Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:36:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsCarJam
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: CarJam  (Read 1718 times)
tylerthedesigner
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:30:59 PM »

My friends and I decided to do a game jam while driving to San Francisco today for GDC. We left from Phoenix, giving us around 12 hours to jam. While that seems like supple time for jam, I assure you it is not very easy. We only had one power outlet in the car, constantly juggling power switches and averaging at 20% on all of our laptops. Also, the roads are very bumpy in Southern California, making it very hard to art and code. We also only had MSPaint, Gimp, Notepad++, and laptop touchpads.

I will put the game up once we drive back (round 2!)

For now, I will post a few screenshots and a explanation of the mechanics...

The game is a cellular automata/ AI driven RTS.
The player sets the DNA sequence (seen on the right in image 2) to declare the type of the next spawn. There are two kinds of resources- Chips and Dips. Chips allow you to build new Producers (base). Dips are food that can prolong the life of your "Pips".  When Pips spawn, they automatically assume their role, and do whatever tasks they are equipped to do. There are 4 stats (strength, speed, health, lifetime), and 4 Pip types. The 4 Pip types are as follows: Dip Collector, Chip Collector, Attacker, & Defender.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
codyfurr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:43:19 PM »

I'm one of the other members. Mainly the idea/name guy, since I'm driving and can't do too much. Tyler and I will bounce ideas off of each other, while we have the artist -arting it up and a spare programmer / technical director of svn's.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic