Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:50:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsGDC in review
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: GDC in review  (Read 12711 times)
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 11:51:18 PM »

My highlight was putting everyone on blast at Derek's after GDC.  Although carrying my stick all the way to San Francisco is a giant pain.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 12:11:55 AM »

also, the library meetup in all its nerdfunk-stank glory was a pretty amazing mess!
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 12:19:30 AM »

WE GOT KICKED OUT OF THE LIBRARY. WE WERE THAT HARDCORE.

It was so awesome meeting everyone! :D I got one of Cellulose's crayons. Mine is BLACK.

- Hugged by Daisuke Amaya after describing how I was affected by the moon scene in Cave Story

does he smell like peppermint and freshly cut roses like i have always imagined

What was really surprising was that he is incredibly tiny!

I was talking to a friend on IM when Pixel showed up at the Indie pavilion and he was like "you should see if you can steal him"

And I was like "well he's being very closely watched"

Man I'll never be good enough for Carmen Sandiego's gang.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 12:30:37 AM »

Pixel wasn't that small.  He wouldn't fit into a briefcase, anyway.  Tongue  And between Kill Screen's music and the nerd flu (a throat cough) that went around I still sound like solid snake.

mcc - it was great hanging out; mayhaps we'll collab on that opensource launcher product at some point down the road, eh?  And sorry for being all busy-like on Wednesday.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 01:58:03 AM »

$200-300 is about the going budget for one of these shindigs? Or has anybody else's mileage varied? I'd really like to make one sometime this year, though it would take some saving and planning on my behalf to do so. It's just as well, I'd much rather have more stuff that's tangibly playable and complete-feeling and less of a backpack full of disorganized design docs with the occasional random doodle thrown in. It sounds like a blast!

Though I suspect I'd do much of what I do here at TIGS instead; contribute designs/ideas to other projects and attempt to start interesting discussions too much. Like a procedurally generated platformer game design using index cards, or something retardedly basic like that, haha!

That reminds me. I either need to get a grip of color-coded index cards and 4" x 6" notepads. Or, if I'd rather make something tangible... avoid buying index cards and notepads like the plague.

Why does programming have to suck at understanding me?

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 02:07:34 AM »

$200-300 is about the going budget for one of these shindigs?

Keep in mind I'm a San Francisco resident. The $200 - $300 expenditure estimate is based solely on eating out, drinks, and cab fare. I got into GDC* for free (thanks Pierog!) and I didn't have to pay a plane ticket ($200 - $1200, depending on where you're coming from) or hotel fees (another $150+ if you don't have a friend to stay with)... *GDC tickets range from $200 to $2000 depending on which pass you get. If you're not a local resident, you should probably expect to pay anywhere from $500 to $1000 at the least during GDC week.

Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 02:27:01 AM »

Yeah I must have spent well over $1k in total for GDC, with flights from the UK, hostel accommodation, summit pass, food, booze etc.. but it will so very much worth it. Maybe too much partying this year which I didn't think was possible. ^_^

ChevyRay
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 02:32:26 AM »

-All the cool people coming by to play Octodad was awesome. Mega64, CliffyB, etc.
-Meeting some of the best people ever amongst the other IGF finalists and TIGSource crowd.
-KillScreen Loves Scandinavia party playing BUTTON and taking shots with Anthony Carboni.
-Passing out and receiving like sixty business cards.
-Watching people play Octodad on Kinect was cool.
-Spending way too much money on food and way too much time walking up/down hills.
-Getting to meet some of my heroes at the IGF Awards VIP Reception.
-Awesome indie talks given by Team Meat and Mossmouth.
-Indies give by far the warmest welcomes and are some of the nicest/most interesting people I've ever met.
-Playing the Winnitron.
-Finding a general direction for the future of Octodad and possibly a currently unnamed indie studio startup that I'll be working at soon.

GDC was the best thing I've been to all year.

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 11:27:58 AM »

Awesome: Feb 26 - Mar 2nd
Not good: Mar 3rd - Mar 6th (caught the plague)

Overall: amazing.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:41:42 AM by Pierog » Logged

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 12:09:14 PM »

Ah, so I'm not the only one that got sick?

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 12:14:50 PM »

Yah, it really took me out. My mono crept back up which sometimes happens when I get sick.

PlayMeTape
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 12:30:45 PM »

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to pop in and say that was an AMAZING week! Great meeting everyone and experiencing all the creativity and camaraderie in this community of ours.

Thanks to everyone that hung with me and hope I get to meet you again sometime soon!
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2011, 12:45:11 PM »

So what happens when you cram a dozen indie game nerds in a poorly ventilated little conference room for an hour and a half? Nerdfunk apparently. On the upside, it was a great way to see a lot of cool projects in person that TIGSource people were working on.

This was our second time at GDC, but a pretty good one. It's always cool to see the number of people that are using my physics engine. We went to the Touch Arcade party and a quite a few people recognized us and came up to tell us that they'd used Chipmunk in their iOS games. We also talked to a bunch of hardware folks there and they sounded pretty interested in getting some Chipmunk demo code up and running on their platforms. Intel was also handing out tablet PCs like candy (several hundred of them) to app developers to garner interest in their Meego platform. So that was sweet.

I suppose the best part was not getting sick. :p

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2011, 12:46:07 PM »

Yeah the day after I landed I woke up with a fever, sore throat, the shakes. I felt like god was trolling me since I came from fucking-freezing Michigan and I was still shivering in the sunlight.  Anyway it got out of my system pretty quick, but if I met you and acted kinda like a zombie, I do apologize. I was hopped up on Dayquill, advil, and vitamin C for a few days there.

Back home in Michigan, I think I bought some of the sunshine back with me tho, its all melty and I'm noticing living creatures moving around outside.. feels good man!
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2011, 01:02:58 PM »

blah blah blah..Back home in Michigan, blah blah blah

You live in Michigan? If I may be so bold, what city?

Kali
Level 0

ADVENTURE YEAH!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2011, 01:20:28 PM »

Too many damn highlights but I'll try to make a list:

- Super Crate Box multiplayer on the Winnitron! Actually, fuck, just playing the Winnitron in general was awesome.   Kiss
- Getting to see the Exploratorium after taking the sketchiest fucking cab ride to get there, but we survived so it was cool
- The indie rants, Kyle's impersonations at the end and the epic independence day speech
- Sneaking in to Mikengreg's table and getting to see the IGF up close was amazing
- Smores, Street Fighter and getting married in "the threshold" at Derek's house on friday night
- Post-GDC Disc Golf and wandering around on the beach
- The many meetups in the Westin Lobby
- Meeting so many incredible people for the very first time!! This is my 5th gdc but wow, I met so many people who have made the games I've known and loved for years now  Coffee Kiss I want to go again  Hand Any Key

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2011, 01:33:57 PM »

$200-300 is about the going budget for one of these shindigs?

Keep in mind I'm a San Francisco resident. The $200 - $300 expenditure estimate is based solely on eating out, drinks, and cab fare. I got into GDC* for free (thanks Pierog!) and I didn't have to pay a plane ticket ($200 - $1200, depending on where you're coming from) or hotel fees (another $150+ if you don't have a friend to stay with)... *GDC tickets range from $200 to $2000 depending on which pass you get. If you're not a local resident, you should probably expect to pay anywhere from $500 to $1000 at the least during GDC week.

It's a week long huh? Mmm. I live in Bakersfield (central CA) so the trip there and back isn't a big deal. I eat out fairly often, but I can usually duck the expense of it (I just get the entrees, no sides and not many drinks, it's amazing how much cash that saves!). The trick is gonna be getting a whole week off from work (yowza), and the campout. I might just attend a day or two of it, I didn't realize it was so long!

ExciteMike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2011, 01:36:58 PM »

Ah, so I'm not the only one that got sick?
I think pretty much everybody gets sick after GDC. I know I've been feeling like someone glued a dust bunny to the back of my throat.

PTibz
Level 0

Business Person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2011, 01:44:47 PM »

I just get the post-GDC depression syndrome. Came back home to everything just not being as cool or exciting.  Shocked

Octodad!
President/Community Manager at Young Horses
AndyKorth
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2011, 02:55:56 PM »

I suppose the best part was not getting sick. :p

Actually, I feel a tiny bit of a sore throat coming on. Early bedtime for me.

Howling Moon Software- Twilight Golf, Crayon Ball, and Unity3D stuff
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic