Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:06:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDetective Grimoire - Adventure Game
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Detective Grimoire - Adventure Game  (Read 18542 times)
SFBTom
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »

Oh wow, no posts since October? Definitely my bad, I think I forgot I had this DevLog here!

SO! The game is VERY nearly done at this point. It's taken a lot longer than we thought, but it was worth the extra time we put in. Here's what's been going on!

Voices Complete!
We cast the final character's voice actor, a very talented chap by the name of Michael Patterson. All of the VAs have recorded all their lines, save a few extras we might need to add now and then. They've all done an amazing job!

Cutscenes!
Adam, the artist/animator of our team, decided that the game should have a bunch of fully animated cutscenes, some short, some long. Cue me trying to find the best balance of size and performance for fullscreen video. Most of the cutscenes are finished, and you can see some of the results below. First is a gif for easy sharing/difficult stealing, so ignore artefacts and off colours.

Animated Environments!

While there's always been some movement on most screens, we decided that we'd like to really bring the swamp alive, with some animated areas! Almost all the areas now feature a lot more animation than before, and we're really happy with the result! Here's a short gif (that loops badly)

A Release Date!

Sort of. We're hoping to be able to launch this August, all things permitting. It's been a long project, and it's been hard, financially and otherwise, but probably the most fun I've had working on a game.

MegaLeon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 08:10:43 AM »

Oh my, this looks amazing. I wish you the best of luck!

*blog - *tweet - *leon
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 10:54:51 AM »

I just can't believe the beauty this game emanates.  By far one of the prettiest indie titles I've seen.  Definitely keeping an eye on this.  Fully animated cut-scenes?  You guys are crazy!

poe
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2012, 11:00:12 AM »

Looks interesting Shocked reminds me a lot of the Penny Arcade games.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2012, 01:19:40 PM »

It's looking quite gorgeous! Smiley

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2012, 01:52:02 PM »

I remember this. Smiley Glad to see you're pulling it through to completion.

Looks super slick.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 07:02:32 PM »

Oh, good! I'm glad to see this coming out. Grin

(Apropos of nothing: I like that Detective Grimoire looks concerned in every single screenshot.)

SFBTom
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2012, 05:42:05 AM »

Oh my, this looks amazing. I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks!

I just can't believe the beauty this game emanates.  By far one of the prettiest indie titles I've seen.  Definitely keeping an eye on this.  Fully animated cut-scenes?  You guys are crazy!

Yeah, its pretty crazy, but worth the extra effort I think. And thanks, Adam has really upped his art game, even over the course of the project!

Looks interesting Shocked reminds me a lot of the Penny Arcade games.

Hah, I know Adam reads PA a lot, not sure if he's played the games though...

It's looking quite gorgeous! Smiley

Thank you!

I remember this. Smiley Glad to see you're pulling it through to completion.

Looks super slick.

I wish I'd kept this devlog up better, it would have been nice to have a proper account of the whole process. Thanks though!

Oh, good! I'm glad to see this coming out. Grin

(Apropos of nothing: I like that Detective Grimoire looks concerned in every single screenshot.)

Haha, I think that's the look we're going for, concerned bemusement with the whole thing!

DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2012, 02:25:22 PM »

So the first time I skimmed through this thread I was really impressed with the art.  So yesterday I was reading in more detail the progress and I have to say I'm equally impressed with the tool-side of things as well  Great tools always makes me all giddy inside.  Fetching awesome stuff.

SFBTom
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2012, 01:38:33 AM »

A few exciting updates!

We have a new trailer! The old trailer was nice, but it missed out a lot of the feel of the game, and some big gameplay elements. Adam, Catherine and I sat down and spent a whole afternoon scripting this one. We also learned video editing all over again, which was fun! Turns out Flash is reeeeally bad at exporting video...

The reason I'm not linking directly to that though is that it features in the video for our Kickstarter! We've been working on this full time, but we're running pretty low on funds. So we're going the Kickstarter-as-preorder route. Also, the voice actors have been paid precisely $0 as of right now. The idea has always been to send a percentage of sales their way - they make the characters so much more real after all. This way though, we can give them an up-front bonus for their amazing work!

Feedback, and maybe even the odd pledge, would be much appreciated!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sfbgames/detective-grimoire-mystery-adventure-game-for-ios

SFBTom
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2012, 09:34:49 AM »

Yay, we're adding PC/Mac support! Probably! We've added it as a (pretty short) stretch goal to the Kickstarter. I'm talking to Adobe about Linux support too, they dropped AIR on Linux as of 2.6 and the game is 3.3, but I know the guys at Amanita did it with Machinarium, so there must be a good way... Link in my previous post!

SFBTom
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2012, 05:45:35 PM »

Flash demo version now playable, yay!

BattleBeard
Level 6

please touch me

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2012, 05:57:01 PM »

I love the beginning's looping background and it's .jpg artifacts. There's a white line where it loops too.

Great game though
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2012, 06:18:36 PM »

Kiss

Heeeeey. Great demo! The puzzles are good so far, the art's lovely, the voice acting's great in and of itself. Organising thoughts is a neat puzzle system, too.

Certainly pre-ordering.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 06:26:07 PM by Gainsworthy » Logged
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2012, 02:15:24 AM »

very nice demo, great art and audio - just found a small bug with the gate door chain - sometimes the chain end part (the part you grab and move) jumps through the maze wall collision if you drag it quickly.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic