Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:54:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Volcano Brothers (initially known as Hungry Turds)[FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Volcano Brothers (initially known as Hungry Turds)[FINISHED]  (Read 4943 times)
YellowMonkey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:24:33 AM »

Hey guys this is indieus from YellowMonkey (our indie collab studio here in India). I should have posted this thread long back when it was in the making to get some critical feedback.Oh well, no worries ! More competitions should be around the corner Smiley

This is my first solo Flash/Flixel effort. Touched programming after a long long time and felt good to be back ! It started off trying to take cheap shot at Angry birds but after I discovered an awesome soundtrack from ccmixer , the sound really drove my direction for the game, now called Volcano Brothers. My default template was 480x320 so I ended up making the game small sized, sorry for that !

Initial Concept

Changed to fit the music

Im not completely done with the game , there was a lot more I wish I could do before submitting the game. But Im happy to at lest have a playable with me. So here is my entry.

Controls: Player 1 : S/D for direction , Space bar for shoot
Player 2 : Left/Right for direction , R.Control for shoot

You can add power to your shot by simply keeping the shoot button pressed

Backstory : Two brothers punished for their sins on earth. Trapped inside a volcano they still keep fighting, blaming each other for their current state. Its their hatred that causes volcanoes to erupt, a common spectacle for the flame spirits residing within.

You can play it here: http://www.yellowmonkeystudios.com/blog/2011/02/27/versus-entry-volcano-brothers/

DOWNLOAD SWF

Music  Credits: Brad Sucks - Dirtbag (Blackberry's Dirtbeat Remix) on ccMixer,

Personal Notes:
Im not sure how far I can take it from here , initially the plan was to have fireballs with different curves and timings (think Bit trip Beat) however I really fell short on time. Some other ideas were to make breakable environment and have more control over the fired shots. I missed out on animated lava / animated flame shots as well. I have been very liberal with hit areas for the fireball making the game relatively easy.Please leave your insights behind !
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 11:33:01 PM by YellowMonkey » Logged
sepharoth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 10:36:49 AM »

Very demo-y, but it has obvious potential and is a nice romp with a friend.
It needs a preloader, I thought flixel gave you one though...

YellowMonkey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:47:30 AM »

Yea I had added the Preloader in my main like this [Frame(factoryClass = "Preloader")], I guess Im doing something wrong. Will check it out Smiley
YellowMonkey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 09:49:14 AM »

Okay I guess its working correctly now Smiley Can someone check and let me know ?
tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 03:35:50 PM »

Great graphics & music.
We had trouble playing it though, because:
1. In internet explorer, Ctrl+D is a shortcut to add a new favorite, so it constantly stopped the game for us, was very annoying.
2. It tooks us a while to figure out that we should be aiming at the fireballs and not at each other (and I'm still not completely sure if that's what we need to do). I would add instructions for what your goal is, and also would add some sign (visual + sfx) for when we hit a fireball, to help make this clearer.

YellowMonkey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 11:27:38 PM »

^ thanks for the feedback. I knew IE would definitely cause a problem, but i assumed most players would be suing FF or GC. I have added a direct link to the swf in the OP so you can download to your desktop Smiley

Big Laff well I had hoped figuring out that you don't have to aimlessly hit each other would be part of the fun Smiley It is definitely lacking a lot of visual/aural feedback (Also wanted to have damage visually shown on the statutes) I will be revisiting this soon to make it more playable.

Beer! Cheers !

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 11:34:01 PM by YellowMonkey » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic