Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:52:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationRescue: The Beagles [FINISHED-BETA]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Author Topic: Rescue: The Beagles [FINISHED-BETA]  (Read 136611 times)
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2008, 02:33:51 AM »

If it's just there as an option for "whiners", why bother? Go with what you feel works better for the game.

Rolf_Soldaat
Level 0

Fast as lightning.

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 26, 2008, 03:50:40 AM »

Great game, but I seemed to die randomly at some times, I wasn't jumping or touching anything. Maybe some vista incompatibility?

Oh, and I'm not healing any puppies saying "Halp".
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 26, 2008, 06:05:26 AM »

I think the auto-chute could work very well. It would speed up a new player's understanding of the game, because getting to grips with the short falls is clearly the biggest turn off for people so far. After all, once you get to know the fall distance, automatic parachutes would be irrelevant really.

But, to have it as an option could create a divide in the highscores, and ruins the unity of the design.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: June 26, 2008, 06:26:30 AM »

I think I would have appreciated a "slow on the uptake, old timer?" mode that introduces elements of the game one by one, so that level 1 only had beagles on it for instance (to get the player used to jumping and falling). Then the ropes / parachutes would be introduced, then the enemies. I may go back to this after seeing Tim's video, which was awesome.

Congrats on the win, nenad!

RichVreeland
« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2008, 03:46:24 PM »

congrats Nenad! It was an honor being part of such an awesome project Smiley
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2008, 04:31:25 AM »

Very cool game, lots of fun. I think that the automatic parachute is a good idea. Mainly because it is hard to tell how far of a drop you can take without dying.

I thought it might be cool if there was a 2 player mode where the players have to try to save the most beagles.

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 28, 2008, 05:27:44 AM »

I thought it might be cool if there was a 2 player mode where the players have to try to save the most beagles.

Kiss
Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 28, 2008, 10:16:38 AM »

yea multiplayer on one keyboard!!! thats it!!! If you make your game open source ill put it in !!!
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 28, 2008, 01:31:49 PM »

Multiplayer would be amazing. I'm imagining horizontal splitscreen, with the same level for both players. Each player would take different routes. And maybe killing a primarius sends it over to the other person's side.

Wow, this has to happen!

RichVreeland
« Reply #169 on: June 29, 2008, 11:26:05 AM »

you wouldn't even need a split screen since the stages move on their own.  Smiley
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 29, 2008, 12:51:24 PM »

.... That's an excellent point! Even more reason for this to happen.

nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 03, 2008, 02:34:13 AM »

If it's just there as an option for "whiners", why bother? Go with what you feel works better for the game.

I was just joking, of course, but yeah, you've got the point. Which, after some more testing, got me thinking that auto parachute might not be as good idea as it seems. There's possibility I'll not include it after all.
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 03, 2008, 02:55:57 AM »

I think the auto-chute could work very well. It would speed up a new player's understanding of the game, because getting to grips with the short falls is clearly the biggest turn off for people so far. After all, once you get to know the fall distance, automatic parachutes would be irrelevant really.

But, to have it as an option could create a divide in the highscores, and ruins the unity of the design.

It's true that auto parachute becomes irrelevant as you get better. But once you get accustomed to it you don't really have any reason to turn it off. At least that was my experience while testing it. And if you never turn it off, you'll never learn the safe fall distance for the mere reason you don't need to. Hence there's no need to keep it an option since everybody will probably always have it on. And having it always on would rule out the whole "use the parachute!" part of the game. I wouldn't like that to happen because I think it's quite satisfactory to "master" the parachute Smiley
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 03:11:06 AM by nenad » Logged
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 03, 2008, 02:59:29 AM »

Multiplayer sounds good. It just might happen. Especially some kind of a co-op mode because that's more in the spirit of the game.

But it all depends on how much love will game get from the audience though. More love, more probable we'll see the multiplayer Smiley
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 03, 2008, 03:16:36 AM »

i will continue to donate my love to this game!

it is well deserving!
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: July 03, 2008, 06:01:21 AM »

I donate further love in support of multiplayer.

I'm also in favour of not adding auto parachute. It took me about two games to get a handle on the safe fall distance, and while I still occasionally misjudge and die, it's generally because I wasn't careful enough.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2008, 03:38:53 AM »

there is still a reason, not to use auto parachute, if you could. I open the parachute only as deep an possible, because it saves time.
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: July 08, 2008, 08:15:27 AM »

I agree too, after more playing auto parachute doesnt seem like such a good solution.

You pick and collect parachutes, they are precious, so you should determine when and if they are to be deployed to maintain their importance.

However I still find it harsh trying to judge the right safe drop distance (sorry, i suck Sad ) - I wonder if some sort of audio clue might work - like the panic scream in tomb raider once she falls too far to land safely.
After falling `x` distance the character could emit an `eek` warning, so if you are fast you could deploy `chute.

but then you fall so fast it may be no use... i`ll get me coat

nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2008, 08:51:19 AM »

Good observations, Krux and moogled.

I've already tried the panic sound and animation per somebody's earlier suggestion. It's not useful because it all happens so fast there's no time to perceive the warning and react.

So yeah, there'll be no auto parachute. That's definitive now. After collecting some more feedback it seems that majority of people had no problem with it after playing a couple of rounds. The complaints were mostly mere initial reactions to a ~shocking~ fact that you die if you fall too deep Evil

Oh, and thanks to everyone donating the love Smiley

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:02:28 AM by nenad » Logged
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: July 12, 2008, 01:26:20 PM »

you couldn't have the panic sound play as soon as the jump down is initiated, by checking the distance to the ground? Might be more useful than playing it when it's too late (when you reach the death-fall distance, that is.)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic