Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1397149 Posts in 67440 Topics- by 60647 Members - Latest Member: Ekeochavictor

November 30, 2021, 07:32:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessDesura: are you going to support it?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Desura: are you going to support it?  (Read 9869 times)
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 01:43:02 PM »

I think Madk has raised some valid points. I don't think I'll be getting Desura soon, but depending on the availability of certain games and whether or not Desura has some exclusive sales, I may cave. Pretty much the only reason I got Steam was for a 75% off deal for something.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 03:38:12 PM »

It's not very fun to wear two hats instead of one.

Replace "wear" with "keep track of" and "hats" with "digital distribution clients".

But seriously, I'm used to Steam and it has few issues. It works fine and I'm not comfortable trying to use two of them at once because it'd be terribly inconvenient. I don't want to switch entirely because I've invested a lot of money into my Steam games. Call me a corporate tool if you like; I suppose I'd then still be a corporate tool if I had used Desura first because then I'd be hesitant to start using Steam.

In fact, the reason I originally got Steam was to buy Garry's Mod, which to my knowledge is pretty indie.
mude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 08:49:38 AM »

4-5 new games in the last few days. Hoping in announcements at GDC and a better client.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 09:49:52 AM »

David, the reasons you mention not to use Desura, are the same reasons people use to not want to do something new. Or something they never done before, or something they are not used to.
It's not even directly related to games, it's just fear of change and trying something you are not used to.
Sometimes it's good to stick to one thing, but many times it broaden your horizens to try new things.
Although trying new things as an agenda is almost as equally bad, in my opinion.
If you want to try something new or if you don't want to try something new for a GOOD reason, then I think it's fine.
But as I said, the reasons you mentioned can be used in many other places where you don't want to try something else, game related or not game related.

Master of all trades.
Nix
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 10:21:25 AM »

It's not very fun to wear two hats instead of one.

I beg to differ
dantheman363
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 02:01:22 PM »

I plan to use it in the future. As an independent developer myself, I try and support all the portals when I make my purchases. This includes GamersGate, Direct2Drive, BeamDog, Steam, and Impulse. We owe it to ourselves to diversify. After all, why should there be a monopoly on digitally distributed games? Wasn't that what were fighting in the first place with brick and mortar publishers and their monopolies. Digital content ultimately should be just placed on a web browser or downloaded through your site. But indies need that advertising of a portal to move forward.

What most people don't understand is that when there is a monopoly of a service, if you are a developer and you have a unique game and you don't get on that one service. Your basically done for and go work for Activision to make ends meet. Unless you get really lucky. So no one would want that to happen. Support your indies by supporting alternative Digital Downloading markets. Wink

I agree, submit to as many portals as possible in order to get a wide range.

DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 11:15:13 AM »

David, the reasons you mention not to use Desura, are the same reasons people use to not want to do something new. Or something they never done before, or something they are not used to.

I think you are incorrect. It's not about Desura being new; it's about it being exactly the same, at least as far as the end user experience goes, while also requiring more space on your computer and two separate libraries of games. Why should I get a Desura account when I can buy games on Steam and I can also run my non-Steam games (that don't require a separate application to access all features like multiplayer like Source games do) from the Steam library?

Think of it like IM chat clients. I use Trillian because I have friends on MSN and AIM, but I don't want to have to run two different clients to talk to all of them. So I use Trillian, which allows me to be signed into both my AIM and MSN accounts without having to run either of their applications separately or even have them installed on my computer.

It probably doesn't sound like a good idea to them, but I'd be much more likely to sign up for another game distro portal and buy their games if there was an application that let me consolidate all my games from them and others into one library and run them all without having to have the portals' original applications running simultaneously.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 07:28:31 AM »

I plan to use it for my incoming game Pure Rocket Ownage, but i think they shouldn't have demos of games like HL, GTA or CoD because i don't see any reason in doing this. Wasn't it meant to sell indie games?

originally it was to make mod installations easier. During development they launched IndieDB so I think it's meant to cover both mods and indie games. Mods require a commercial game installed so I can see why they would have commercial demos.

Jasper Flick
Level 2

Catlike Coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 05:28:42 AM »

When Desura comes to Mac, I'll try it out. I'm not bothered by wearing multiple hats. Eggs and baskets and such. If a significant amount of customers like a certain kind of hat and it's not that hard to support it, I'll do it. In that regard, what Desura needs most is customer awareness.

tergem
Level 1

It's a pony!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 06:54:19 AM »

Well I'm trying Desura out, at this point I like it better than steam. I have yet to make a purchase. The support of indie games and mods is great. They also make it extremely easy to add a game to their service.

I would say this may one day be an actual challenge to Steam, that day is years (5-10 at least) away however.

Once I get to know the service more I might post a (better) little review on this thread.

Games made so far (completed):Spike teh dodge, Unnamed puzzle game, Galaga clone, Generic Top-Down Shooter, overly simplistic business simulator In dev: Platformer!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic