Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:49:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)ALIANTE! [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: ALIANTE! [FINISHED]  (Read 21921 times)
santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2011, 12:27:56 PM »

UPDATE: the game is finished! In two days this is the best I can do. I will upload standalones for MAC and pc in half an hour. In the meantime enjoy the webplayer

or watch a short video of the game if you hate unity/are on linux/ are on you work pc:

TWO MODES:

ARENA: hit your opponent's back with your glider to win!
RACE: Be the first to complete three laps!

The two modes are available in single player practice mode.

DOWNLOAD FOR MAC
DOWNLOAD FOR PC

Hello folks! We made this in one day, literally, that's why we didn't upload anything before.
We plan to finish it in the next two days so please give as much feedback as you can.
It's a racer! a splitscreen racer! Right now there is only an "arena mode" to test controls and such.

Rules are simple: touch your opponent from behind and kill him! the game support joysticks so please plug you 360 controllers and give it a try.

we also sopport keyboards:

PLAYER 1:
UP and DOWN for engine.
LEFT and RIGHT for steering
0 (as in zero) for BOOOOST.

PLAYER 2:
W and S for engine.
A and D for steering
1 (as in one) fore BOOST

tomorrow or later we'll upload the racing mode.

HUGS!

PS the music is a actually a new track for FOTONICA, so it's a little preview.
PPS F*ck there is a typo in the intro!

SCREENSHOTS:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:37:15 AM by santaragione » Logged

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 02:47:01 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Fantastic work for a single day!  Graphics are retro but enjoyable, even the music fits nice.

Few concerns:
1 - Your turning rate is incredibly fast, maybe it works better for joysticks, but I shouldn't be able to turn like that.  Another thought would be to limit your turning rate proportional to your speed, I think most racing games do that.
2 - Boosting seems silly given how fast you go anyway.  Maybe a larger playing world would help me appreciate it?
3 - The name doesn't strike me as being very good... though I can be a poor judge.

Can't wait to see racing mode.  You gonna try your hand at AI, or just leave it to humans?

-PENCERKOFF

Ashkin
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 09:06:13 PM »

This is really nice! I love the music, it's very cool Tongue The graphics are also nice.
I agree with Pencerkoff's criticisms. I feel it's strange that you start with a nice easy turn and suddenly VROOM you're turning on a dime. Which is not nice in a game where accuracy is key.
I also think a bigger world could be beneficial, although that may make it so that most of the game is spent looking for the other player.
The name could be more... relevant.
Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 11:35:56 PM »

Yay! It's a spaceship sodomy simulator!  Hand Shake Left Cheesy Hand Shake Right

Looking forward to it!

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
ink.inc
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 02:56:03 AM »

The name could be more... relevant.

It's Italian for glider... that's as relevant as it gets.
santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 11:11:47 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. New build is up with fixes + new effects for gliders destruction + Improved arena (made bigger as suggested)

YES it's really difficult to control but that makes for some exhilarating two player frustration: did any of you had any chance to try it with someone else? Also the crazy turning makes feints and acrobatics possibile. I understand that it feels very sloppy I will try some other set up, but please try it with someone!

I'm gonna try putting in some bots then I'm doing race mode.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8987830/ALIANTE%21/ALIANTE%21.html

santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »

Ok here is a first try at programming an AI for the arena mode.

It sucks!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8987830/ALIANTE%21aidemo/ALIANTE%21aidemo.html

EDIT: had some problems, fixed, should work now sorry for the inconvenience
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 11:40:30 AM by santaragione » Logged

santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »

NEW BUILD with practice mode!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8987830/ALIANTE%21/ALIANTE%21.html

Let me know if you like it a lot or a whole lot.

no seriously we need some honest feedback.

SCREEEN

santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 04:27:50 PM »

AAAAAAAAAAAnd done.

This is what you get.

Race mode w/ beautiful practice mode.

Not enough feedback folks! Maybe I should have joined in before the last two days, just sayin'.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »

I love the look of the game, really nice. haven't played it yet but I'll give it a try soonish.
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »

Loved the visual effects, and racing mode was pretty cool. Arena mode could have used something to spice it up, like powerups or something. Come to think of it, racing mode could use that too. At least pads that make you speed up, and maybe some unguarded sections of track you could fall off of.

But other then that, great job!

santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 09:36:10 AM »

Thank you for the suggestions. We plan on expanding the game if there is enough interest (we even toyed around with a shooting mechanic, you can see traces of this in the keyconfig window in the standalone).

Anyways here is a short video of the game for those of you that hate unity/are on linux/ are on you work pc:

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 11:23:34 AM »

The graphics are awesome! How did you get the fake low-res look in Unity?!? I would LOVE to use that in some of my games.

I will try this out once I can get someone to play with me. It might get played at the next MRGS meeting if time permits.

renkin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 11:40:25 AM »

Pretty cool. I like the visual style and swishing sounds. I usually don't like abstract graphics, but this spoke to me. My only complaint is that it's too difficult to see things in the distance. I also found it super hard to hit the AI's engine in arena mode. Couldn't do it once even thought I played a little while. Maybe I need other strats. Smiley

Versus entry: Battle Mode
santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 11:55:04 AM »

Yes it's a bit hard! But you can do it! :D i know I know... but if you get to kill the Ai than you are ready to challenge your friends  Tiger

please let me know if you finally get to try it with people, thanks everybody for your feedback.

AH the low res effect is achieved through render to texture where the texture is a very low res one!

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 01:56:58 AM »

Increpare, Terry Cavanagh, Sophie H and I tried this game for a while. Here's what we thought.

- gorgeous - love the style, plus low res chunky 3D.
- plays okay?
- lack of proper 321GO annoying
- some sort of slipstreaming/boost system would have been fun
- played for a while, tried all modes.
- one player felt they were slower than the other at one point, perhaps hard to gauge your speed.

twitter: @docky
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 02:34:16 AM »

Wow, this is great!!
Delicious tunes coupled with neon aliasing and challenging gameplay... Hand Thumbs Up Right

I'd like to suggest a tron/pizzaworm/snake-mode, though. I have the feeling that it would be even better (and matches wouldn't last so incredibly long).
santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 01:44:14 PM »

Increpare, Terry Cavanagh, Sophie H and I tried this game for a while. Here's what we thought.

- gorgeous - love the style, plus low res chunky 3D.
- plays okay?
- lack of proper 321GO annoying
- some sort of slipstreaming/boost system would have been fun
- played for a while, tried all modes.
- one player felt they were slower than the other at one point, perhaps hard to gauge your speed.

One cannot ask for a better team of testers! : D

Thank you for all the suggestions, 321go is a must, will totally add it if we work on the game more.
I wonder if you noticed that there actually is a boost button, but it's not explained in the game (...) if you download the standalone you can set it to whatever button you want - default keyboard is "0" for player1 and "1" for player2

Thank you for playing: the four of you should document you testing sessions!

santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 01:46:08 PM »

Wow, this is great!!
Delicious tunes coupled with neon aliasing and challenging gameplay... Hand Thumbs Up Right

I'd like to suggest a tron/pizzaworm/snake-mode, though. I have the feeling that it would be even better (and matches wouldn't last so incredibly long).

thank you! tron mode and dogfight were planned but did not make the cut, would be fun to add! Do you think this could be an open project where everyone can contribute with modes/glider models/levels?

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 02:48:09 PM »

Wow, this is great!!

thank you! tron mode and dogfight were planned but did not make the cut, would be fun to add! Do you think this could be an open project where everyone can contribute with modes/glider models/levels?

I do by all means support that idea, however, I don't have much skill to speak of myself, so I'm unsure as to what I'd be able to contribute with... (Unless you happen to have a nifty level editor hogging space in your hard-drive?)
 Durr...?

Anyway, thanks for the great game (the people in the gaming committee at my school are bound to love it, too, when I show it to them), and good luck in your future endeavours! Grin
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 12:34:07 PM by Theon » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic