Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:33:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRogueline
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Rogueline  (Read 35715 times)
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 06:57:01 PM »

Very cool. Sign me up as an Android tester as well, if you're still thinking about that.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 01:49:35 PM »

Hey Guys. Updating the HUD and Engine.

so players have Health, Magic Points, and Attack Power. Down below you can see the Heal Spell which costs 2 MP, and the Inventory. I also tried using the white outline to emphasis that you are currently in the middle room. Also that Satyr is confused at the moment.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 03:47:07 PM »

It look sexy Kiss

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 03:54:24 PM »

Keepin' it simple  Wink

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 01:27:58 PM »

Looks cool, I like the graphics.  So I take it the flash mock-up no longer represents what this will be like?  Shame, it was kind of fun - it would be nice to see a combination of that playstyle but with a little more depth to it.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 02:16:57 PM »

I agree it was fun, but it didn't really make much sense and a lot of the RPG stuff felt Shoe horned in. I will definetly be going back to it after this though. I have all the files backed up and saved. it will probably be made into something similar to what I have now but with some extra mechanics. I always liked the name "Never Not Running".

Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 02:39:55 PM »

Looking better every time I see it!
wedieyounge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 02:44:06 PM »

AWESOME game. Don't let it die, for God sake.

¬ wedge
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 04:16:01 PM »

Thanks guys.

Update: Right now I have a very small level thats basically 3 rooms in a row. you have a player that's animated and 3 possible bad guys to fight. There are normal hits, misses, and crits. I have also added items that increase your health, magic, and attack power. the next step will be to add 1 enemy per level and a boss. then I can try it out and start adding extra stuff.

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 07:20:01 PM »

Looking hella sexy. Sign me up, I have an Droid phone :D

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 08:25:15 PM »

well since everyone has been so gosh darned nice about this.

http://megaswf.com/serve/1052266

this is an early flash build. there's no spells or anything and no bosses, its basically a simple combat engine with some instant items. what do you think?

Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2011, 11:45:10 AM »

I can never seem to find any potions. How common are they?
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »

its actually a 1 in 5 chance. I think I definitely will have to change that. I am still testing all of this though. I spent most of the day with a tabletop full of dice running a paper prototype and cross out ideas and switching numbers. I will probably be getting rid of the Attack potions and replacing them with something more controlled. on one run i got 3 attack potions in a row and then just steamrolled everyone.

I am thinking perhaps gear, but since everyone will wield different stuff I was thinking about just doing some type of mcguffin. basically a character will have some open slots to hold these mcguffins. all of which give different boosts.

the mcguffins will all work differently. some will give you a poison effect when you strike guys, some will give you +2 to your base attack, while others might give you +3 to attack but -2 to your health. this means I can make a lot of them and then as you adventure you can build your guy as you see fit. it also gives a chance to have choices that don't have a clear answer. obviously +2 attack is better then +1, but whats better +1 Attack and causing confusion or +3 health. I was also thinking of having some as consumables perhaps an item gives you +1 attack, but you can use to get +3 on your next attack.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »

Well Big Update.

Enemies now drop tokens. theses tokens can be placed in the grey spaces above to alter player stats. right now our play has +health, +attack, and a potion to use later. I also have a full length level with the above boss. if any wants to try a build send me a PM and I will send you over a copy. be forewarned its VERY hard at the moment. I am really looking for player feedback

I was originally going to have Status Effects like poison, confuse, and sleep. the main problem I found is that battles tend to go very quickly. By the time you poison an Enemy he is already dead. so this cuts out a big idea I had to add more variety to combat. anybody got any different ideas?

Ohs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 12:40:22 PM »

The mood in this little game is already awesome, the graphics are cute and also working nicely, as in, creating moody atmosphere and still being readable.

Great work so far, on some campaigns(?) movement could be up-down instead of left and right, would bring some nice variation. The background could go darker as you descent into Hell or something like that.

There's my 2cm, hope you continue working on this.  Smiley
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 12:46:43 PM »

More "choices" you could make to somehow affect your win/loss would be nice. It always sucks to feel like the difference between winning or losing boils down to one or two dice coming up wrong.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2011, 07:31:54 AM »

Ohs: thanks I really tried to put my best foot forward on the art, glad you like it. I am pretty happy with the animations on the boss monster above.

I originally tried a layers thing more in line with Roguelikes. where you went deeper and deeper into a dungeon, but it only read if the "mini map" was also oriented vertically, and that ate up to much screen space.

Kikura: yes I agree, I have tried giving the player more options to liven up battle. The Upgrade slots add a lot and I often find myself taking +1 attack and then regretting it when I come up against other foes and more health would have worked better. I think once I add Spells that will really help. I have also been toying with the idea of adding pets/sidekicks/minions. right now an attack has a 1 in 6 chance of being a miss, and a 1 in 6 chance of being a Crit. enemies are 1 in 6 for miss 1 in 12 for crit. Do you think it would be good for combat to be able to effect these numbers? perhaps lower your miss chance?

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2011, 07:39:29 AM »

Alright guys, looking for some feedback. I have added Items into the game now and this is about the length the adventure will be. so what do you think.

Give it a try!!

Chris Pavia
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2011, 09:36:41 AM »

It's hard to give good feedback about the gameplay without the magic system in place. Since you are playing as a cleric, I'm assuming magic is his bread-and-butter, so he feels pretty hobbled without it.

As it is right now, how far you can progress seems completely dependent on the type and frequency of items that drop.

I feel that slimes should be one hit kills, even for a priest. fighting 2 slimes at the same time can take away most of your life, or kill you outright if you miss a couple times, which isn't something you want in the first couple screens of the game.

The art is awesome though! The items mentioned above are all fixable of course, and I'm eager to see what kind of strategy the magic system adds to the game.
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2011, 10:31:13 AM »

Personally, I'd say the miss/crit numbers should be set as stats. That is, some characters are more likely to miss or crit that others, and maybe some upgrades to adjust it (enemy miss+1, enemy crit-1, own crit+1, that sort of thing). You could also make "sacrificial" upgrades, like one that gives you more attack power and crits at the cost of accuracy, or the like.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic