Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411952 Posts in 69435 Topics- by 58482 Members - Latest Member: Maiu

June 12, 2024, 09:35:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSquishy
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Squishy  (Read 1634 times)
Aardvajk
Level 0

Indie C++ Developer

View Profile WWW
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:50:03 AM »

For those of you who don't know about this project from GameDev.net, this is the physics-based platformer that I am currently working on.

Videos are available at my YouTube channel and a playable demo can be downloaded from my website.

Technical information about the development of this project is available at my GameDev.net journal.

Any comments or feedback would be appreciated.

Aardvajk Software
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:12:00 AM by Aardvajk » Logged
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:07:58 AM »

Hello! The screenshot is so interesting, but the links are broken... Huh?

Aardvajk
Level 0

Indie C++ Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:12:35 AM »

Bugger. Thanks for the heads-up yajo, BBCodes seem different everywhere.

Fixed now. Smiley
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:40:34 AM »

The video is fantastic! I can't play it Cry (Linux user) but in the video I see no enemies. Are you going to introduce enemies sooner or later? However, congratulations, solid game so far!

Aardvajk
Level 0

Indie C++ Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 08:50:35 AM »

Thanks yajo.

No firm plans. Nice part of being a solo indie developer is that you can just sort of stream-of-conciousness develop without having an overall plan.

I did, however, recently beat myself senseless upgrading the version of Box2D used by the project in order to facilitate easy raycasts, one application of which being the development of some kind of AI.

Thanks for the comment.

Aardvajk
Kloi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 08:57:15 AM »

I played the demo, it was short and sweet.
The physical engine reminded me a bit of teeworlds, but it is still a very different.
With the brief bit of story I was impressed, although I was a bit  confused as to why the squishy was so despondent to have escaped from hell.
I had a bit of trouble timing having to press the mouse button again to release my arms; maybe you could include an option where you hold down the mouse to grab, and releasing the button releases your arm?
Fyren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 10:26:58 AM »

So, I started this and immediately got stuck between the box to the right of the start and the stone platform.  The game wouldn't let me use the arms yet.  But it seems like it could be fun, though swinging around felt kind of... muddy?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:32:47 AM by Fyren » Logged
Aardvajk
Level 0

Indie C++ Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 02:03:32 AM »

Thanks for the replies and the interest.

The story is just made up nonsense at the moment hence the fact it makes no sense. It's all scripted so will be easy to change once we get to that point.

The boxes near the start have been removed as it is indeed too easy to get stuck before you have the arms enabled.

Ref the swinging feeling "muddy", could you elaborate? The linear velocity of the player is capped to prevent the player bursting when it hits walls but do you mean something else?
Fyren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 06:30:40 AM »

I guess it's the capped speed.  The swinging speed didn't feel right/consistent with the normal gravity for jumping around.  It's not a big deal.
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 02:08:51 PM »

I can't play it until i reboot (in Linux right now), but the only thing that bugged me in the video was the sound panning. Even if i clap into your left ear, you can hear it in your right ear, just less. Similarly, even when something is to my left in the game world, i don't expect it to play full volume into my left ear only.

Other than that, looks neat! One of the videos showed a level with fire and water. That looked interesting, but if you put water on one side of a level and fire on another, then putting out the fire wouldn't really be a puzzle, it would just be tedious. Perhaps when i reboot and play, i'll understand, but will there be anything to make the fire and water more dynamic?

EDIT: Played it. Nothing to add. Short demo.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 12:40:20 PM by SplinterOfChaos » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic