Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:00:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTowerWorld: Fast-Paced Strategy Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: TowerWorld: Fast-Paced Strategy Game  (Read 870 times)
DeathByVoid
Level 0

Supreme Overlord

View Profile WWW
« on: March 14, 2011, 11:18:35 AM »

Hey guys, a couple of days ago I decided to start posting about this game I've been working on.  A few weeks ago I had the idea for it, and then put something together really fast in Java as a concept.

What my game is, is a quick and fast-paced strategy game that is designed to be played in short sessions.  A map is randomly generated and populated with trees and mountains (which give you resources), and a bandit camp is also placed as well.  You start by placing your base and are able to build a variety of buildings with different effects.

Gameplay:

At the moment, the game is fairly simple.  I am currently trying to refine the game mechanics to make it more fun.  In its current state, you can build a few buildings including lumber mills, mines, towers, walls and gates.  Periodically, the bandits attack anything they can reach, with increasing strength.  To defend, you may build walls and towers around your base.  The catch is, you must build within the city limits (defined by your walls).  For example, when you start you can build anywhere, but if you build a wall around your base, you must build within it.  This can be bypassed by building a gate, which acts like a wall, except is substantially weaker.

Gameplay is the thing I am working on the most at the moment.  Any suggestions would help!

Graphics:

I currently have very simple graphics I drew myself.  They aren't all very good, and I am going to redo some to make them look nicer (and so that they at least mildly look like what they are suppose to represent).

My interface is also pretty simple, with a timer in the top-left corner, resources in the top-right, and building details in the bottom panel.

Plans:

My plans are:
- Add a lot more buildings with varying effects.
- Greatly improve the game mechanics.
- Make a second version of the game engine. (I sort of did the first version as I went, without proper planning, and I now realize there are a lot of methods I could have abstracted, as well as things I sort of kludged together so it ran for tests.)
- Update the graphics and interface.

Screenshots and updates at:
deathbyvoid.tumblr.com

Suggestions and feedback are always welcome!

Hail to the king, baby!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic