Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:07:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallas3sfxr-b
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: as3sfxr-b  (Read 14475 times)
increpare
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2011, 10:43:38 AM »

I'd say go with the current version.  It'll still have plenty of new stuff that you haven't played with before.  Also, I want to get the new version Right, which might take a while (it's slowly approaching stability, but I want it to be good, so it might take a while longer to get an official release out).
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2011, 12:07:55 PM »

It have more options than the original one. Really nice program!! I like it!!

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 07:27:42 AM »

Do you have any experience with VST programming? Would love to see this ported to a plugin so you could manipulate/generate sounds on the fly with a DAW. But I might be asking too much - I understand it's primarily for SFX rather than music production, and as it is, it does what it promises.
increpare
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 05:09:45 PM »

Do you have any experience with VST programming? Would love to see this ported to a plugin so you could manipulate/generate sounds on the fly with a DAW. But I might be asking too much - I understand it's primarily for SFX rather than music production, and as it is, it does what it promises.
I do have experience with VST programming, actually Tongue  However, I don't have access to a windows machine right now (nor do I have the time/inclination to move it in that direction).  From what I recall of the time I spent playing with them in my youth, it's not at all that hard to get a basic VST instrument set up - and all the SFXR synthesis code is written in a pretty portable manner.  However, the AS3 code wouldn't be the place to start, it would be the C++ sfxr code.
increpare
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »

I really want to make a whole ton of sound effects tonight but the new update might be awesome

Question for you.  When you were using the as3sfxr api, did you make use of the async caching (with a callback function for when it was completed), or did you cache in a single function call, synchronously?
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2011, 08:47:32 AM »

I used the async function (I think) and made a little loading bar screen.

Worked beautifully.

Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2011, 07:25:03 PM »

I'm evaluating the current build for features - this is the top candidate for sound effects for my current game, but I don't need to integrate it just yet.

So... I'd like to have randomization parameters during playback:

2,1,0.9,,1,0.21,,-0.01,0.47,0.8,0.2,,-0.03,,0.01,,0.7275,0.0015,0.48,-0.01,-0.18,0.27,-0.01,,,-0.03,,,0.505

is trying for a "babbling brook" water effect, but the bubbles are too regular. I need randomized pitch. A few instances of that mixed with noise and I think I can get some approximation of:

This is possibly too much to ask, but I also would like it to generate an auto-looped sample so I can cache these kinds of looping water/wind sounds without doing my own crossfading Beg

Apart from those I haven't had trouble coming up with appropriate stuff Smiley

increpare
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2011, 12:08:52 AM »

Hey, I was on a break from the forums.  Sorry for the late reply Sad

The suggestion about doing looping sfx stuff is really interesting.  Probably wouldn't do it with this build (sounds like it'd be cool to have its own program associated with it), but it's a definite strength of
1: procedural sound generation
2: realtime synthesis (given flash's mp3 looping troubles)

>is trying for a "babbling brook" water effect, but the bubbles are too regular. I need randomized pitch. A few instances of that mixed with noise and I think I can get some approximation of:
I already have a bunch of pitch-related sliders.  I can see the point of a randomization-related one, but don't want to add another slider (if you're doing flash stuff yourself, I will note that it's relatively easy to add/remove features yourself should your desire), especially given that your use case (looped sounds) is outside the typical one.

If you're randomly crossfading, you could try generate a bunch of mutations with randomized frequencies (this can be pretty slow to do, though, in the API).
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2011, 10:16:40 PM »

Hmm. Well, I already moved away from that project so my needs have changed again, and I'm leaning back towards using short samples instead of synth. It's amazing how that happens.

Overkill
Level 3

Andrew G. Crowell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2011, 07:33:31 PM »

Okay, I've known about this for a while, but I just wanted to say, that this is much needed improvement over plain sfxr. The history list is especially helpful. Only one complaint, is that you can't delete all the sound effect history without clicking the X on each individual item. If you hit Randomize a lot like I do, the backlog can get pretty huge, to the point that Flash says the application is requesting to store extra data on disk (This was after about 500 or so sounds).

It'd be nice if you added either a Clear button, or the ability to select multiple items, and bind the Delete key to removing sounds from the list. Then you could do a CTRL + A, Delete, or click a button and wipe as needed.

Anyways, that aside, I made a few nifty sound-effects, as a result! Some of them I will probably never use, but they were fun to generate, nonetheless:

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:42:46 PM by Overkill » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic