Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:18:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsTIG wiki
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: TIG wiki  (Read 13596 times)
Nix
« on: March 12, 2011, 02:26:30 PM »

I was rather bummed to find out that the old tig wiki was abandoned (with good reason of course) well before I joined the community. I've been talking to a few people in IRC about reviving the wiki on a private web host. The old wiki is a bit screwed up because of the way Wikia does things (the dump can't just be imported to a new media wiki installation), so there's a fair amount of work to be done copying at least some of the more lengthy pages over from the old wiki to the new one.

If anyone is interested in helping with this initial setup process and/or being an editor after it's ready for the public, please send me a PM or reply to this thread. We'll also need a graphical artist or two who can put together a logo (I made one, but I basically copied the indie brawl logo and it doesn't look that great) and some icons, and maybe a few other things like the headers for more important pages. I have the wiki up on the web privately while we're getting things set up, so I'll send you the appropriate info after you let me know that you want to help out.

Edit: It would be great if some of the people who were really involved with the original wiki could get on board. Something like this shouldn't die!
BoxedLunch
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 05:47:36 PM »

sounds great, i always wondered what had happened to the old one in terms of active editing.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 09:22:44 PM »

I should be able to help the setup of the wiki.
bengrue
Level 0

I code. A lot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 02:18:51 AM »

what was the good reason?

Current Project: Sully: A Very Serious RPG

Executive Producer of Dungeons of Dredmor

@bengrue on the twitternets
increpare
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 02:26:20 AM »

full of ads.

Paul was trying to set up a wiki on his own server, IIRC, but last time I spoke to him of it was still trying to install all the requisite plugins to match wikia's feature-set.

Tig wiki was a pretty cool resource...
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 03:22:48 AM »

Also the fact that the mandatory universal template across all wikias borked much of the navigation of the site.

Also, I'm on board

BoxedLunch
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 10:16:41 AM »

full of ads.
*puts cursor over word*
*ad pops up blocking everything*
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 10:43:38 AM »

I'm in.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
ortoslon
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 10:51:17 AM »

i wrote several infobox and page templates for tigwiki before i got bored with it. now i don't care about it except as a platform for promotion of my playthrough videos
bengrue
Level 0

I code. A lot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 12:57:18 PM »

Who's driving this project?  There may be an easy way to do this without running a custom server/instance anywhere.  I'm at SXSW running an event with Progrium and could discuss it with him...

Current Project: Sully: A Very Serious RPG

Executive Producer of Dungeons of Dredmor

@bengrue on the twitternets
Nix
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 02:18:26 PM »

Who's driving this project?  There may be an easy way to do this without running a custom server/instance anywhere.  I'm at SXSW running an event with Progrium and could discuss it with him...

Me. I've already got a MediaWiki installation up and running, and most of the important bits have been copied in bulk over from the old one. The big job right now is cleaning up the missing images and leftover griefer stuff (mostly about lesbians), and with more than a few hundred pages to repair, we can use a lot of help. What exactly were you thinking though?
Nix
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 07:56:46 PM »

Does anyone want to make an indie game collage for a header on the front page?
Hach-Que
Level 1

a radical dame who likes to make games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 01:24:24 AM »

If you need hosting, just ask.  I've got 200GB of bandwidth to spare  Beer!

Nix
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 03:34:31 PM »

If you need hosting, just ask.  I've got 200GB of bandwidth to spare  Beer!

Thanks! I'm using NearlyFreeSpeech for now and I'm happy using them, but if traffic picks up to the point where I'm spending a lot or Nearly Free Speech can't handle the load (which probably won't happen), I may take you up on your offer  Smiley.

Anyway, trying to keep it private and setting things up that way isn't proving particularly successful, so I'll just open it up to anyone who wants to contribute. Here's the link for now:

http://tigwiki.nfshost.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I will definitely be grabbing a domain name at some point in the future, so please don't nag me about having it on a sub-domain right now. (Should I do .com or .org?)

There's an editing guide linked in the sidebar, though there's not much there. The big thing right now is filling in all the red links on the front page and working through the "wanted pages" list. Feel free to add stuff to it if you want (but please don't remove anything).

This is me officially giving the green-light to anyone and everyone to contribute to the wiki as you see fit.

Please don't troll, of course, including snide lesbian comments. This isn't Wikipedia, so I'm not a stickler for formality, but please try not to say things like "he is the best developer ever" or things like that. Keep it serious and helpful and at least semi-objective.

You can also help clean up the residue from the bulk import of the dump from the old wiki by repairing broken infoboxes and things like that in the developer and game pages.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 04:21:28 PM »

Sweet, I had been wondering when somebody would start this up again. I loved the old TIG wiki.
I'll try to contribute to this now and then when I get time.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 04:37:52 AM »

That wiki is woefully out of date... It doesn't even list half of my more recent achievements. In fact, it does list any of them!

And the games it has for me are all defunct... The only ones that could be considered release are Madhouse and TIGL, which doesn't even have a wiki page!

Nix
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 10:12:30 AM »

The best way to start fixing a lot of the problems with things being out-of-date and lacking in information is for developers to tidy of up their own developer pages and add information to their game pages. If you want a good developer page and you aren't Derek Yu or Edmund McMillen, do it yourself.
Nix
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 03:54:50 PM »

mmmmmm, faaavicon....
Nix
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 04:46:57 PM »

I got a domain name set up. Now everything is proper: http://www.tigwiki.com
rococo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 05:09:31 PM »

Oh man, I used to contribute to the that wiki all the time when it was up. Although I usually just added pictures.
Can't wait for this one to get started!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic