Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 05:22:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingEngine (a platformer)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Engine (a platformer)  (Read 3251 times)
Event Cascade
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2008, 02:32:38 PM »

Engine is a partially procedurally generated platformer. It's your standard jump and shoot game, except there are lots of playable sprites and the levels cycle through a few random patterns.

It could definitely stand on its own as a game right now, with few real bugs, a bunch of varied levels, and even an "ending". The ending, however, isn't very rewarding and the difficulty is somewhat imbalanced.

Also, you might end up having to beat levels all over again because your saves probably won't carry over if I make an expanded version. (When the new version comes out I'll provide a replacement save with the toughest levels already beaten, but it's not the same, is it?)

If any of this bothers you, don't download this game. Wait until I clean it up a little. I'd still like some feedback before I keep going from anyone who's willing to take a look.

I put together a content management system yesterday almost entirely for this game, so I'm forcing you to look at it if you want more information.

More Information
Download
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 09:37:21 PM »

I like the 3D stuff here. What did you make it with?

Event Cascade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 09:53:08 PM »

I just used WinAPI and OpenGL.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 04:03:54 AM »

I got random mysterious slowdown several times, but I'm willing to blame my computer, it's usually the one at fault. That flying cross thing is hard to master Shocked

other than that, nice work! It's got a good look to it Smiley My only problem is the slight nagging feeling that I always notice when a 'pixeled'-looking sprite is zoomed in/out slightly on the screen. For example, on the level select screen, look at the static on the levels which are still locked. The "pixels" aren't all the same size. that sort of thing gets to me :D but it's hardly an issue, really. Tongue

olücæbelel
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 05:52:34 AM »

I have to say I absolutely love this.  It reminds me of Cactus' Psychosomnium (if that's the right name) but with better puzzles, and less story.  I'll be dipping into this again for sure!  Would be nice if the first time you hover over the white bat the game tells you to press the shift key, as I had to quit and read the readme, haha.

All in all, great work man and I love your 3D tiles. Smiley

Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 09:38:13 AM »

The different sprites thing is really cool.

There's no chance this procedurally generated game was made this month, is there? Cos if so...  Grin

Event Cascade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 03:33:41 PM »

I got random mysterious slowdown several times, but I'm willing to blame my computer, it's usually the one at fault. That flying cross thing is hard to master Shocked

other than that, nice work! It's got a good look to it Smiley My only problem is the slight nagging feeling that I always notice when a 'pixeled'-looking sprite is zoomed in/out slightly on the screen. For example, on the level select screen, look at the static on the levels which are still locked. The "pixels" aren't all the same size. that sort of thing gets to me :D but it's hardly an issue, really. Tongue

The mysterious slowdown could very well be my fault, as this is my first time writing synchronization code and I had very little idea what I was doing. It doesn't happen to me, though, so I can't debug it. If you have any more info, I could try to find the root of the problem.

The flying cross (or simply 'X') is supposed to be difficult to use, my original plan was to have it be a common enemy that always dive-bombs you and frusterates you. It was supposed to be a big suprise later on when it turned out to be playable.

This is one example of my original level designs being replaced with quick and dirty proxies later on, as I didn't make a clear outline to work from and many of my ideas were cut so I could keep going. The game is now just a collection of random levels. This bothers me to the point that I consider giving up on this from time to time.

The pixel problem isn't going away anytime soon. The world is partially 3D, the game window is resizeable, and the style is nicely consistant. There would be no good way to stop the artifacting at this point without making several major changes to the entire game. I have a problem with it too, honestly.

I have to say I absolutely love this.  It reminds me of Cactus' Psychosomnium (if that's the right name) but with better puzzles, and less story.  I'll be dipping into this again for sure!  Would be nice if the first time you hover over the white bat the game tells you to press the shift key, as I had to quit and read the readme, haha.

All in all, great work man and I love your 3D tiles. Smiley

I didn't really have Psychosomnium in mind when I made this game, and originally, sprites were selected at the start of each level. Preventing which ones could enter and which ones couldn't would have been a pain, though, and ultimately I liked the idea of puzzles like in the X Factory where you quickly swap between sprites.

The readme is rather necessary, as some of the parts of the game just don't make sense without it. You have to know when not to jump on the Bomberchute, when the game saves, one important fact about the X, et cetera. Being a fully windowed game, I can't see why you had to quit, either.

I made the game engine rather strangely and it would actually be a lot of work to put text in there at this point. I could just draw a shift sprite and throw it in there, but that would just delay the inevitable readme reading due to some of the game's eccentricities anyway.

I seem to be getting a lot of comments about the 3D tiles. Honestly, I didn't expect people to take so well to the giant, blocky look. It certainly didn't take a lot of work to draw tops and bottoms on things.

The different sprites thing is really cool.

There's no chance this procedurally generated game was made this month, is there? Cos if so...  Grin

I'm not sure when exactly I started this game, but I have backups dating back to December.

I'd like to make a final note: anyone who wants a look behind the scenes of this game can copy the "levels" directory somewhere and check out the "edit" directory. I made my own level editor for this game. In the "data" directory there are a bunch of easily readable .txt files that are loaded into the game every time it starts. The vast majority of game information is stored in these places, and the game can be changed quite a lot without editing the source by anyone who cares to try.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 03:35:29 PM by Event Cascade » Logged
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 04:53:40 PM »

Fair enough with backups, but if the main work was done this month.. Compo!

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 12:12:03 AM »

Could the random slow down being the second(yellow?) slime mold being moving slowly on the ground? Level2! Enjoying it  Cool

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
medieval
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 02:24:36 AM »

Fair enough with backups, but if the main work was done this month.. Compo!
Just let him enter, nobody gives a shit if it's dated 6 months back... Right?
Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 11:01:29 AM »

I enter a happy mood every time a game is less than 20 MB's to download. Smiley

Also, it's nice that your game starts in windowed mode.

At first it seemed strange that the screen couldn't scroll backwards, then I realized it's a puzzle thing; that I need to plan how the sprites shall be used before leaving them behind. As a challenge, that seems like a good idea!

By the way, I managed to lure an enemy into the end portal instead of avoiding it, fun feature I must say.

For a platformer, I thought the sprite's movement was to slow, personally. The puzzles make up for that, but I think even the slower sprites could benefit from some faster movement and action. It feels a bit unfair that much of the difficulty is because the sprites are slow, so avoiding enemies is sometimes impossible.

I realized some of the levels seem to be generated with new tiles every time, that's some cool technology!

I seem to be getting a lot of comments about the 3D tiles. Honestly, I didn't expect people to take so well to the giant, blocky look.
The nice tiles were the reason I wanted to play this game, actually!

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 06:36:50 AM »

Did you ever play the Amiga version of Prince of Persia?  The walls really remind me of it...

Have you done any more to it, or is it done now?

Event Cascade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 11:35:38 PM »

I originally intended to add more, but I lost interest rather quickly when I realized how disjointed the levels were. I had also already made the last levels so difficult no one could beat them, so it wasn't as if there were new, harder challenges to create.

On the subject of Prince of Persia, I've actually never played it. The excessive difficulty was inspired by Contra.
Alquesm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 03:06:37 AM »

Did you ever play the Amiga version of Prince of Persia?  The walls really remind me of it...

I think you're image link is broken, or the host doesn't allow deep linking. All I see is an add for MobyGames, and no Prince of Persia image. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic