Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:32:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Macig - The Gambling [FINISHED -PC]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Macig - The Gambling [FINISHED -PC]  (Read 6771 times)
LazyDog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 17, 2011, 05:51:51 PM »

Macig the Gambling is a card game played over tcp/ip that is inspired by the much greater and awesome card game: Magic the Gathering. A Macig the Gambling match is generally quicker than a Magic the Gathering match and more luck (gambling) is involved.

Features:
  • Online play
  • 40 cards
  • 4 types of Mana
  • Unit cards and action cards
  • Somewhat deep gameplay
  • In-game Chat

This card game has quite complex rules so I decided to post a guide in this thread. English is not my native language so any feedback would be appreciated. Feedback on the game itself is of course also appreciated.  
If you don't get the rules at all ask me in this thread. I do be believe you really need to read the guide for this game though especially if you have never played Magic. Smiley  

Playable version out, uses port: 12222, I can host games  without opening any ports however so there should be no problem playing this without entering router settings. Game guide in the zip.
New BETA version 1.2! for PC  
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:54:53 PM by LazyDog » Logged

Download my games at www.gamersdelight.eu
LazyDog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 01:27:22 PM »

Game guide (PDF here).

Overview
Macig the Gambling is a card game played over tcp/ip that is inspired by the much greater and awesome card game: Magic the Gathering. A Macig the Gambling match is generally quicker than a Magic the Gathering match and more luck (gambling) is involved.

Goal
The goal of the game is to take control of 4 Mana Squares. This is accomplished by attacking the squares with your unit cards. Once you have attacked and gained control of a square you will drain Mana of that squares color at the beginning of your turn. Mana is good since this is what you use to pay for cards.

Unit cards
Unit cards are one of two card types in Macig the Gambling. You can tell a card is a unit card on its power number (located with a large font on the top right side of the card).  

Unit cards are used to attack Mana squares and as the game progresses these squares are normally occupied by your rivals units. When playing a unit on a Mana square that belongs to your rival a fight takes place. Fighting in Macig the Gambling is quite simple; each unit deals damage corresponding to its power to the other unit. The result of a fight can lead to the following 4 situations:

• Both unit dies and the Mana square is left empty for any unit to take.
  • No unit dies and your unit card is returned with full HP to your hand.
  • Your unit dies which sucks but can be ok since your rivals unit is at least damaged.
  • Rival unit dies which is great because now you own the Mana square and will drain mana to your pool next turn (The amount you drain depends on your units Mana drain value which defaults to 1).

There are a three more things to say about units.
  • You can only play 1 unit each round.
  • Your units regenerate HP at the beginning of your turn.
  • Units can have special bonuses depending on what Mana square they occupy.

Special bonuses
There are several different unit bonuses in Macig the Gambling. I will not explain them all but I will give you some examples and then you can figure out the rest yourself.

ATK: + 1: Unit has a power increase of 1 when it attacks any mana square.
ATK BIO: + 2: Unit has a power increase of 2 if it attacks the BIO mana square.
REGEN: +1: Unit will regain 1 additional HP at the beginning of your turn (default: 1).  
MANA: +1: Unit will drain one additional Mana from its Mana square at the beginning of your turn (default: 1).
MANA BIO: +1: Unit will drain one additional Mana each turn if it occupies the BIO Mana square.
HP PSY: +3: Unit will have 3 more in Max HP if it occupies the PSY Mana square.

Action cards
Action cards are the rest of the cards in Macig the Gambling. These cards can only be played on units and they all alter the targeted unit’s stats in one way or another. The syntax used on these cards is the same as the syntax used for special bonuses on unit cards so I don’t think they need a longer introduction. You can play as many action cards as you like each turn.

Mana
Mana is used to play cards in Macig the Gambling. If a card has no Mana symbol and no mana number on its top right corner, don’t worry, this only means that the card can be played for free. As mentioned before you collect mana by occupying Mana squares, but there is still some vagueness on the matter of using mana.

Mana is used by spending it (adding it to your Mana pool) before playing (clicking on) a card. Mana is spent by clicking on the Mana symbols located in the bottom right corner of the playing field. Playing a card will totally empty your spent mana so don’t use more mana than you need. The number displayed on the right of the mana symbols are your total amount of mana in that color and the number displayed on the left are your spent mana in that color.

Your hand
At the beginning of your turn there are always 4 cards in your hand. This means that if you play all 4 cards from your hand you will get 4 new cards next round. Cards in your hand that you cannot play or doesn’t help you at the moment can always be discarded with a right click.

You can always discard cards by right clicking them. A good player generally discards a lot of cards but he/she also knows when it’s a good time to save the cards.  

Important
  • You can always discard cards by right clicking them. A good player generally discards a lot of cards but he/she also knows when it’s a good time to save them.
  • Macig the Gambling uses port: 12222
  • Type /surrender in the chat box to give up.

That’s all, enjoy the game!

/Björn “Lazy” Olsson 2011

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:51:35 AM by LazyDog » Logged

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 10:15:47 PM »

The card art is adorable! I love "nature force". Excited to try this next time I'm in Windows.

|
LazyDog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 05:39:11 AM »

I have played Macig with my friends for 2 days now and I realized early that some re-balancing was needed. I also found a few bugs that i corrected. So here's a new version with some news, bugfixes and reworks.

Changelog Beta 1.1:
  • Added 4 new cards. - One small and cheap unit for every color. This makes the early turns a bit more interesting. For PSY I nerfed Shaolin Student and added a new stronger more expensive card instead.
  • Reworked a lot of cards for balancing purpose.
  • Extended chat box and fixed some bugs in the chat.
  • Changed startup/win sound.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:52:30 PM by LazyDog » Logged

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 11:38:31 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

I tried to open a port once and failed pretty hard, so I was wondering if this has any hope of also being an offline game.  I see many interesting things here and would love to try it.  Always wanted to make a card game (electronic or otherwise), so I have a soft spot for this stuff.

Good luck with this at any rate.

-PENCERKOFF

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 01:00:25 PM »

Mad mana Kiss

I hope to try it ASAP.
LazyDog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 01:35:58 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

I tried to open a port once and failed pretty hard, so I was wondering if this has any hope of also being an offline game.  I see many interesting things here and would love to try it.  Always wanted to make a card game (electronic or otherwise), so I have a soft spot for this stuff.

Good luck with this at any rate.

-PENCERKOFF

Thanks!
Hmmm... making it offline seems hard since I cannot come up with a good way of hiding your cards from your opponent if you play split screen. Well there is one way and that would be printing the cards... that would be kinda cool, but still this game is suited for digital play cuz of all the HP bars that, in a non digital format, would be a pain to keep track on.

I could make a CPU opponent, but that wont happen before deadline. Would be fun to make one later though. 

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 02:03:28 PM »

Hmmm... making it offline seems hard since I cannot come up with a good way of hiding your cards from your opponent if you play split screen. Well there is one way and that would be printing the cards... that would be kinda cool, but still this game is suited for digital play cuz of all the HP bars that, in a non digital format, would be a pain to keep track on.

Make the other person turn around whenever you need to glance at your hand, and just remember what cards are what.
LazyDog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 06:12:53 AM »

Make the other person turn around whenever you need to glance at your hand, and just remember what cards are what.

That could work. I'll keep it in mind for future updates.

EDIT: And ooh I just thought of something. If you want to try the game with a friend on the same computer just start the game twice (click host on one running version and join on the other). Once you are finished with your turn, minimize your game window so that your friend cant see your cards.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:07:47 AM by LazyDog » Logged

LazyDog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 06:16:46 AM »

New version out! It will be the last update before deadline.

Changelog Beta 1.2:

• Some balancing and modified cards.
  • Added turn counter.
  • Now possible to see rival mana count.
  • Now possible to discard played unit cards.
  • Updated game guide.

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 09:50:39 AM »

Hello this i Pencerkoff

This is great, I just played myself 4 times in a row.  Not sure how confusing this would be when people do things in multiplayer, though.

I hate your small font.  There's plenty of people around here who will have your children for using it, but I can barely stand it.  Lucky for you this game is fun.

I suspect you'll be getting a vote from me.

-PENCERKOFF

LazyDog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 10:17:57 AM »

Thx for liking it!
And sad-face for hating my font. I spent several minutes in fontcreator with that one! Smiley
Well I guess I could change it.. or at least make a version with another font for people who cant stand it. If I get one more vote from anyone I'll make an alternative version with new font.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic