Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:11:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Adventure Game Interpreter Combat [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Adventure Game Interpreter Combat [FINISHED]  (Read 11468 times)
klownstein
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:26:55 AM »

-ADVENTURE GAME INTERPRETER COMBAT-

Using the classic Adventure Game Interpreter (AGI) from the 1980's, I am working on a combat game that will pit characters from classic Sierra adventure games against each other in a battle to the death.  Imagine Graham vs Wilco, Bonds vs Manannan.  The game is actually an AGI game, meaning that I am limited to 16 EGA colors and blocky pixels/resolution.  I only thought it fitting to be true to the classics.

Disclaimer: This is a fanmade game.  Although I have personally drawn all the characters, they are based on characters from classic Sierra adventure games.  I do not own any any of the characters represented and they remain the property of Sierra.

https://sites.google.com/site/klownstein/agi-combat

Download here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22140011/AGICombat.zip

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 08:14:16 PM by klownstein » Logged
klownstein
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:09:41 AM »

The game is completely functional now with death scenes and everything.  I'm just adding some bells and whistles and then I'll publish.  I fully expect to have everything done by the deadline.
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 03:02:19 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Wow, you are talking about things even older than I would have nostalgia for.  Those screenshots are amazing, though, and this looks great. 

Reminds me of Hugo's House of Horrors, actually.  That's probably an insult to adventure game enthusiats everywhere, though.

-PENCERKOFF

klownstein
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 07:51:53 PM »

Whew, just finished!  I've added a download link to the first post.
-klownstein
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 08:02:17 PM »

I'm getting a 403 here.
klownstein
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 08:18:39 PM »

It should work now.  I forgot to make the file public Wink.  Let me know if it still doesn't work.
-klownstein
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 08:46:45 PM »

Works perfectly now!
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 01:55:27 AM »

Increpare, Terry Cavanagh, Sophie H and I tried this game for a while.

- No full screen Sad
- Awesome combat system
- hilarious to work through the characters in order
- 'looks pretty' (shame graphics are ripped?)
- very dramatic with tug of war mechanic and slow attacks
- not really clear what's going on (lack of feedback?)
- played for a while

twitter: @docky
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 06:16:55 PM »

We were pretty impressed by the creativity and work behind this game. "Someone put a lot of care into this game," we said to each other. We played through twice and didn't notice a repeating background.

But, the gameplay didn't quite come together for us. I think this stemmed from not having clear enough feedback.

Specifically, we had trouble because this information wasn't clear:
When is a character preparing for an attack.
What attack is the character preparing for.
When an attack succeeds.
When an attack fails.
How far along is an attack?
When will this attack hit?

I loaded the game up and played alone and all these things are presented. However, when we played as a group on a couch in front of a TV, we had trouble.

Without knowing the animations for every character, it's difficult to tell if they are attacking high/low or just ducking. Having such a creative, varied and large cast of characters actually makes this aspect of the gameplay that much harder!

It seemed more intuitive to us to have duck/jump be switched on the keyboard, so the "attack high" is next to the "block high." (Even though it's dodges here, not blocks). But maybe that was just us.

Anyway, reminds me of

I had trouble "reading" the animations in that game too so maybe I'm just weird.

The invetory screen was great. Perfect example of the obvious care that went into this game. Thanks for sharing the game with us!
klownstein
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 01:39:04 PM »

Thanks for the comments.  I've actually begun to make some improvements based on the feedback I've received.  AGI Combat is, understandably, more a 'nostalgic' game than an engaging combat game and, as such, will probably always be mediocre as a fighting game despite the planed improvements.  However, I will definitely let you know when a new version is available.

-klownstein 

P.S. The gameplay WAS inspired by the fighting system of Sid Meiers Pirates!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic