Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:25:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsMidlands UK indie devs?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Midlands UK indie devs?  (Read 31226 times)
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 04:05:34 AM »

Shall we go with Browns then? Could try another location next time if you make it monthly.

I might ask a couple of people from work if they fancy coming along, if that's ok? (I work at a games company)
The more the merrier!

If you're going to be somewhere in easy walking distance of the station, then I'll try to make an appearance, at least for a couple of hours Smiley
Most of the suggestions here are 10-15 mins walk or so, would be good to see you there.

However, I might not be able to come after all, might be seeing family during the week.
Boo!

PaulForey
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 10:25:42 AM »

Awesome to see this is coming together now.

Can't wait for Wednesday. I'm currently completely re-jigging my Uni project into something which I hope is fairly unique. Of course I could find out if it's unique by googling for it, but I daren't do that yet Tongue

I'll try to have something playable(ish) for the pub, then. And Browns sounds good to me.
bluescrn
Level 1

Unemployed Coder / Full-time Indie :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 10:16:45 AM »

And Browns sounds good to me.

Is this the right place?:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/77/7715/Browns_Cafe_Bar/Coventry

and:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?cid=4595283953623148437&q=Browns,+Coventry&hl=en&sll=52.402477,-1.534612&sspn=0.070025,0.077821&ie=UTF8&ll=52.445757,-1.666145&spn=0,0&t=h&z=12  (more similar reviews at the bottom...)

Nasty doormen that don't like letting fat, old, or foreign people in?...  That's kind of offputting...  Not just a few comments either, about half a decade of comments on a 'ridiculous door policy' on beerintheevening (and 2.5/10 score)...   As a single fat not-exactly-well-dressed person arriving alone, I think I might pass...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:29:51 AM by bluescrn » Logged

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 10:25:51 AM »

Been loads of times and never seen any problems myself. But we can go somewhere else if you want.

Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 10:49:34 AM »

Huh, I've been there a few times and never had any issues like that either.

bluescrn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 11:40:05 AM »

Been loads of times and never seen any problems myself. But we can go somewhere else if you want.

Don't change your plans because of me... if I make it, it'll only be for a couple of hours due to work/trains anyway. And I've not got a lot to show off, just a stack of tumbling Chipmunk-powered boxes on the iPhone (which I'm quite happy with, it's all working nicely with the Airplay SDK, but it's a long way from being a game)

I'm just very 'anti-dress-code' myself, generally refusing to go anywhere that won't let me in wearing jeans+trainers - I'd just searched for the place on Google Maps, couldn't help noticing those reviews... No idea if it's maybe just a late night time Fri/Sat sort of thing when the place is busy - but with that many reviews over that long a period - certainly seems to indicate that they have (or have had) some sort of fairly messed up policy that goes well beyond keeping troublemakers out...  Strange...

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 01:45:10 PM »

I've never gone in there wearing anything but jeans and trainers. Also if it's any consolation I have nothing at all to show off. Smiley

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »

Glad to see some more UK meets!

twitter: @docky
bluescrn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 02:43:44 PM »

I've never gone in there wearing anything but jeans and trainers. Also if it's any consolation I have nothing at all to show off. Smiley

I'm sure plenty of people have a good night out there, but I think I've read enough now to stay away just on principle...  they seem to have one heck of a reputation...  more here:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186403-d800387-Reviews-Browns-Coventry_Warwickshire_England.html

Doesn't exactly sound like a friendly place... not exactly the usual moans about an occasional bad meal or dodgy pint, is it?

Ratchet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 04:10:30 PM »

Well I was worried by those links, seeing as I've only ever been there during the day, but then i saw this
if you are not homosexual or lesbian you will be treated like dirt!!
So I'm inclined to disregard this as chavs getting kicked out.
I've eaten there once or twice, and there's usually a wait to be served, but other than that I've never had any problems with it. Propellor knows at least one of the bar staff, he's not the sort to treat anyone like dirt :/

Well, we'll all stick together anyway; if the bad doorman in those reviews is there, and stops one of us from entering, we'll go elsewhere.

Oh. another thought: Brown's doesn't have wifi, so it might be worth a few of us swapping mobile numbers.

I will be able to come after all, hooray! But I'm not sure how long I can stay, and I don't have a laptop atm, so I can't show off the game I'm working on. I'll bring it on a memory stick on the offchacne someone else's laptop has pyglet and pygame installed  Embarrassed
Propellor can't make it, but I haven't poked Raggy about it yet, and he might be interested.

EDIT: After speaking to Propellor a bit, he says they do have a weird policy for turning people away. I'm still not sure we'd be the types to be turned away, though.

PaulForey
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 07:25:17 AM »

I too have never seen any sign of nastiness from Browns. I and family and friends been there plenty of times, including a few evenings.

The behavior the reviews describe is really shocking, and I'd be damned sure that if I saw any of that I wouldn't give the place a second glance ever again. Righteous anger on the internet yeah!

Regardless, if Browns doesn't meet our fancy, there's a few other places we could head to. Rosie Malone's is just across the road and does a cheap bit of Guinness, and Whitefriars is nearby and is an old ale house type thing.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 03:07:02 PM »

Whitefriars has half a well at the back Smiley

Sorry you couldn't come Ratchet. Fun times though, lots of good old super nerdy chat. Should be done again sometime.

Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 03:16:26 PM »

Cheers all for a lovely evening.

bluescrn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 03:23:10 PM »

Cheers all for a lovely evening.

Yeah, it was good - Browns wasn't as scary as the interwebs made it seem - decent food and some nice beers Smiley

PaulForey
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 03:53:41 AM »

Yeah it was good fun.

Definitely should make it a monthly fixture.
radcow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2011, 11:36:30 AM »

i'm in kidderminster but would love to get involved
PaulForey
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 07:56:08 AM »

Good to hear. I think if we are doing this monthly-like then the next one would be sometime next week.

A lot of the people last time were from the Warwick Game Design society, and since Draknek was the one who was in contact with them - and he's probably in Bristol during this one - I'll e-mail them to see if they're interested.

Who else is still game?

Also, would people prefer to change the venue or go to Brown's again? I'd be up for a change myself but it's entirely up to the majority.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2011, 08:26:16 AM »

I'm up for it. Don't mind where we go.

tigershungry
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 04:48:39 AM »

hello, Midlands folk. I used to be based up in B'ham and organised a few game meet ups (mostly with an indie dev focus) in B'ham and Leam but I've since relocated to London so these have gone on hold and I'm sure some of the old regulars from this would be interested to know of other meet ups in the region if this settles into a permenent slot. Theres also a real gaggle of indie devs beginning to pop up in Aston Science park in B'ham.

For people based in Staffordshire its worth following @wormella on twitter who works at Staff uni course and organises the Staffordshire are of the Global game jam up there.

And if we're talking Midlands then of course there is Game City Nights over in Nottingham- but this was always impossible for travel back from in the evenings on the trains and I'd been trying to rally up interest for a potential mini bus contingent but sadly not had enough take up.

tigershungry
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 04:50:15 AM »

ack and of course you have Indiecity based in Leamington who I'm sure would be up for helping get word out about a regional indie dev meet up!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic