Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:14:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationRescue: The Beagles [FINISHED-BETA]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Rescue: The Beagles [FINISHED-BETA]  (Read 136108 times)
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2008, 02:33:05 AM »

Ah, that's how it's done! It works brilliantly- levels seem smooth, clever, and more importantly, fair.

In fact, I love how it all comes together- you have to be fast, but you can improvise  your way through any situation. It eventually gets you, but it's never unfair. Much more fun than muscle memory.
medieval
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2008, 07:26:57 AM »

This actually played better than I first thought it would be. I love the fastpaced-ness, and how.. well..

How it's just awesome.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2008, 08:58:44 AM »

Hi nenad,

I love your game, it's like a C64 game that never existed.  The mechanic is very effective, the powerups are fun and the game has a great consistency. 

I have two small things I'd love you to consider:

1.  I had a lot of trouble spotting the beagles sometimes, as the palette is similar to that of the powerups and enemies.  A nice obvious red arrow or something like it (maybe just when they appear) would help me a lot!

2. The parachute's really hard to get open for me, is there any way you'd consider making it automatic?

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2008, 09:11:31 AM »

Hi nenad,

I love your game, it's like a C64 game that never existed.  The mechanic is very effective, the powerups are fun and the game has a great consistency. 

I have two small things I'd love you to consider:

1.  I had a lot of trouble spotting the beagles sometimes, as the palette is similar to that of the powerups and enemies.  A nice obvious red arrow or something like it (maybe just when they appear) would help me a lot!

2. The parachute's really hard to get open for me, is there any way you'd consider making it automatic?

Personally, I found the beagle easy enough to spot, and if the parachutes were automatic that could lead to problems as it may open when you don't intend it to.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2008, 10:35:27 AM »

Thanks for the positive comments people.

For the folks who have problems spotting beagles, I was thinking adding an option of some kind of a flashing marker around the beagles that are nearing the left side of the screen.

Parachutes are part of the core mechanics and I will not be messing with it anymore. At least not until the next version Smiley

Quote from: MekanikDestructiwKommando link=topic=1816.msg47032#msg47032
I suggest a panic sprite just before you need to activate the parachute

Possible. But I guess it wouldn't help player react because you fall rather fast. If you make a misjudgment before the jump there's a great deal of probability you'll end up dead, with or without the panic sprite.

Quote from: MekanikDestructiwKommando link=topic=1816.msg47032#msg47032
(why does a manbaby and a soundtrack have the same name..?)

Because that manbaby worked on the soundtrack. There are actually two manbabies who  were doing the soundtrack. Rich already introduced himself. Now Aesqe, please step out to the podium and say something for the audience :spotlight: Wink

Oh, and Sar, that's a great explanation.
I did it pretty much like that with a tad more finesse involved. I used only 7 types of tiles in total. Must admit I was a little afraid that terrain will be too simple. But the emergence of the three layers and a parallax scrolling added just about right measure of complexity to the mix.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 10:37:47 AM by nenad » Logged
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2008, 10:47:50 AM »

The new version (still beta) is ready for download.
Get it from the same link:
http://www.16x16.org/download/beagles/rescue_the_beagles.rar
Link in the first post points there too.

Main thing is the online scoreboard. You can see top 10 from within the game. The complete table is at:
http://www.16x16.org/games/beagles/scores/

Other additions/fixes
- signaling the number of parachutes/ropes left when using them
- extra life on every 25000
- little less dense enemies and a bit slower beagles
- settings are automatically saved on quit
- annoying jumping-when-hanging bug fixed
- three types of bonuses you can earn at the end of each level
    - heap - for collecting all the items (+1/3 of the total level score)
    - defiance - for killing all the enemies (+1/3 of the total level score)
    - skyline - not using any ropes or parachutes (+2/3 of the total level score)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 11:14:34 AM by nenad » Logged
camosid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2008, 10:58:38 AM »

I like the old way better. Im not likin how easy it is to get lives. I dont know if im glitched but I had like full up on lives by the second level.
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2008, 11:02:32 AM »

Oops! I accidentally uploaded the debug version Cry

Please try to download it again in a few minutes.
aesqe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2008, 03:05:58 PM »

Um, hello, spotlight and everything  Shocked

I hope you all like the music and sound effects Smiley
Lancer
Level 0

What does it mean to accelerate?

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2008, 03:46:44 PM »

Do owls count as items towards the heap bonus? What about items that pop up right as you collect the last beagle?

If you haven't made it that way already I'm thinking you should make it so any items to the right of you as you collect the last beagle don't count against you.

Edit: Awesome, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 04:41:09 PM by Lancer » Logged

"Find out by racing balls down two tracks. Observe their speed and energy." -Lucas
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2008, 04:06:21 PM »

Do owls count as items towards the heap bonus?

Nope. Only parachutes, ropes and meds.

What about items that pop up right as you collect the last beagle?
If you haven't made it that way already I'm thinking you should make it so any items to the right of you as you collect the last beagle don't count against you.

You lose the bonus only if item (or enemy) scrolls out to the left. Anything that's still in the screen at the end of the level is not considered lost. So if you killed all the enemies except the ones you see on the "level complete" screen - you get the bonus. Same for the items.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 04:09:37 PM by nenad » Logged
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2008, 04:40:35 PM »

Oh my bad Aesque, you made the music! *duh*
Well, I like the music so..  Tongue  :D

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
RichVreeland
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2008, 06:06:11 PM »

aesque and myself each did a soundtrack, mine's titled "Disasterpeace", the moniker I use for my other music. Glad you dig it!
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2008, 10:50:53 PM »

I liked them both a lot  Smiley

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Quetz
Level 0

Eht.

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2008, 11:22:17 PM »

Really love this game. One of my favorites of the games I've played in the competition so far.
grickmin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2008, 04:13:29 AM »

Probably one of my top 5 games in this compo!
Awesome and sweet graphics. Gameplay is simple but smart and fun. ^^

Love this one!
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2008, 05:06:30 AM »

This is an evil, evil game. Nice and fast, easy to play, went splat more than a few times. The interface is pretty clear, I just ended up using my parachute more often than I meant to because of twitchy fingers.

I love the voices for the figures, they made me laugh every time I was playing it.
The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2008, 07:26:02 PM »

This game bugs out the graphics for all text and the little icons at the top of the game for my friend.  They're like orange and black stripped boxes, instead.  He's got Vista, though.  Is this a Vista problem or a graphics card problem?
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2008, 10:54:31 PM »

This game bugs out the graphics for all text and the little icons at the top of the game for my friend.  They're like orange and black stripped boxes, instead.  He's got Vista, though.  Is this a Vista problem or a graphics card problem?

I din't test it on Vista so it's not "officially" supported Smiley. This sounds like a graphics card driver problem though. It happens sometimes on one of my machines too. Restarting the game (several time in a row if needed) helps. If not, try to update the card drivers.

I love the voices for the figures, they made me laugh every time I was playing it.

And I'm constantly forgetting to credit Aesqe for all the voices in the game, including everyone's favorite "doggieees" Smiley

There goes: Voice Acting - Aesqe Smiley
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:56:56 PM by nenad » Logged
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2008, 01:08:20 AM »

Thanks for the Markov chain explanation! That's brilliant!
I consider myself smart, but when there are funny mathematical symbols I might as well be dumb 
Coincidence: Today I was working through a design problem in my head about managing randomness.. yay for Markov chains.
Ooh. I bet they'd be brilliant for doing AI in a game.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic