Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:49:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsZombies, Brains and Automobiles (update 30/03/2011)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Zombies, Brains and Automobiles (update 30/03/2011)  (Read 7182 times)
streetandtrackjames
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2011, 06:11:09 AM »

I'm new around here and thought i'd show you all a project i've been working on.

I was having a little search through my older stuff, and fondley remembering Auto Rampage, now i know my main hurdle all the time was the car handling engine and how i couldn't for the life of me make a car slide, well after a while away from making games i came up with my own handling engine which although it isn't perfect it's a whole lot more involving then anything i have done so far.

Anyway as i'm at work i can't find the download link but here is a few screenshots of work i've done on it older stuff first. It's not really a game right now you just run zombies over.

Heres how it looked to start with

Added in some breakable benches, were the shards of wood can kill nearby zombies

Slidey Slidey

Some zombie splattage

Shadows added

Textures added and trees changed abit to look more like well...trees lol

What you guys think?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:17:09 PM by streetandtrackjames » Logged
streetandtrackjames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 05:41:52 AM »

I have a few things i'm proud of on this.

- breaking a bench and having the shards kill nearby zombies
- the zombie crowding mechanic so they surround your car
- the burnout move so you can light up your tyres making any zombies caught in the smoke dizzy
- and obviously the sliding is great fun i think.

Heres the controls

arrows - to drive
Space - handbrake
down arrow and then hold up while down is held to do a burnout

i've managed to make it so after a few seconds of a zombie touching you a big bloody boarder appears on the screen which won't go until you hit a certain speed, it keeps getting more and more transparant and then some blood comes from the back of the van and some limbs to give the idea of the zombie been chucked out of the car.

Got a little bit of work in on this this morning to our lasses displeasure lol. Made a damage counter, now collisions with benches/trees/portaloos and the toilets. I have also made it so that when the hand comes on the screen it starts to damage you until you speed up enough then a zombie flys out of the back, didn't have time to take a pic as i had to go to work.

Ok just had a discussion about my game at work with my mates and we have decided a storyline now.

Zombies have taken over the world and you stand alone as the only only ice-cream van, zombies come from all over for your 99ers as all the brains have been eaten...apart from yours! Now lets stop this zompocalypse one cone at a time.

Slogan for title screen: Serving up 2 scoops of mayhem, and a flake!

i think it's mint and original too what you guys think?

Got some more ideas to put up, thinking a combo bar for running over zombies then after say you reach 20-30 in a row you get an ice-cream blob appear on the playing field which can have various effects based on flavor.

Pink Bubblegum - giant ice-cream van
Guarana - increase top speed
Ganja - Smokey screen
strawberry - doubles the gore

and thats it so far, also the combo bar is gunna be an ice-cream cone were every 10 you get a brain scoop added, until you get like 50-60 and then a finger bone appears in the top of it like a flake lol. all comments welcome.

streetandtrackjames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 03:28:05 AM »

heres the a download of it so far

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22197067/Zombies%2C%20Brains%20%26%20Automobiles%20v1.5.exe

please can you comment as i want some feedback on this  Smiley
Slimebeast
Level 1

BARF JR.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:43:09 AM »

I really like this. I was trying to get something similar off the ground a while back, but of course it never went anywhere. Title was "Undead Ahead" and I even got UndeadAhead.com - heh.

If you need any sprites, etc. let me know.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:55:01 AM by doompuppet » Logged

streetandtrackjames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 02:14:15 AM »

well hopefully this can give you the urge to get back on it, really chuffed you like it mate, ive got two new versions since that download but as knowone was posting i wasn't sure whether to keep posting. Heres an update and heres the latest download for you to see what you think.

Also added the youtube video link too.

- van needs to be above 6 to have drift splat appear now
- made all formatted text into active objects as the font didn't appear on other computers
- removed the bits of paper floating around
- fixed tree collisions
- added slogan to title screen
- added even more zombies
Update

added more buttons onto the menu screen, also added a border on the buttons to make em look alittle more pleasing to the eye. I'm looking at sorting a custom photoshopped background next

Update

found a sweet image on the net, just darkened it and desaturated it aswell. added some cracks to the buttons to make it look cooler and also altered the text too.

Update

been working on a windscreen wiper suggestion someone made on Daily Klik, means for every 10 zombies you hit you get a zombie splat on the screen hindering your view, the idea is the longer you can last without using your wiper the better as each use of the wiper costs 10 points.

I think its another cool strategic element but let me know what you think, heres some screenshots and the latest download.

heres what i've done

- drawn my own zombie hand
- added windscreen wiper and blood splats
- added more to the park level

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22197067/zombies%2Cbrains%20and%20automobilesv1.7.exe 5.64mb

swordpond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 07:42:24 AM »

I kind of like this. Only thing I would remark on is the graphics. The view of the truck and the zombies is impossible, seeing as they're in a top-down perspective, but trees and other obstacles are in another angle. Thus making it kind of awkward to look at.

Nothing else though. The graphical style looks good.

streetandtrackjames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 12:38:32 AM »

Update

Last night i've mostly being drawing TREE'S! Found a tutorial on the internet on how to do pixel art and thought i'd give it ago so redone the tree's and also the portaloo's aswell as making the toilets zoom in then out again to make it look like there flying into the air and also added parts for when you destroy the portaloos aswell all done with some lovely dithering lol.

Anyway heres the pics

streetandtrackjames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 12:40:12 AM »

Cheers for your comments mate. I thought that the trees was the same perspective as the van although i know what you mean with the zombies been top down as it would have been alot more work to have them on an angle.
streetandtrackjames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 04:20:25 AM »

Update

Feeling very happy with the park death level now so finished working on the night level of it last night and it's really coming along.

added countdown now which i'm pretty proud of

The differences in the night levels are

- no combo breaker
- zombies are twice as fast
- zombies are almost invisible until in the headlights

What you all think?

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 04:30:52 AM »

This looks like a really fun game  Beer!
streetandtrackjames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 12:13:59 PM »

feel free to give it a go as the download link is just above mate  Smiley
streetandtrackjames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 02:10:58 AM »

Update

Main menu pretty much finished now, made it a scrolling playfield so when you press Slaughter mode the screen scrolls down to the map select part Smiley

More or less finished the night level now, made it so your light illuminate bits also made the HUD go infront of the dark overlay.

Heres some new pics guys

Heres the download let me know what you think.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22197067/zombies%2Cbrains%20and%20automobilesv1.8.exe
streetandtrackjames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 03:58:12 AM »

Tiny Update

- Made it so if your at the map select section of the screen and you press ESC the screen scrolls back up to the main menu, also when screen scrolls you get a lift chain sound which i think works well.
- has a problem at the moment, if you press ESC to scroll up to main menu then press a button again it skips to the level

updates guys

- Road works level is in progress
- added it to the map select screen
- added road works on new level
- added "death from above" for when you get bits of portaloo ontop of a zombie
- added steam roller to level/works same as the trees

Some screens below

Latest download below

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22197067/zombies%2Cbrains%20and%20automobilesv1.9.exe (6.32mb)

Update

- Fixed menu issues now
- used custom font instead of comic sans (get the bubbly out lol)

streetandtrackjames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 02:17:25 AM »

Update

-Made the light beam lighter now and also altered the back of the image to make it look like the vans rear lights are on.

-light beam not stays in position even if your sliding

-made top speed from 60 to 65 now, just for you Hoj

-added crosses on top of controls and checkpoint as these can't be selected yet

Heres the latest version

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22197067/zombies%2Cbrains%20and%20automobiles%20v2.exe (7.1mb)

streetandtrackjames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 12:05:54 AM »

update

- Road Works level day finished
- cone impacts sorted
- objects can now land on each other like bits of portaloo can land on top of trees, toilets can land on roadworks and destroys them now.

Heres a quick piccy

Let me know what you think of the latest download

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22197067/zombies%2Cbrains%20and%20automobiles%20v2.1.exe
streetandtrackjames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 11:17:24 PM »

UPDATE

- fixed bug were you get 100% damage if you hit the side of the jump
- started working on Road Works night time level
- started to rework the map menu to include all the game modes instead of choosing them on the main menu
- started work on a new mode called bomb run were you get time by hitting zombies then when it hits zero your van blows up
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic