Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:04:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopPixel anatomy study
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel anatomy study  (Read 5052 times)
Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2011, 04:39:57 PM »

Some time ago I decide to do some pixel art just to study different aspects. I finished shading my anatomy study recently and I would love to hear your critics. They're not art pieces and were created exactly for the purpose of improving, so don't worry to be too hard on me.

The legs and knees were especially hard and I know it's all wrong down there (especially on the largest scale). Reworked it 3 times, but then gave up. Smiley

So, your thought are most welcome.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:09:48 PM by Retro » Logged

Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 03:08:30 PM »

Sorry, the image was not appearing, I linked a little too deep into amazon's underlying cloud servers and the link expired.

Hope it works OK now and you can give me an advice or two.

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:12:05 AM »

You should get rid of the dithering "or at least most of it" to increase readability. It's also easier to block out the lit body shapes this way.

ps. Never save pixelart as .jpg Smiley
Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 01:57:17 PM »

Thanks for the tip. I always use dithering, but I do notice that lots go without it (or almost none) and get a cleaner result. I dunno, I really love the process of creating the halftone pattern, maybe that's why I stick it in so much. Smiley

I noticed a similar thing when I am digitally painting stuff. I use very soft brushes that blend all the colors into gradients. But when I look at someone who really knows how to paint, they use hard edged brushes, don't mix colors (so much) and get so much better results. I guess it's a typical mistake and I should follow a tutorial to fundamentally change the way I work (approach it more like painting).

Blah, I wish I'd gone to an art college instead of computer science. Facepalm

ps. Never save pixelart as .jpg Smiley
I never do. Smiley It's all pngs on my side, that's what it gets transformed into when I upload to my blog unfortunately. Maybe the format will be kept for gifs, should change to that for uploads.

Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 04:34:50 AM »

Damn, now I have to google what love handles are. Smiley No worries, that way I also learn new English phrases. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 04:49:01 AM by Retro » Logged

thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 09:41:50 PM »

You have them right now at over 7 heads tall!!!!!!! That over superhero proportions. 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 is closer to human sizes.
Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 10:33:37 PM »

Yeah, it's exactly 7.5 heads tall. Just as my Anatomy for the Artist book shows.

That was my reference anyway. Maybe it's cultural difference?

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 12:20:07 AM »

No it's not, a "perfect" adult human specimen should be 8 times it's own head.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 12:49:04 AM »

Mhm, where'd you read this Green? There's no defined human ideal and people that are 8 heads tall are at the very top of the proportions bell curve (I mean... err, to the right, a couple standard deviations to the right). Judging by my folder of photos of folks, the average is somewhere between 6.5 and 7 heads tall, though people in their late teens and early twenties are definitely closer to 6.5.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 01:57:11 AM »

Sorry, 7 to 7.5 is most accurate as I've googled it.
Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 02:01:39 AM »

No problem, great discussion and we all learn something. I never really thought about it, but yeah, with proportions you quite define the overall "heroesness" of the character.

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 08:21:59 AM »

Mhm, where'd you read this Green? There's no defined human ideal and people that are 8 heads tall are at the very top of the proportions bell curve (I mean... err, to the right, a couple standard deviations to the right). Judging by my folder of photos of folks, the average is somewhere between 6.5 and 7 heads tall, though people in their late teens and early twenties are definitely closer to 6.5.

There sure is. When talking art the ideal male and female body is approximately 8 times the height of the head as you can read in almost every book about drawing anatomy "loomis figure drawing for example".
I don't feel like explaining the maths but if you feel intrigued you should read up on the so called "golden ratio".

click here for more information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Human_body_proportions2_svg.svg

In reallife the body head ratio is quite different though.
Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 03:06:55 PM »

That image gives me the creeps. Smiley

thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 08:27:10 PM »

haha me 2, here are some loomis books in pdf format http://alexhays.com/loomis/ I highly recommend him. His skills are second to few.
Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 07:53:48 AM »

Awesome! Now I have lots of reading to do (and it will be useful too, cos I have some bigger pieces with pixelated women on my mind Smiley).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic