Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:04:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallas3sfxr-b
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: as3sfxr-b  (Read 14500 times)
increpare
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 12:40:10 AM »

wheezy haha hehe hoho
increpare
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 12:56:01 AM »

Thinking about where to take this, I note that a number of people have suggested the ability to mix sounds together as something desirable (not here, but elsewhere).  From what I recall (I never used it myself), that's how pxtone's sound editor work.  I think it'll involve a bit of a redesign, though.  So, relegate the sound generator to a tab, and have a new window where you can combine the sounds in your palette?  How much of a mixer do we want?  What features would be good in it?  Would it be enough to be able to specify (via a suitably usable interface) offset + volume?  Would stretching be appreciated?  Would it be desirable to apply additional filters on top of everything?

How important is visualization?  I personally am happy without.  The problem is that flash ain't fast, and it takes up screen-space.  I can probably get something passable up and running, though.
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 01:59:39 AM »

When I make synth sound effects I often use a tracker running at a very high tempo. I think something similar would be appropriate for SFXR, although it would be a huge addition and bring it far away from the "simple sound effects" concept.

increpare
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 02:37:45 AM »

When I make synth sound effects I often use a tracker running at a very high tempo. I think something similar would be appropriate for SFXR, although it would be a huge addition and bring it far away from the "simple sound effects" concept.
I do that as well sometimes, I think that's a philosophically very different approach.  I'd like to try keep the consistent idiom, and to keep it focussed on sound effects (Which is why I'm wary of anything that might turn it into a sequencer).
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 03:13:31 AM »

We are moved to tears by the size of this thing.
By size you mean it's too big filesizewise?  I did a special 'static' build of it to fix some bugs draknek has on flash, which made it a bit bigger.  And the AIR standalone is...well...AIR.  Or window-size?
No, like... scope. What I mean is that you have created a new star in the sky.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 03:31:14 AM »

ohhehehe
 Well, hello there!
SFBTom
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 04:11:19 AM »

One feature that might help some out, especially with all the new sliders, is some sort of help box explaining a little of what each parameter does to those who don't really know sound synthesis too well. It could be contextual, I see you took out the 'click a slider's label to reset it' feature, so maybe the help could replace that - click a label to have it explained in a modal box?

increpare
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 04:24:16 AM »

One feature that might help some out, especially with all the new sliders, is some sort of help box explaining a little of what each parameter does to those who don't really know sound synthesis too well.
Yes, better documentation would be good. (to be honest a couple of the parameters are a bit mysterious to me still in their behaviour...).

It could be contextual, I see you took out the 'click a slider's label to reset it' feature,
Not a case of taking it out, so much as not noticing it and not reimplementing it. 

so maybe the help could replace that - click a label to have it explained in a modal box?
An info button might work, or maybe extensive tooltipping would suffice?
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 02:59:09 PM »

Rather than a "play on change" toggle, how about a hotkey to play the sound?
increpare
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2011, 03:42:51 PM »

Rather than a "play on change" toggle, how about a hotkey to play the sound?
No reason both can't be done... I just bound 'enter' to play, but the build probably won't be up for another two days or so because I'm in the middle of trying to add a mixer.
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »

Wow, seeing this and then googling for more info made me learn so much new stuff. Thank you!

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2011, 07:12:23 AM »

Is there perchance a downloadable version?  Smiley
increpare
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2011, 07:35:12 AM »

Is there perchance a downloadable version?  Smiley
There's a downloadable version linked to on the page (Adobe AIR version - you'll need to get http://get.adobe.com/air/ first ).
increpare
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2011, 04:39:50 PM »

I'm fiddling around with implementing layer/a mixer now.  I have the mixing part working, more or less, but ... I'm not comfortable using it right now.  It's not a style of working with samples that I've used before.  Any hints or tips or notes about how you folks tend to mix samples together to get sfx?  I want to at least get the hang of it myself before trying a proper implementation of a mixing system.
JohnH
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2011, 12:16:44 PM »

I'm glad someone's finally updated sfxr with some new features!

The playlist gets unwieldly fast.  I'd suggest not adding things to the list automatically, but make the user press a button, else just playing around with the basic random settings will quickly fill it up.

A graphical representation of the volume of the sound, based on the ADSR envelope, might be useful.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 02:50:57 PM »

Is there a thing (like there is for as3sfxr) which I can download and then cache+play sounds from strings in my games?

increpare
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2011, 03:18:12 PM »

Is there a thing (like there is for as3sfxr) which I can download and then cache+play sounds from strings in my games?
Yeah, it's exactly the same deal as with as3sfxr. I'm working on a not insubstantial update right now, and didn't think to set up separate release/dev branches, so the head of my repo branch is an awful mess.  

Download this release - it should be compatible with the one on the website, and pull out the sfxrparams.as and sfxrsynth.as files, and use 'em as you would as3sfxr's.  

I'm pretty sure it should work just fine.  But, if you do try, let me know if you have any problems.

I am adding a bunch of more stuff right now (extra waveforms/possibly tinkering with filters, mainly gross mixer ui bugs, though), and I can't guarantee backward compatibility.  It may be a week or more before it's out, though.  

If you're fine with the version that's up for whatever you're working on, what I suggested above should do you, and I'll try to help figure out any bugs that you may come across (though I don't anticipate there'll be many).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:36:25 PM by increpare » Logged
jazmeister
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 10:55:01 AM »

10 Randomize
20 Mutate
30 GOTO 20
increpare
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2011, 06:48:55 PM »

Have spent the last couple of days solid trying to fix UI bugs in the version I'm working on.  Tired, but over the worst of them I believe.

added a bitcrush filter today, which is sorta fun, and a compression filter, which is extremely useful.

Don't know how long the next release is off, hopefully not too long :/
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2011, 09:16:21 PM »

I really want to make a whole ton of sound effects tonight but the new update might be awesome

I'm not even sure what bitcrush is but oh my god

What should I do

this is the truest dilemma i have faced within the past twenty-four hours maybe

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic