Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:32:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs8-Bit Zombie Sim
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 8-Bit Zombie Sim  (Read 4009 times)
CantStrafeRight
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2011, 02:38:12 PM »

This is the first time I've posted on the TigSource forums, and I'm not normally the kind of guy that posts about games he's currently working on, so please be kind.

My game is called 8-Bit Zombie Sim and its kind of a cross between River City Ransom, a roguelike RPG & Left 4 Dead.  While the game does have 8-bit in its title, I prefer to think of it as being "loose 8-Bit", as I've deviated quite a bit from what a true 8-Bit game would be like.  My currant plan is to release it for Xbox Live Indie Games, with maybe a PC version later down the line.

Here's some screenshots:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:54:43 PM by CantStrafeRight » Logged
JoeInky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »

I'm going to be picky and say that it's not 8-bit, but it looks fun anyway.

Is there going to be any multiplayer?
CantStrafeRight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 02:47:55 PM »

I like the term "loose 8-bit" to describe it.  It was closer to being 8-bit originally, but I decided to move away from it for multiple reasons, but kept the name because because people were already calling by that name, and it would be a pain in the ass to change it now.

The plan is to have 2 player co-op.
Kramlack
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 02:53:48 PM »

Had to make an account for this, but it absolutely irks me when people call it 8-bit because they draw over some MegaMan sprites. It makes other people think it IS 8-bit and that's how you get stuff like this;

because people were already calling by that name

People keep calling it 8-bit because people like you don't care to acknowledge what it actually is.
CantStrafeRight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 03:40:43 PM »

People keep calling it 8-bit because people like you don't care to acknowledge what it actually is.

No one is calling it 8-bit.  I always refer to the game as loose 8-bit, because I know its not an 8-bit game. (track down every post I've ever made about the game through google if you want)

The name was a working title that some people latched onto.  Believe it or not people like you are in the minority, and I would rather keep a name some people recoginise than change the name just for people like you.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 03:53:52 PM »

Not to keep ripping at your title but,
No one is calling it 8-bit.
Thus means nobody should be latched on the title besides you, and calling him a minority for giving an opinion is just stupid and wrong.

That being said, the game's design looks fun, not to sure about the art style though..
It looks awkward, like trying to recreate a 16x16 mm1 sprite with an over sized resolution.
Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 04:10:26 PM »

Nonrestrictive style is okay, but you should atleast take the time to make sure the pixels aren't stretched, rather upsized in increments of 100.
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 04:59:53 PM »

Agreed. It's not 8-bit (or even "loose" 8-bit), but it does look fun.

and yeah, multiplayer is almost a must for something like this.

If you get rid of all the gradient shading and noise, the game would look a lot nicer in my opinion. Also the road lines should be fatter, shorter, and spaced farther apart.

wilbefast
Level 1

I am the cat who walks by himself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »

You should call it "8-Bite Zombie Sim": that way it's a pun and nobody gets angry with you  Wink

Awesome stuff by the way: 8-bit or not (and I'm far to young and trendy to have been alive back then) the art-style looks very noice  Grin

Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 02:37:27 AM »

It's actually a recent trend, based on nes megaman sprites.
AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 06:27:06 AM »

I think a title change might be beneficial, not just because of everyone complaining about the 8-bit inaccuracy. "8-Bit Zombie Sim" sounds like a prototypical title, just to be used for reference until you figure out a real title. It's like calling your game "Platforming Game", or "Video Game Project".
wilbefast
Level 1

I am the cat who walks by himself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 07:09:18 AM »

I totally want to make a zombie SIM called "second unlife"  Cheesy

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 07:56:28 AM »

I think a title change might be beneficial, not just because of everyone complaining about the 8-bit inaccuracy. "8-Bit Zombie Sim" sounds like a prototypical title, just to be used for reference until you figure out a real title. It's like calling your game "Platforming Game", or "Video Game Project".

Good point.

Call it ZombieMan. Problem solved.

DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 08:15:59 AM »

I don't care about the title, and the art style doesn't really strike me as that interesting regardless of how you or the dudes in here choose to define it.  However, the premise sounds awesome.

From the screen shots I can obviously see RCR and L4D, but where do the roguelike elements come into play?  Are you generating cities on the fly, do you only live once, random loot, or what?

CantStrafeRight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 10:19:58 AM »

From the screen shots I can obviously see RCR and L4D, but where do the roguelike elements come into play?  Are you generating cities on the fly, do you only live once, random loot, or what?

All of the above.  I kind of wished you hadn't of posted, but I'll explane why latter.

You should atleast take the time to make sure the pixels aren't stretched, rather upsized in increments of 100.

Paint.net messed my screenshots up when I shrunk them down to 50%.  All my ingame sprites are stretched equally horizontally and vertically.

Thus means nobody should be latched on the title besides you, and calling him a minority for giving an opinion is just stupid and wrong.

I didn't say he was a minority, I said that people that would have a problem with the name are in the minority.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 10:53:10 AM by CantStrafeRight » Logged
swordpond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 10:50:09 AM »

I think the game looks wonderful. No complaints at all here. And the premise sounds original and most of all, really really fun. I for one can't wait for something to try out, hopefully with co-op.

Don't give up on it because of the tough crowd in this forum, it looks absolutely marvellous.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic