Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:35:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHabitus
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Habitus  (Read 4010 times)
NickFaro
« on: March 05, 2011, 10:18:41 AM »

Habitus, a game my friend, UberFoX is working on.

http://uberfox.no-ip.org/home/Habitus/download.php

UberFoX wanted to make a game better than Minecraft classic, and more functionality than it. As a result, they created UberBlox, the prototype for Habitus. After a while, They created the "New Game" later known as Habitus. No one seemed to play it, even though it was better than Minecraft Classic in basically every way. I thought of posting here, to get some more potential players and supporters. The game has Minecraft textures to begin with, but since the textures are server-side, you can start your own server, and completely customize the blocks. In the final version, you will even be able to create new blocks! There's a color picker similar to the one in ms paint, with full 1000's of colors (according to UberFoX) and a feature to add your own map (realm) specific to you. (There's portals similar to Minecraft's too) Habitus will be actively developed if it gets some more players, I hope you will check it out, it's really much better than Minecraft Classic. If it does get developed, the updates will be posted here. (Hopefully)
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 07:12:28 PM »

cool stolen textures and sounds
NickFaro
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 07:33:04 PM »

They're filler, so you can replace them with your own if you start a server.
AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 09:02:35 PM »

Yeah, just replace them with some exclusive Habitus Texture Packs
NickFaro
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 05:18:41 AM »

Uh, those aren't compatible. You sure are going pretty hard on the game for an inspiration of Minecraft, even though Minecraft was inspired by Infiniminer. Roll Eyes
AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 08:11:16 AM »

No, no, no. Minecraft was inspired by Infiniminer, but this is a clone of Minecraft. They're two very different things.

UberFoX and team were hosting a Minecraft server and altering the source code of the server to allow for many cool new functions that didn't exist in other servers. This UberFoX server had around 20-40 people online at any given time.

Then one day without warning Minecraft homepage goes down (Not the first time this has happened) people think oh well just another short downtime it happens every day. This was no normal downtime it was planned to last almost a week.

So with no server (You can't even join your own Minecraft server if the homepage is down) to play on and no Minecraft to create stuff in something had to be.

That something was an idea to create our own Minecraft so we could play during downtimes of Minecraft homepage.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 10:09:41 AM »

are the minecraft textures even usable by others without copyright infringement? i didn't think minecraft was an open source game

NickFaro
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 11:04:54 AM »

This is more than just a clone of Minecraft, it's it's own new game. Get rid of the minecraft textures, and it's a brand new sandbox game. That "create our own minecraft" was the motto thing for Uber Blox, and Habitus is something new.
Sakar
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 11:48:18 AM »

They still just ripped the textures from Minecraft, which are copyright of Mojang.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 12:51:14 PM »

troll thread

eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 07:08:35 PM »

I think that the intro that was posted was in bad taste. Particularly the "No one seemed to play it, even though it was better than Minecraft Classic in basically every way" statement. It just comes off as arrogant. Some more reserved words would have changed the tone of the thread.

That being said, I don't think that it's a big deal to make a clone/inspired by what have you of another game. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Who can look at " Chrono Trigger : Crimson Echoes" and say it's just a clone ripoff?

NickFaro, IF you're using Minecraft assets, be forthright and don't make money off of them. And in the future, choose your words more carefully, especially when comparing your game to a beloved classic.

By the way, my RPG is better than Ultima 7 in basically every way  Roll Eyes

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 07:13:02 PM »

even if he doesn't make money off of them he could be sued over it, you can't just use art from someone else's game in your game without their permission (unless it's in the public domain)

i do think cloning (whether assets are stolen or not) is a pretty big deal, a lot of indies lately have had their games cloned/ported to other consoles without their permission, for instance lugaru and garden gnome carnage were both ported to iphone without the permission of the people who made those games

eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 07:14:09 AM »

even if he doesn't make money off of them he could be sued over it, you can't just use art from someone else's game in your game without their permission (unless it's in the public domain)

Technically true. It's a tough state of affairs and by default I'm strongly against stealing other's work but there is a less hardline approach to it too, when a critical mass has been reached.

I know it's a slippery slope, but when you've become the darling of the industry and made over 20 million pounds, you're mainstream and should expect some copycatting, it's just human nature. Minecraft's sales are approaching those of FF6, and there are a lot of fangames that are made in homage to that, using it's original graphics. I think that they're made because they touched a deep place in the fans heart, not out of opportunism. It's really hard to know where the line is, and I guess in some distant obscure way when you support a fangame (of a blockbuster) you take bread out of someones mouth, but not any more so than by buying food made with subsidized US or Canadian wheat.

i do think cloning (whether assets are stolen or not) is a pretty big deal, a lot of indies lately have had their games cloned/ported to other consoles without their permission, for instance lugaru and garden gnome carnage were both ported to iphone without the permission of the people who made those games

Porting a game without permission is totally wrong. By the way, I'm not defending the OP. I don't have time to police the indie game scene and decide if someone is or isn't crossing the line. I'm just saying that if you make a decision to make game modelled after another do at least the following: Don't profit from it, give credit clearly, be respectful and think of the developer (and their families).

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
NickFaro
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 01:37:47 PM »

This game is free, so Uberfox isn't making money. Here's a video of swapping out textures

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic