Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:21:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsGDC in review
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: GDC in review  (Read 12713 times)
PTibz
Level 0

Business Person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2011, 06:13:17 PM »

Well thanks, I GUESS!

(And here I thought we had something going on, I mean with the hugging and all!)

Chris, you know you so special to me. <3  Cheesy

Octodad!
President/Community Manager at Young Horses
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2011, 06:23:03 PM »

Also, seeing the creator of Fract tear up over winning an IGF award having gone back to school at 28 to learn how to make games was pretty touching. Smiley

You're one to talk, Schatz.  Smiley

(Queue

)

On a more serious note, it's these sorts of moments that act as a reminder of why we're doing what we're doing.  How difficult and yet how rewarding it is.  How it's something you generally have to be in love with in order to do.  I'm pro-blubbering, as acceptance speeches go.  I also appreciated the fellow who said "make games!"

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
PTibz
Level 0

Business Person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2011, 08:10:13 PM »

Honestly I teared up a bit too during Flanagan's acceptance speech.  Embarrassed

Octodad!
ChevyRay
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2011, 10:59:36 PM »

Well thanks, I GUESS!

(And here I thought we had something going on, I mean with the hugging and all!)

Chris, you know you so special to me. <3  Cheesy

Hey buddy get in line. I've got dibs on Christoffer, this mofo is the shit. If you wanna place bets on future IGF winners, mine's on him.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2011, 11:20:35 PM »

Wait WHAT I didn't know Christoffer made Toys

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
PlayMeTape
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2011, 02:01:30 AM »

Haha, hey Evan! Yeah that's me. Smiley
I guess I was a pretty bad at standing around at my booth.  Embarrassed

And, aaaw thanks Chevy! <3
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2011, 10:41:36 AM »

im currently on a train headed from san fran to chicago. I'm in a lounge car which has power outlets at every table and internet through my phone.

Listening to C418's minecraft alpha soundtrack, very peaceful.

It's pretty awesome. Depending on how the rest of this trip goes it might be worth having a TrainJam to the next GDC.

PTibz
Level 0

Business Person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2011, 11:58:58 AM »

TrainJam would be awesome! I'm in Chicago right now. Watch out Hedborg because some of the Octodads will be entering something into the IGF next year as well if all goes according to plan.  Gentleman

Octodad!
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2011, 12:25:15 PM »

- meeting another GDC attendee already on the flight in.
- and then being on the same flight back as Terry + Perrin + Dock.
- hanging in the lounge at indie hostel; coding, chatting, giving feedback on your games and getting feedback on mine.
- 2-player super crate box.
- long discussions about games, art, psychedelia.
- talks by brenda braithwaite, brian moriarty, will wright.
- EXPERIMENTAL GAMEPLAY
- party at derek's!
- meeting cactus.
- all you guys!
richardeflanagan
Level 0

wannabe game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2011, 12:36:14 PM »

Thanks for the kind words everyone - being at the GDC this year was quite a revelation: inspirational talks, people and ideas. And I feel like I was airpdropped into a culture I've belonged in since I was born - where have you amazing people been my whole life?

In any case, here are a handful of shots my wife and I snagged during the week (also can be found on www.FRACTgame.com)

- Richard E Flanagan  FRACT OSC  fulcrum
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2011, 12:46:09 PM »

Richard-- congrats on your well-earned IGF win, and it was cool to get to meet you. Good luck with finishing Fract Smiley

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
rv_el
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2011, 08:43:46 PM »

It was awesome meeting everybody. I met some really cool tigforums people.  This year was really cool for running into random awesome folk. Some who i've wanted to meet for a long time.

The awards ceremony was the strangest.  It blurred some lines and Meat Boy / Minecraft / Limbo made the whole thing really crazy.  I hardly played much of the other games. I cheered on RDR cause it was amazing. I guess i'm just not a fan of Mass Effect. I really should give the second one a shot though.

The IGS was quite good this year.  Not just because of what happened, but because of what didn't happen as well.  Anyways. Shatz talk was awesome.   Meat Boy was cool.  I think it set the stage for what to expect if you are like them and get an XBLA deal.  What I like is just how revealing the IGS and people in it are.  Thats the best thing. Its as transparent as it can be. I contrast that with the last and worste talk I went to which was on Heavy Rain.  It was a very superficial talk and things like "NDA" came up any time it seemed like he was about to talk about something that would mean anything.  I walked out of that.  But stuff like Rohrers f'ing game was just amazing.  Wow. I need to see that game again.   So cool. 

This is why we can't have nice things...
edmundito
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2011, 09:31:21 PM »

Hey I met a lot of you at GDC and  didn't know you frequent the TIGSource! Then again, this is my 15th post. Tongue

GDC was cool. I was mostly at the IGS and asked some simple questions (like how long did Spelunky take to make.. yeah that was me... although that was the one question I was asking this year anyway). I played the awesome Winnitron, and I'm trying to build one where I live... we got the parts! I used to go to the main conference and once I did the all access, but I've been recently just focusing on the Independent Games Summit and love it. I'll probably do it again next year if I can. I found that in the main conference there's a lot of theory, whishy washy talks, and nda-protected post mortems, which is the complete opposite in the IGS... and I love it.

I did avoid the "GDC Plague"/nerd flu that was going around, but my friends where I was staying at did not and so on thursday night I had to leave their apartment I became a transient hopping from room to room... It kind of sucked, but I made my way through!
Kali
Level 0

ADVENTURE YEAH!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2011, 07:29:57 AM »

Ugh, GDC plague is kicking my ass this year. =\
zovirl
Level 1

Mark Ivey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2011, 08:26:40 AM »

This was my first GDC and I didn't quite know what to expect. It was a lot of fun. The Tuesday night meeting at the library was great. Seeing the games other people were working on was good inspiration (thanks for organizing, cellulose).

The IGF & winnitron booths on the expo floor were great too. They were some of the busiest booths on the floor (maybe because they had awesome games instead of boring tech demos???)

Alaskan Runway, a side-scrolling flight sim I'm working on.
Forest, a walking meditation game. (behind the scenes)
www.zovirl.com
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2011, 10:57:55 AM »

Zovirl! It was good meeting you, I was the guy next to you at Andy Schatz's talk.

At the request of one of my iDevGames buddies, I wrote this post summarizing my GDC experience: http://www.idevgames.com/articles/gdc2011_alex_diener_report

bigGIANTcircles
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2011, 11:42:30 AM »

Hi guys, I met a ton of people who visit here at GDC and all were awesome so here I am.  Smiley

GDC rocked, looking forward to meeting more of you in the future!

slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2011, 11:48:35 AM »

Heh. I don't think anybody could forget the beard Alex. It's sort of your iconic thing.

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2011, 12:56:49 PM »

Heh. I don't think anybody could forget the beard Alex. It's sort of your iconic thing.

I dunno, the beard density at the conference was pretty high... Someone actually came up to me to take a photo because he mistook me for someone he knew until he read my badge. Apparently I have an identical twin somewhere.

slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2011, 06:06:20 PM »

I dunno, the beard density at the conference was pretty high... Someone actually came up to me to take a photo because he mistook me for someone he knew until he read my badge. Apparently I have an identical twin somewhere.

I suppose that was doubly true around the indie hangouts. Long hair and/or beards were in pretty common. I felt right at home. Awww

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic