Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:29:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCardGrid: Original Digital TCG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: CardGrid: Original Digital TCG  (Read 1154 times)
CardGrid
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« on: March 08, 2011, 11:41:02 AM »

Hi, I've been designing a trading card game for about three years, and sometime last year decided that it would be impossible to make it play well without a specialized calculator. (And who wants to lug one of those around just to play a card game? Not enough people.) Thus, I decided to turn it digital. At the beginning, I had absolutely no programming skills, and still have no art skills, so it went nowhere fast. I had no idea what I wanted the interface to look like (and as far as the finished product goes, I still don't) and I have no art. But now I've got a friend working on the art, and a different game (still unreleased due to lack of features) under my belt. So, this time around I'm making progress.

And I have this:

Not much, sure. But it's something. (The image is scaled down by 50%, if you didn't notice.) I'm working hard on the server backend (or, rather, on the network libraries to try to make it work), and I'm working on the card and deck creation programs. (Then, and only then, should I be trying to make the program attached to that image work.)

I'll probably need direct help to make CardGrid a completed project, but I'm not asking for it yet. Let me get some things working first.

Anyway:

-- Premise --
This TCG is inspired not by the card game classics, but rather on video games, specifically Eastern-style RPGs. This requires a greater complexity than a TCG player is used to, but it's worth it for the greater need for strategy, both in deckbuilding and in-game. Yes, there are aspects of other TCGs, but none of the current majors (AFAIK) beyond the core aspects that all card games MUST have, as integral parts of the format.
CardGrid is basically turn-based arena-style combat between two parties. Instead of having the player take turns commanding all of their characters at once, the characters are the ones taking turns.

-- Story --
The multiverse origins of CardGrid are yet to be determined. However, there is the beginnings of a story called Nexus that will be used for the initial sets of CardGrid.
Basically, a land called the Domain is under attack from outworld forces; the two sides cannot make physical contact except through the outworlders' weapon: CardGrid. The crown prince of the Domain sneaks into the enemy camp and finds the tool that they use to initiate CardGrid combat. Nexus' story will take the prince beyond his home, into the CardGrid Nexus, through which he will find allies to defeat their mutual invaders.

-- Platform --
The initial test versions will be natively for Windows, with compatibility for any OS that Mono can be properly compiled on.
The "complete" game (or as complete as ongoing TCGs get) will be web-based, using Silverlight. (Again, POSIX compatibility is possible thanks to Mono, this time through the Moonlight plugin.) And yes, even though the game will be free-to-play, I am still looking to make a profit. No point getting a dedicated server if I don't plan to at least recoup my costs.

-- Development Tools --
Programming Tools: Visual Studio 2010, using the C# programming language.
Libraries: None for now, though I am using a C# implementation of the Mersenne Twister for deck shuffling.
Art: Umm... yeah. I got a friend... and yada yada yada... basically I got nothin'.
Music: Same as art, but I don't even have a friend for that.

-- Help Currently Requested --
Just a link to a good Silverlight-compatible network library would be nice. Sockets look like they'll work, but I have no idea what to do with them. WCF requires X.509 Certificates that I can't yet afford (and shouldn't be trying to get yet anyway), and Lidgren may need specific porting for Silverlight that I don't quite have the skills to do. (Then again, it could be as simple as dropping all the .cs files into a new Silverlight Library project.) I'm not sure what else there is.

-- Homepage --
Right now, the homepage is the CardGrid development blog on Wordpress.

-- Comments Requested --
Anything but flames. Hype, non-insulting criticism, even help that I haven't asked for is desired. Most importantly once I get something functional, I need the word spread around. After all, I have no fanbase, no draw beyond the game itself, and no reason why people should listen to me. (Except... "Because I have a voice!" Off-topic: I need to watch that movie.) Also, if you have any questions about the inspirations this game has, go ahead and ask. I'll answer any legitimate question that won't get me sued.

Right... this post has gone too long already. If you're still reading, thanks. I'll try to update whenever I can.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic