Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:39:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)[FINISHED] Jesus vs. Dinosaurs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED] Jesus vs. Dinosaurs  (Read 35322 times)
grapefrukt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2011, 06:34:29 PM »

Martin and Petri bring the intelligent into game design with a special Tournament Edition of their Global Game Jam creation. Join the fight for the survival of the fittest!

VOTE HERE

Download link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4361365/jesus.zip
Alternate download link: http://www.kloonigames.com/temp/jesus.zip

To play the game you need 2 Xbox 360 controllers. Or I highly recommend it. There are keyboard controls, but they're a bit untested and it's probably going to get very crowded on the keyboard.

The main goal is to try to get a car across. The player who gets a car across to the other side of the screen gets a point. Who ever gets 10 points first wins the game.

You can build cars from the tetris blocks, by rotating them and placing them down. The blocks can't overlap, but they must touch each other. There's a timer that ends your building phase, what ever you've build will land on to the playing field and hopefully will start driving towards the other end of the screen. When you're in the simulation mode, you can drop bombs by pressing A button, if you have any.

You can get bombs and other power ups from the crates that fall from the sky. If your car touches the crate you'll get a power up. Usually it's bombs, but it can be something else as well.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:06:46 AM by grapefrukt » Logged
BoxedLunch
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 06:45:10 PM »

go on...
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 07:11:53 PM »

More stuff to come!
Only got 4-5 hours, bro.
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:04:47 PM »

Your zip file is corrupted! )=

gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 11:59:58 PM »

We're in San Francisco and the internet connection at the hostel is super bad. The dropbox is still uploading the game to their servers. I uploaded the game to http://www.kloonigames.com/temp/jesus.zip

Petri Purho
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 11:20:36 PM »

I... completely... didn't get this game... Concerned Maybe it's because the game window was too large for my desktop (I have 1366x768px screen) or maybe because the readme file was from another game.

Oh, wait... does it mean... me no fit?  Beg Me no survive? Cry
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:47:57 PM by goshki » Logged

RSD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 10:18:22 AM »

I... completely... didn't get this game... Concerned Maybe it's because the game window was too large for my desktop (I have 1366x768px screen) or maybe because the readme file was from another game.

Oh, wait... does it mean... me no fit?  Beg Me no survive? Cry

... i didn't understand the game either  Embarrassed

Hyper Emerson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 06:22:33 PM »

The game's screen size is gigantic and therefore is unplayable in my netbook, but it looks like some sort of Tetris variation.

It seems we're supposed to build a vehicle out of the tetriminos, but i couldn't figure what to do to win the game.

OH WAIT, THERE'S A MANUAL IN THE GAME'S FOLDER! HOW SILLY OF ME!

Let's see... "Maze of Space, a game about killing space monsters. I'm trapped on a space station... Arrow keys move, Ctrl or Z shoots" and, huh?

Oh, what the hell, grapefrukt, tell us what's going on in this game!
And please make it so i can make it's window smaller, or fit it in my screen at full screen mode!
PlayMeTape
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 11:34:53 AM »

Bäst!
gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:06:52 PM »

Embarrassed   Sorry... We were in San Francisco so didn't exactly have too much time on our hands. I updated the documentation of the game.

---

To play the game you need 2 Xbox 360 controllers. Or I highly recommend it. There are keyboard controls, but they're a bit untested and it's probably going to get very crowded on the keyboard.

The main goal is to try to get a car across. The player who gets a car across to the other side of the screen gets a point. Who ever gets 10 points first wins the game.

You can build cars from the tetris blocks, by rotating them and placing them down. The blocks can't overlap, but they must touch each other. There's a timer that ends your building phase, what ever you've build will land on to the playing field and hopefully will start driving towards the other end of the screen. When you're in the simulation mode, you can drop bombs by pressing A button, if you have any.

You can get bombs and other power ups from the crates that fall from the sky. If your car touches the crate you'll get a power up. Usually it's bombs, but it can be something else as well.

Petri Purho
edmundito
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 08:39:10 PM »

Played this at a party in GDC and even met Jesus himself! It's an amazing game.

I would love to see it out in consoles. Smiley
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 09:08:47 PM »

This game is totally awesome. As Renaud said, it was very much enjoyed at the Montreal Indies meetup. Powerups were hard to use but usually resulted in comedic backfiring. Everyone booed when God won.

The title screen doesn't give a clear idea that you are supposed to get your cars across the other side. It is kind of weird the way the construction GUI is kind of just overlaid on top of everything else, it should probably get a backdrop or some other visual separation. The ding-ding fight bell noise gets kind of annoying after awhile. No other complaints.

I figured out that long, thin cars tend to work best because they just rocket into the air and fly over any opposition. Tall cars tend to get to the middle then flip/tip over, so they are useful for messing up your opponent. Beware blocks with "nubs", a single nub pointing downward will immobilize your car. If you feel your car is complete, don't feel the need to add any more blocks, it will usually just make it worse.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 01:38:06 AM »

I enjoyed this game much more at GDC than I did at home, I'm not sure why. Were the less points to win at GDC?

Increpare, Terry Cavanagh, Sophie H and I tried this game for a while.

- Love the graphics and humour
- ten rounds is too long
- dinosaurs don't roar
- jesus doesn't make jesus sounds (roaring or 'ahhhh')
- Really fun concept, but the two conflicting gameplay types make it confusing.

twitter: @docky
charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 12:36:22 PM »

I'll be at Fantastic Arcade this Sunday to see the director's commentary on this game! Hopefully I will make it there tonight in time to see the competition too!

Beer! from a fellow compo entrant.

Animal Phase (twitter) | Local TIGSource: Crevice Climbers | Past: Puny Human
IQpierce
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 06:57:02 PM »

Really enjoyed playing this for the first time (with a contracting client and fellow Midway veteran) at Fantastic Arcade. Also great to meet Petri and Martin, and inexplicably receive a can of spray-on fake blood from the latter... Smiley

Nice fast competitive game with a ridiculous-but-very-fun theme!

One guy trying to make some interesting decisions.
naron1034
Level 0

N4R0NW0RK5, 1NT3RN4T10N4L

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 11:02:28 AM »

Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Any Key Hand Any Key Hand Clap Toast Right Toast Left Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Left Bro Fist Right Bro Fist Left Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Left Hand Point Right Hand Point Left Hand Money Right Hand Money Left Hand Knife Right Hand Fork Left Gomez Ninja Wizard Noir Tiger Panda Waaagh! Who, Me? Facepalm Shrug Giggle Corny Laugh Durr...? Big Laff Epileptic Crazy Concerned Droop Blink Cave Story Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Evil Sad Shocked Cool Huh? Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided WTF Lips Sealed Undecided WTF No No NO Kiss Well, hello there! Tears of Joy Cry Yawn Tired Beer! Beer! Coffee Coffee Gentleman My Word! Addicted Beg Apoplectic Outraged Mock Anger Screamy
go on...

/////|\\\\
         /|| == ==||
         /||  |  |||
         /||\   - /|
         /|| -----||
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic