Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 06:45:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationRescue: The Beagles [FINISHED-BETA]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Rescue: The Beagles [FINISHED-BETA]  (Read 136453 times)
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2008, 03:26:06 PM »

I'm having some random glitches on my website. Try it again please and let me know is it working now.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:28:09 PM by nenad » Logged
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2008, 03:34:17 PM »

Haha awesome game! Nice atmosphere and music!

Only complaint was that it was very difficult to see when a jump was too far or not, but I don't know how to design around that issue.

nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2008, 03:43:25 PM »

Only complaint was that it was very difficult to see when a jump was too far or not, but I don't know how to design around that issue.

Play a bit more and you'll quickly get a feel for it Wink
Zaphos
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2008, 06:02:44 PM »

Very sweet game!  Kiss

There is a bit of a learning curve in realizing how far you can jump, what kills you, how to use the items, etc.  But it doesn't take long to learn and it was fun even before I'd figured it all out.  Also the difficulty curve feels just right, which is great work for a procedural game!

The gameplay has a nice multitasking aspect to it, I think because it really uses the screen space well and you always have to keep an eye out for the beagles.

And of course, love the pixels and tunes.  Thanks for making such a lovely game Smiley

(I haven't noticed the bugs so far -- I suppose I haven't played enough!)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 06:06:01 PM by Zaphos » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2008, 06:05:11 PM »

Still no luck downloading. Sad

Couldn't you use a mirror, maybe a file-sharing site like Filedropper (which I used for my entry. It has a few popups, but it lacks the immense bullshit of rapidshare)?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Lancer
Level 0

What does it mean to accelerate?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2008, 07:33:09 PM »

Wow, this is great. I can't stop playing. The one thing I think this game needs is better feedback when you're out of parachutes. The game gets too hectic to keep looking at the number in the corner. I keep jumping off cliffs after running out of them without realizing.

"Find out by racing balls down two tracks. Observe their speed and energy." -Lucas
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2008, 09:12:19 PM »

<3 this game pretty much made my life.

i cried tears of joy and laughed out of sheer happiness.
RichVreeland
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2008, 09:24:09 PM »

Wow, this is great. I can't stop playing. The one thing I think this game needs is better feedback when you're out of parachutes. The game gets too hectic to keep looking at the number in the corner. I keep jumping off cliffs after running out of them without realizing.

perhaps a warning when you are down to 1? although it's kindve a nice challenge having to keep track of how many you have, haha.. very old school in that regard.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2008, 09:54:20 PM »

For the love of bread somebody mirror this for me! Cry Cry

EDIT: Nevermind, got it. Kiss
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 10:20:02 PM by Melly » Logged

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2008, 10:29:16 PM »

i really love this game, though it took a bit to get the hang of.  it's sometimes tough judging whether a drop will kill you or not, and there are a lot of resources to keep an eye on.  in-game instructions would be nice on the titlescreen maybe?  but on the whole very fun, and one of my favorites in the competition so far.

and i love the color palette and the little owls.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2008, 10:39:37 PM »

This game's so awesome. Kiss I love the gameplay, graphics, music...

One thing to help with the resource management would be to, whenever you use any resources, the number of it you have left shows up above the character. I think that would fix it nicely, since it's pretty much impossible to keep an eye on the top of the screen during all the action.

Overall though, amazing entry.

camosid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2008, 10:51:30 PM »

Only addition I would love is an online scoreboard.
scottwashi
Level 0

I wash myself with a rag on a stick.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2008, 11:13:31 PM »

Owls as ammo = awesome!

Checkout my games at http://www.scottwashi.com
aparrish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2008, 12:55:20 AM »

Beautiful.  Completely got me into the flow... the algorithm you're using makes some surprisingly balanced (and very playable) levels.  Nice nice nice.
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2008, 03:49:19 AM »

This game is simply GOOD. I mean... REALLY GOOD.

Damn... this compo results in games being really good even after the compos. Smiley It's simply a great indie game.

BaronCid

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
ichi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2008, 04:35:30 AM »

This is great, I loved the screenshots but the actual game is alot more fun than I expected!
Most of the color palettes match pretty damn nicely, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

One of my favorites so far, for sure. and I second the need for an online scoreboard.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2008, 06:22:46 AM »

Looks sooo good. And it's so twitchy, and fast! I'll have to build up some finesse to get good at this. My best is a mere 85 puppies.

I agree, this looked good static, but playing it is something else.
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2008, 07:29:59 AM »

Thanks for trying it out and commenting everyone. I appreciate it!

The gameplay has a nice multitasking aspect to it, I think because it really uses the screen space well and you always have to keep an eye out for the beagles.

The usage of space, and in fact spatial/temporal metrics in general, is imo one of the most important aspects of any 2d action game. People tend to forget that. It's not rarely the case that you have a great looking visuals but the game itself just feels "wrong" somehow. The objects are too big or too small, moving at inadequate velocities, having too much inertia etc.

Empty space is where the action happens. Having not enough of it will tend to suffocate the rhythm of the play. This is often caused by using sprites that are too large. Just because we can blit a lot of pixels fast nowadays, doesn't mean we have to do it. Remember that most of the 2d action sub-genres were "invented" in the era when graphics hardware have had serious technical limitations. This is strongly reflected in the game mechanics. In other words, the mechanics of 2d genres is implicitly tuned to comply with the constraints of the 8 bit hardware. Good to have in mind when doing a retro styled game.

For instance, you can't take space invaders and enlarge the sprites x3 to make them look prettier and speed them up 4 times to make everything "more dynamic". Even if there's a strong imperative to do so beacause "pretty" and "dynamic" would supposedly be valued more by the audience. Nope! That'd screw up delicate spatial and temporal relations that made the original game so playable.

(I haven't noticed the bugs so far -- I suppose I haven't played enough!)

There's an ugly jumping bug in this version. It tends to show up as you get better at game and start to play more aggressive with lot of fast, chained jumps. You'll see what I'm talking about when you encounter it. I purged it now though.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 07:51:25 AM by nenad » Logged
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2008, 07:32:38 AM »

<3 this game pretty much made my life.

i cried tears of joy and laughed out of sheer happiness.

I'm glad to hear that.
On the other side - it made my life a regular hell last couple of weeks :D
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2008, 07:41:10 AM »

On the parachute count issue; I'll probably do as Melly suggested. Thanks, Melly!

At first I planned having the player sprite have a backpack if there are parachutes left. But that'll probably be hard to spot too as he's moving rather fast. And similar thing would be needed for the ropes. Not an elegant solution at all given the sprite size.

In-game instructions and enemy info was planned too. I'll put it in for the final release.

Online scores are being developed as I write this. I must admit I'm rather curious about how far the level can people reach Smiley
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 07:43:41 AM by nenad » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic