfluous phrase we have in this language. I can't think of any instance in which using this may actually help you construct your sentence/prove your point (well, that is, except for in this post...).

As evidenced by the last sentence above, I, too, have problems with ellipses and parentheses. I've started moving away from parentheses but instead have been using the dreaded dash - It's horrible! - to make my statements.
RCIX
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 12:10:06 AM »

I use ellipses, parens, and well, the words Anyway/Well way too much (like this).

Anyway.... :D
dangerousday
Level 1

iacedrom

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »

what would be a replacement for "actually"? i mean, i can't think of any other word that fulfills its role: it means that something is true despite what one might expect or think.

e.g. 'actually, peppermint tea is not a true tea'

i can't think of an alternative way to say 'peppermint tea is not a tea, despite what you might expect' except, of course, "despite what you might expect", which is worse than "actually".
You could omit "actually" entirely, leaving the sentence as "Peppermint tea is not a true tea." You can trust the reader or listener to get that you're expressing an idea that goes against expectations. Adding "actually," "in fact," or something similar sounds condescending, since it implies that you don't trust them to get it.

As for expressing an opinion, I'd avoid using objective phrasing like "FF4 is better than FF6." Instead, how about, "I enjoyed FF4 more than FF6 because..."

I need to stop using "just". I also need to break up long sentences into shorter ones that are easier to digest!
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2011, 07:53:52 AM »

Totally, I need to actually stop saying words like actually and totally. I totally forget how frequently I actually use them.
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2011, 01:09:43 AM »

(1st post! No more lurking for me)

I overuse "which".

I also used had a bad habit of referring to characters impersonally with pronouns or with generic titles like "the man".
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2011, 02:54:23 PM »

"I think this is blabla...",
"I think that blabla...",
"...blabla, I think.",

I always say I think things, when in fact I KNOW. It makes me feel stupid sometimes. But I guess I'm just trying to be humble.

I do this.

EXAMPLE

NO_CONFIDENCE MAN> I THINK MAYBE, ER... YOU SHOULD...
SUPER_FIANCE            > WHAT?
NO_CONFIDENCE MAN> UHHH...
SUPER_FIANCE            > GET IT OUT. JUST TALK TO ME.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic