Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:11:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpunk and Moxie
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Spunk and Moxie  (Read 38310 times)
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« on: March 11, 2011, 11:24:30 PM »

>>>>>NEW! RELEASE PREVIEW TRAILER!<<<<<

Screenshots: (scaled down, click for full resolution)

History:

Spunk and Moxie is a game I started working on in March 2011, following the release of The Indie Game Legend. Spunk and Moxie was first conceived in 2009 as a mini-game to be featured in Solipsius, a project that is currently on hold. The original mini-game was a platformer called SpeedDisk and featured the mechanic of a disc in perpetual forward motion with the only input being jump. In 2010, this mini-game was adapted into a Flash/Flixel demo by Luke Arntson (chthulhu32) and became known as SPUCK (Speed Puck). We submitted the demo to Kokoromi's Gamma IV competition and failed, Luke lost interest in the project and I felt devastated that yet another one of my projects was dropped. Fortunately, my roommate Carter Randolph picked up the project while learning XNA. We formed our studio Chocolate Homunculus and were both on our way to making our very first mobile game.

Having met the talented artist Dan Fessler at TIGJam 2010, we became fast friends and discussed the possibilities of working together. I was interested in seeing what he could do with the game's aesthetic, which was rather simple at the time, and Dan was interested in taking a stab at this project. Initially I wasn't expecting the art to be much more than just a more polished version of what was already there, but our approach to development had suddenly taken a more market-considerate stance after teaming up with Dan and his partner Nicolas Coderre, who would be handling the iOS port of our game and much of the business side of things. Before I knew it, we were signing contracts with each other.

Dan and Nic, collectively known as Tilt Studios, insisted that to appeal to a broad audience our game had to have more personality. Therefore, the player character being a disc had to go. We really weren't sure on what direction to take things and we originally tried for a steampunk aesthetic, with the player character being a tiny man riding in a disc, but this didn't seem to translate too well at the resolution we were using. Eventually, I decided that the player character should instead become a lovable pile of goo named Spunk. Though I mischievously snickered at the controversy this might stir up, I realized it might not be the best idea, so I polled the TIGSource community. It was there that Alec S. (Stamos) gave me the idea to introduce a second character and call the game Spunk and Moxie. It was settled.

Today, I am happy to announce that our game has been in development for over a year 20 months and it is very close to being released. Our current projected release date is set for August 2012 November/December. This game will be released on Windows Phone and iOS and features:

- Two playable characters, with more hidden ones to unlock
- Unique, one-button platforming through 30 different levels
- Three modes of difficulty to appeal to both casual and hardcore players alike
- Three world themes, including a Warehouse, Factory, and Laboratory
- Collect crystals to buy power-ups that grant new abilities like flying and air-dashing
- Search for hidden keys to unlock secret content in each level
- Compete with other players around the world for the top scores and best times
- Race against top players' ghosts
- More features introduced with updated content!

Spunk and Moxie - Coming Soon to a Mobile Device Near You!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 05:30:36 PM by phubans » Logged

BoxedLunch
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 11:27:19 PM »

windows phone you say?
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 11:47:28 PM »

Yes... How's the market?

tergem
Level 1

It's a pony!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 06:09:24 AM »

Not very good.

You can find similar stories throughout the net.

Games made so far (completed):Spike teh dodge, Unnamed puzzle game, Galaga clone, Generic Top-Down Shooter, overly simplistic business simulator In dev: Platformer!
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 09:34:39 AM »

Unfortunately the above is true. But in other news I'm excited that your working on this again!
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 06:31:36 PM »

Original post updated. Also, the game is being ported and published on iPhone now with art by Dan Fessler.

hryx
Level 0

bleached fife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 07:17:59 PM »

Backronyms ahoy!

This shit is gonna be the shit
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 09:07:18 PM »

So it's been a little over a year since we've last updated this thread.  A lot of you know what we've been up to, but I figure I may as well post some screenshots for ya.

After going through a few working titles and figuring out the theme of our game, we've decided on Spunk and Moxie.  It's taken a whole lot longer than what we originally intended - partly due to having a day job, and partly due to us really wanting to make this as polished and high-quality as we can.

It's been an adventure for sure.  Paul truly has done something special with the design of this game and I'm glad to be a part of it.  We're on the finishing stretch now.  Finishing theme 3 and getting ready for launch on Windows Phone and iOS by the end of next month or perhaps mid August.

Screenshots: (scaled down, click for full resolution)

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:53:29 PM by DanFessler » Logged

DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 12:26:25 PM »

also, in case you guys missed it, here was our IGF submission video (now quite outdated)

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:26:45 PM by DanFessler » Logged

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 01:26:25 PM »

Whoops, I forgot about this thread Facepalm Thanks for the update, Dan.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 02:03:14 PM »

Oh, hey, a DevLog.   Beer!

Good luck, guys.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »

Updated the original post and was sure to give you credit for the title, Alec Grin

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 03:02:56 PM »

Awesome!   Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin  Also glad to see that the game has come along so much, and the release date isn't that far off.  Looking forward to playing.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 07:01:26 PM »

looking forward to it. is it still on target for an august release?

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 07:06:50 PM »

Yessir!

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 05:46:24 AM »

Spunk? SPUNK?! SPUNK?Huh?
HM... I kinda wish it is renamed. Spunk is weird... Why not Sponk?
Spunk reminds me of Sigvatr__

OMFG...

Looks good, though.

Yeah.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 08:53:46 AM »

This is looking nice guys, like the name and video.

Just wondering what the differences are between the video for the IGF and the current build?

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 10:12:36 AM »

I can feel the love you guys have poured into this game <3

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 10:21:59 AM »

Great logo!

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 03:34:25 PM »

This is looking nice guys, like the name and video.

Just wondering what the differences are between the video for the IGF and the current build?

Mostly a ton of polish fixes both in the graphics and the gameplay. I think the most noticeable one you could see is that levels now use lightmaps to give them a little more volume and depth with shading (compare the recent screenshots to the video, which looks pretty flat by comparison).

There are also three themes, and the video only shows one (the Warehouse).

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic