Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:42:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsTIG wiki
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: TIG wiki  (Read 13580 times)
Theophilus
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 07:17:40 PM »

I think I'll make my own developer page.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 02:38:33 AM »

fantastic work nix!  Gentleman

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 08:25:58 AM »

The best way to start fixing a lot of the problems with things being out-of-date and lacking in information is for developers to tidy of up their own developer pages and add information to their game pages. If you want a good developer page and you aren't Derek Yu or Edmund McMillen, do it yourself.

With the old wiki, and granted I may have interpreted it completely wrong at the time, but I remember it being frowned upon for developers to create their own page because they wanted to keep the site free of self promotion (probably mostly for spammers and the like).

But if you're ok with it, then great!

Anyway glad to see you have resuscitated the project, I think having the wiki is a great resource.

BoxedLunch
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 10:30:37 AM »

made my own page. Tongue
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 12:52:02 PM »

a short wishlist:

(all functionalities in the old version)
- flash image importer (so you don't have to manually look up which file you want, or upload it yourself before being able to embed it)
- auto-fill category adding
- redirects from the old wiki (though I guess this isnt a high priority and could be done manually pretty easily)
- flash video importer (I know that <youtube>kjadw9wh</youtube> does import a youtube video, but without being able to set size or alignment, and vimeo and other video service embeds still seem to be missing)

There were some pages you didn't import, it seems, like http://tig.wikia.com/wiki/Events, so I would like to know which you did and didn't import. And why not simply all of them.

Nix
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 12:54:21 PM »

If you have blogs or websites and wouldn't mind helping out, it would be really great if you could put a link or maybe put in a little post about the wiki to help get it on the front page (and eventually in front of the dead wikia one). I'm trying to get Google to consider http://www.tigwiki.com (rather than http://tigwiki.com) the main url, so if you do something, it would be a bigger help if you included the "www". Thanks!
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 12:56:41 PM »

The best way to start fixing a lot of the problems with things being out-of-date and lacking in information is for developers to tidy of up their own developer pages and add information to their game pages. If you want a good developer page and you aren't Derek Yu or Edmund McMillen, do it yourself.

With the old wiki, and granted I may have interpreted it completely wrong at the time, but I remember it being frowned upon for developers to create their own page because they wanted to keep the site free of self promotion (probably mostly for spammers and the like).

That was indeed the case, and I'm not sure how I feel about it now. I would like this to be a project everyone can contribute to, and not just use for self-promotion.

I do want to point out that I like the direction this version of the wiki is going, straight away putting an emphasis on helping people make games, tips, tricks, resources and the like, and would love to see this project develop along those lines.
 Beer!

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 01:06:29 PM »

yes. we need to immediately bring back the manual of style and make a big notice about not going all GreenGuy on the wiki, ie. dumping tons of pointless minutiae and self-aggrandizement. The wiki is open and people should be able to make pages for themselves if needs be, but they should be simple and for archival purposes only.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 01:50:26 PM »

These are not top-priority, but a wishlist item for later :

http://gpwiki.org/index.php/How_do_I_get_Started a crumb trail like the one on top of the page here
"introduction: Main Page >> What is game programming? | How do I get started? | FAQ for new game programmers "

Only administrators will get this, but
If you "move" an article (meaning renaming it), the old wiki had a box you could tick that made the old name of the article a redirect to the new one. Would be nice to have again.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 02:07:27 PM by Esquar » Logged

Nix
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 02:28:58 PM »

I just installed the widgets extension, which means that everything on this website can now potentially be used. I have the Vimeo and YouTube widgets installed right now, which offer much more flexibility than the <youtube></youtube> tag that was previously available.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 03:57:31 PM »

Added on a list of music tools. Still working on it.
http://www.tigwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Audio
Theophilus
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 05:02:33 PM »

I'm going to start a section about game design things if there isn't already. I need to think it out more. The sort of stuff like what makes a good enemy, story writing tips, presentation of the game, etc.
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 05:12:08 PM »

I'm going to start a section about game design things if there isn't already. I need to think it out more. The sort of stuff like what makes a good enemy, story writing tips, presentation of the game, etc.

On the gpwiki there is this http://gpwiki.org/index.php/Game_Ideas

Also, I recently found this more universal list of best practices collected from a bunch of game design books and people: http://www.theinspiracy.com/Current Rules Master List.htm

Nix
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 05:35:32 PM »

For now this sort of thing should go into the articles section (e.g. make a page about it and then put it in the "Articles" category). When there is enough of a certain kind of article, we can add them to a subcategory (like Game Design Articles) and link to that category from the home page. So a full page about making a good enemy, with examples of classic games w/ good enemies and that sort of thing should be its own article. I really like that idea though. That's exactly the sort of thing that I want more of in the new wiki. Please do this!
Hach-Que
Level 1

a radical dame who likes to make games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 08:23:16 PM »

Just to let you know, you can get Google to always use www. by configuring it in Google Webmaster Tools.

Theophilus
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 08:54:56 AM »

How do I create a new page? @_@
Nix
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 09:09:16 AM »

How do I create a new page? @_@

Search for it, then click the Create the page "My page" on this wiki! link.
Theophilus
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2011, 10:02:03 AM »

Writing a page on level design. I never knew how much I knew instinctly... that I just did. Hm.

In any case, this is a great project that I'm honored to contribute to, and I'll be glad to learn from it.  Gentleman

EDIT: Done.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:36:51 AM by Theophilus » Logged
Theophilus
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 11:07:33 AM »

Is this still being developed?
Nix
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 02:41:02 PM »

Yes! It would be great if a few more people would be willing to help clean up the residue left over from the wikia dump import. This would mostly involve deleting many of the useless stubs lying about and adding updated info where the old wiki left off (for example, the minecraft article mentioned indev as being the latest version). I can add people to the editor group which will enable page deleting, edit patrolling, and rollbacks. Just ask to be added.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic