Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411720 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 11:45:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOze - 2D exploring/mining (Demo released!)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: Oze - 2D exploring/mining (Demo released!)  (Read 38155 times)
Ozeotropo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 08, 2011, 09:37:34 PM »

Yep. It kinda works like that. It's only 1 sprite (the hook), the rest are lines.
I'm thinking of recoding the rope to have a more polished version, something like the one in Worms World Party, and also with better cpu usage.
I want to keep the fps at 60 becaus I want the game to have a mix between retro an modern feel. The same goes for rotating sprites, complex animations, smooth physics and other stuff.
Also, If I manage to get the new rope workingI might be able to fix the snapback effect.
Your comments are very helpful! Thanks again

Working on: Lonk's Adventure
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2011, 10:12:29 PM »

Perhaps it could be adjusted to reverse momentum at the vertical max, and simply stop the momentum at the horizontal max...

Ozeotropo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 11, 2011, 05:33:55 AM »

I'll look onto it.

From my devblog:
"New computer, finished my exams, fixed that #@|~!”·$!! bug that made the player go faster in some places, got a new job, got plenty of free time to code."

=)

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: June 11, 2011, 07:16:37 PM »

WEEEEN!

Congratsturbations. Smiley

Eibx
Level 0

ヽ༼ ಠل͟ರೃ ༽ノ

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2011, 06:19:34 AM »

I have for some reason missed the game download, so quite a pleasant surprise to be able to try it out.
The rope mechanics is so much fun - haven't quite figured out to climb on horizontal terrain though.
I really like the idea of retro feel game combined with complex physics.

I'm really looking forward to the a new release. Hand Thumbs Up Right

"You need to be logged in to log out. Please log in to log out."
SageKanye
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 06, 2011, 06:32:29 PM »

How's the next update coming along?

I'm a wannabe game dev/artist/blogger.
Ozeotropo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2011, 04:41:09 AM »

I'm redoing the whole code in order to remove bugs and add more cool stuff. The drawback of course is that it will take some time... but it'll be worth it! I promise!

Ozeotropo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2011, 03:08:38 PM »

Long time no see!! I have fresh news.

As you may know if you were following this thread, this project (codenamed "Oze") has been frozen for a while, since I couldn't fix some major bugs and game maker didn't have the power to run the algorithms I wanted it to (specially the rope/cloth ones).
I decided to try different languages.

At first I tried Unity3d. It was very powerfull and user friendly, but was very focused on 3d games. It was a pain to program the animations so i ended giving up. Then, I tried SDL in C++ but didn't like it.
Finally, I started doing some sketch games with C# in XNA studio and I liked it the most.

But something happened in between: Terraria was released.
Terraria was the game I was thinking in many aspects but they made the game way faster than me (after all, I'm just one person and they were more people and more experienced than me).

Terraria is a GREAT game. I really like the gameplay. My aproach was going to be single player and less building oriented but I decided that, since there was a very similar game out there, there was no point in making another one. That made me a lil sad, but I managed to put myself together and decided to start a new project. That was a month ago or so.

This week I was going to start a totally new project in XNA now that I've found another programmer to join the team and I've learned enough of the language to start moving around.

BUT today I received a very nice donation to support the development of Oze. So... now I felt in debt Smiley

"Oze" will return.
In XNA.
With ropes. RopeS. Lots (C# can handle it).
And it's going to be different from Terraria and Minecraft, I say.

=)

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2011, 02:42:46 AM »

I was wondering where you'd gone and how you'd been for a little while now. Turns out "oze" is something that the search engine here finds in a lot of words, like "doze" or "bulldozer." And yeah... Terraria. It ~IS~ fantastic, but something tells me it kinda came across as a kick in the balls to ya. :S (Although really, I suspect you've spent about 30-50% of this time PLAYING it. XD Who can blame you?)

It is good to know you haven't given up though! There are a lot of interesting directions you can still take this project, especially given the treasure-seeking potential within it, and how different the player mobility is. Oh, and those sexy ropes!

Get in touch sometime! I may not be a C#/XNA pro, but I know enough about it to help debug and revise codestrings.

Ozeotropo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2011, 04:28:44 AM »

(Although really, I suspect you've spent about 30-50% of this time PLAYING it. XD Who can blame you?)
Well... maybe... xD

Ozeotropo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2011, 03:01:18 PM »

Basic terrain generation up and running in XNA!!
Check out http://ozeotropo.tumblr.com/ for some screenshots.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic