Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:42:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopNPC and Character Design Critique
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: NPC and Character Design Critique  (Read 2255 times)
Theophilus
« on: February 28, 2011, 06:39:17 PM »

Hi all~

I'm looking for some critique on these characters I've doodled up and then made B&W in Gimp. Any suggestions for how to improve, or if you could whip up something to make it look better, would be welcome. They will be 3D models, not sprites.

Here are the sketches:

And here is the B&W version...

The characters are for a life-simulation game about living in a colony of robots. Some characters will be friendly (Top left; bottom right), others rude or braggy (Top right), and others mysterious. I would like to settle on these basic designs.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention I am not an artist, so this is pretty shitty work.
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:49:19 AM »

The designs have some potential. Here's a quick sketch to show you what I mean.

Keep it up.
Theophilus
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 08:32:14 AM »

I feel so embarrassed putting my crap in the same thread as this. Hm.

Anyway, I like what you did with the characters save a few details. I'll touch them up and get a schematic for the models.

Anything I should improve?
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 01:02:58 PM »

Well, the first character isn't doing it for me. And the rest could use more details and a lot of refining.

Here's another quick doodle to show you what could easily be achieved when you make some changes to your designs.

Theophilus
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 01:04:37 PM »

Yeah, I see what you mean. I actually liked the first character a lot, he shows the most personality. I was thinking of making him the player's character because he can be customized.. Do you think you could whip up a sample of him?
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 01:43:44 PM »

Sure, I would most likely do something like this..
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 03:21:09 PM »

I think the art style is a little too different though. If you look at the Bender-like robot on the upper right, you would expect a game full of bendy robots, possibly chrome-plated. The cartoon-character looking one simply doesn't jive (unless you are going for a Toy-Story feel where every robot is radically different).

Theophilus
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 04:31:03 PM »

Sure, I would most likely do something like this..

Looks good, though I may take it in a different direction when it's all said and done as far as colorscheme goes. That's good!

I think the art style is a little too different though. If you look at the Bender-like robot on the upper right, you would expect a game full of bendy robots, possibly chrome-plated. The cartoon-character looking one simply doesn't jive (unless you are going for a Toy-Story feel where every robot is radically different).

That is what I am going for. In this game, the setting is a little village that a jolly old scientists made for his robots. You are his latest creation and you enjoy your time in the village. The point of the game, directly, is to have fun. In others, it may be destroy Badass XYZ or collect these SUPAH-THINGS. But this one will just say 'Have a good time.'
thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 09:45:59 PM »

You might want to think about what each robot's function is, then design around that. It would seem logical. What is the robot's function? Does it need armor? Does it need legs? Can it get away with wheels? Does is need tank tracks for mobility? Does it need a rocket booster? Does it weld things? Chop things? Hammer things? Bend things? Does it need eyes? Does it use a motion sensor? Can it jump? Fly? Think about what the character is, and what it needs.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 05:17:30 AM »

All I see missing is a bit of "spark" in the lower-left guy. "Mysterious" means there's something to them worth inquiziting, and it just lacks that little "something." Perhaps something like narrow earpieces/phones would fit the bill a bit? Or a little antenna?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic