Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:13:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsGDC in review
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: GDC in review  (Read 12716 times)
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2011, 03:37:57 PM »

It was great to finally meet you all. I was definitely a newbie with all the cool and exciting parties to go to. But I think next year is going to be even cooler.

I like turtles.
dongle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2011, 05:49:58 PM »

The Indie Game Summit was the best part of GDC. So good seeing old friends and meeting new ones. High-fives all around.

tyronehenrie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »

It was seriously hard to resist hugging everyone I met. My highlights:

- Hanging out with Anders of The Dream Machine the whole time. He's a class act.
- Meeting Alec and playing the Winnitron with him for a bit.
- Getting busted by Chevy as I gazed at his beautiful face awkwardly.
- Meeting so many of my heroes and just taking in all of the intense passion everyone shares.
- Everyone at the Winnitron that I got a chance to talk to was awesome! I scored a very special business card too.
- Nicest people awards go to Alec, Greg Wohlwend, Christoffer, Lisanne Pajot and Richard Flanigan (Fract)

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2011, 07:19:35 PM »

Top hangout partners:  Beau, Ted, JW, Pietepiet, Chevy, Ricky Haggett, Dick Hogg, Mcc, phubans.  Sorry if I forgot anyone.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
anosou
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2011, 07:31:07 PM »

Hey nurds Smiley

— Was NOT recognized by ANY of the indies...
— Smelled really bad most of the time
— Did NOT win Excellence in Audio
— Realized the only good american food is mexican
— Didn't get a single potential job

oh wait, maybe I should bring up some good things

— People loved Cobalt, that was awesome
— Met a billion brilliant people
— Had a press audio roundtable/dinner with Pixel (Cave Story), Baiyon (Pixeljunk), Emily Ridgway (Bioshock etc.), Daniel Olsen (ilomilo) and Darren Korb (Bastion)
— Got fondled by a LucasArts composer in a sofa at a party with TWO DJs
— Got extremely drunk off danish aquavit at Killscreen and possibly made a fool out of myself
— Touched the lovely Josh Whelchel, Rich Vreeland and Danny Baranowsky multiple times
— Played the Winnitron
— Got interviewed for Infinite Ammo podcast (x-rated)
— Saw a gazillion nice indie games
— Got shirts
— Used a toilet bowl sink
— Lots of other stuff

<3 <3 <3
Kali
Level 0

ADVENTURE YEAH!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2011, 08:22:48 PM »

I recognized you! And got a free CD for it   Corny Laugh well, even though I have all the music already, haha.
PlayMeTape
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2011, 10:25:31 PM »

- Nicest people awards go to Alec, Greg Wohlwend, Christoffer, Lisanne Pajot and Richard Flanigan (Fract)

Aaaw, it was really nice meeting you as well <3!

Oh and something I forgot to mention before that I thought was pretty funny was all the people that commented on how similar I looked to my avatar.  I always thought everyone would understand that was me! Cheesy

I recognized you Mattias!
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2011, 11:08:11 PM »

If any of you guys have a Facebook and we met and haven't become friends on there yet, feel free to add me:

http://www.facebook.com/phubans

No, I don't usually wear glasses. I was pretending to be Phil Fish in that picture. I think those are actually his glasses (cactus had them). Profile pic changed to THEY LIVE!

EDIT: Oh, also, I forced into making a Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/

I still don't really know how to use it, so whatever. Follow me if you want (ugh)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:32:55 PM by phubans » Logged

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2011, 11:27:30 PM »

Same here, if we met or talked feel free to add me Smiley
http://www.facebook.com/chris.zamanillo

Auratus
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2011, 11:49:13 PM »

It was really nice meeting a bunch of you folks! The library meetup (however briefly I attended after wandering around SF trying to find it) and the Killscreen party was awesome. I had a blast at GDC and I will definitely try to come again next year Smiley
anosou
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2011, 12:43:12 AM »

I recognized you! And got a free CD for it   Corny Laugh well, even though I have all the music already, haha.

You totally made my GDC actually  Beer! That was like THE best moment
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2011, 12:38:22 PM »

Hah, i didn't recognize people I met the day before ("vreeland").

AndySchatz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2011, 01:23:01 PM »

I got the nerdflu on Wednesday night, so I partied less at this GDC than in years past... BUT IT WAS STILL MY FAVORITE WEEK OF THE ENTIRE WORLD.

Maybe my highlight was deciding to hold a live Monaco playtest on the big screen at the end of my talk... on a whim.  Then without realizing it I invited Chevy Ray and Cellolose to be two of the thieves in the crew.  The game went great, no crashing, everyone seemed to get it, and the audience was cheering.  *PHEW*

I love GDC.  Indies are the best people in the world. :D

Pocketwatch Games - Monaco, Venture Arctic, Venture Africa
Kayla
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2011, 01:58:27 PM »

I had a fabulous GDC. It was wonderful to meet many of you for the first time and hang-out with my favourite people from last year.

The Winnitron was a highlight and must make the annual trek.

This was the first year I attended the Flash Game Summit. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in Flash development. This was definitely one of my favourite days.

The Indie Summit was beautiful and definitely the most condensed amount of awesome at GDC.

This year specifically I was glad to have an All-Access Pass to watch the Classic Post-Mortems. These games were built by the original indies and their spirit and stories are inspiring. Will Wright even stated the spirit of game development from his pre-Maxis days is very much the same as today's indie scene.

Who else is counting down the days till GDC 2012?
ChevyRay
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2011, 04:19:26 PM »

Yeah I had a really good time at the Flash Gaming Summit this year as well! It was cool meeting & being recognized by the Pushbutton and Player.IO crews, as well as meeting up with a whole bunch of the other industry pioneers Smiley

Maybe my highlight was deciding to hold a live Monaco playtest on the big screen at the end of my talk... on a whim.  Then without realizing it I invited Chevy Ray and Cellolose to be two of the thieves in the crew.  The game went great, no crashing, everyone seemed to get it, and the audience was cheering.  *PHEW*

This was definitely one of my favorite moments too, playing Monaco for the first time ever on stage, and getting totally whupped haha. Good fun!
AndySchatz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2011, 04:22:53 PM »

Also, seeing the creator of Fract tear up over winning an IGF award having gone back to school at 28 to learn how to make games was pretty touching. Smiley

Pocketwatch Games - Monaco, Venture Arctic, Venture Africa
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2011, 04:37:38 PM »

Also, seeing the creator of Fract tear up over winning an IGF award having gone back to school at 28 to learn how to make games was pretty touching. Smiley

Yeah, that was a great moment.

@doomlaser, mark johns
ChevyRay
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2011, 05:36:43 PM »

Haha yeah, especially in blatant comparison to Notch's "Yep. See ya!" aaannd off stage for grand-prize Cheesy
PTibz
Level 0

Business Person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2011, 05:47:33 PM »

Richard is a cool guy. A COOL GUY. Hedborg is pretty ok I GUESS.  Tongue Everyone was really nice and welcoming to the Octodad crew even though we're all nuts. I appreciated that.

Octodad!
President/Community Manager at Young Horses
PlayMeTape
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2011, 06:00:41 PM »

Well thanks, I GUESS!

(And here I thought we had something going on, I mean with the hugging and all!)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic