Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:45:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPulse of the Labyrinth
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Pulse of the Labyrinth  (Read 9385 times)
andrewjb
Level 0

srsly u guise.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 14, 2011, 11:58:45 PM »

Oh hi, this is our game's thread. Coffee

click to enlarge

The game's focus is on environmental puzzle solving, atmosphere, and exploration. The goal is to make the game's world interesting enough to entice players to want to explore, so we plan on having quite a few paths, secret areas and unlockable abilities. It will play similar to a 2d metroidvania game.

Our developer blog can be found here: http://www.thothinteractive.com
Although most information there I will probably end up posting in this thread as well.

THOTH is a small 2 man development team. I'm the artist on the team and Greg does all the code, we're both in charge of general design. I'm sure my partner will chime into this thread eventually as well. We've been working on it for about 4 months now and are hoping to release a public alpha around mid April (hopefully Concerned). The game is being developed using Unity 3D and Maya 2009.

Anyhoo, we're looking forward to feedback as well as updating this thread with new content!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:25:02 AM by andrewjb » Logged
andrewjb
Level 0

srsly u guise.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 12:42:27 PM »

MEDIA

PUBLIC DEMOS:

Token Demo - PC
Token Demo - Mac

ANIMATIONS:

*NEW*

Animation test: Token Teleport
Animation test: Token Teleport part 2
Animation test: Core animations
Hazard: Slow Plate
Music Sample & Title

STILLS:

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

this one is already pretty large
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:57:16 AM by andrewjb » Logged
andrewjb
Level 0

srsly u guise.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 01:17:55 AM »

ABILITIES

While we get closer to having a playable release, I think I might detail some of the unlockable abilities in the game, mostly because I'm mentally exhausted and can't seem to sleep. Each of the following abilities is unlocked by collecting the 5 letters that make up each of their names, the letters are re-imagined in a sort of cryptic script that creates the shape of the powerup once all the letters have been found. Here are some of the primary ones required for navigating the game's world:

VAULT:

Vault allows the player to rebound off of walls and control the direction of their leap from said wall. It also has the ability to take the distance you've traveled through the air and inject that into a more powerful jump once you cling to something. It makes for some pretty fun launches once you get yourself going.

Performed by pressing action 1 + (up, down, or neutral) once you have clung to a wall.

TOKEN:

Token allows the player to mark their location anywhere they can get solid footing, so as long as you're sitting still and crouching, you are able to place a token. Once placed, you can the recall to that location under similar circumstances.

Peformed by pressing down + action 1 while standing still to save or up + action 1 to recall.

SPIKE:

Spike is an ability that allows the player to spend all energy to quickly dash through the air. Once done so, they cannot perform any other abilities for a while. This is primarily used to destroy breakable environment pieces or get that last bit of oomph needed to land a jump. The ability can also be used while clinging to some movable walls to either push them in or pull them out.

Performed by pressing action 2 in mid air or clung to a wall.

FOCUS:

Focus will allow the player to plant an anchor point anywhere in midair to swing around that point and shift direction. If used properly, it can also increase airtime substantially, although there is a cooldown on it.

Performed by pressing the action 1 while in mid-air.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:57:29 AM by andrewjb » Logged
andrewjb
Level 0

srsly u guise.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 03:47:11 AM »

Updated media section with some in-game screenshots.  Coffee
Kramlack
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 05:24:22 AM »

How come no one has posted here? This is amazing. The animation is smooth, and the look as a whole definitely appears like a lot of thought and polish was put into it, which sets it apart from just another silhouette game.

Gonna keep a close eye on this thread.
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 06:56:41 AM »

Gonna keep a close eye on this thread.

+1, definitely.

andrewjb
Level 0

srsly u guise.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 12:21:12 AM »

Thanks all. Beer!

Added a new video to the media section showing some

, as well as another screenshot.

As far as development progress goes, we've been crunching a bit this week in order to finish our public demo and playable alpha. We're presenting to our local IGDA chapter on the 24th, so we're doing our best to strut our stuff there. Wish us luck!  Grin
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 12:30:27 AM by andrewjb » Logged
JasonPKaplan
Level 0

Never knows best.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 03:56:00 AM »

This looks amazing.

I've got raging art jealousy.

Zerker Commander
Level 0

Who am I! What did I want!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 10:49:34 AM »

Hey everyone. I'm Greg. The man behind the curtain on the Thoth Interactive game, Impulse. I'm here to announce that we will be aiming for a public demo release about APRIL 15th. We'll keep you updated on progress or any changes about the demo.

-Cheers

andrewjb
Level 0

srsly u guise.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 08:03:31 PM »

Holy crap. I will definitely be keeping track of this.

How are you doing the animations anyway? They look amazing.

Our dev blog has a little blurb that explains it:
http://thothinteractive.blogspot.com/2011/03/simplicity-and-magic.html

Also I'll add, pertaining to what Greg said, that we decided on setting a date for the demo only for the purposes of motivating us to work much harder than we have been. Hopefully we'll be able to stick to the deadline, but you guys know how things can get. Shrug
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:15:35 PM by andrewjb » Logged
AlexDJones
Level 0

Dough-faced wonderchild

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 05:40:02 AM »

Jesus, those animations are good! Looking forward to the 15th!
andrewjb
Level 0

srsly u guise.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 08:39:19 AM »

Just a quick update, we're more or less on schedule for the public bug/balance test demo.

To explain it a bit more, the demo won't take place in a proper game level, but rather be a large debug chamber that pretty much allows every action possible in the game with some basic puzzle elements thrown in.
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 08:57:14 AM »

This looks fantastic, you guys! I am looking forward to the 15th. Grin

Kramlack
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 09:57:51 AM »

This looks fantastic, you guys! I am looking forward to the 15th. Grin
Zerker Commander
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 06:28:10 AM »

I'll apologize now for this news in regards to the date of the demo. Long story short the past week I've been combating a bout of the flu, which has caused a delay in completion of some of the necessary features we want in for the demo. These extra few days we'll be taking to make sure that the demo is of a standard that we are comfortable with for public release. Again I apologize for the slight delay from this.

Zerker Commander
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 11:31:08 AM »

New post over on our blog. Have a read! http://www.thothinteractive.com/

andrewjb
Level 0

srsly u guise.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 10:01:37 AM »

Aaaaand we're back...  Coffee

Okay so, it's been a while since we've updated, life has reared it ugly head and made work time hard to find, but I can assure you we're in full force and have been making progress consistently again. We are hoping to release some regular small demos of each of the game's abilities as we work on them, starting with Token's work in progress:

TOKEN DEMO PC DOWNLOAD
TOKEN DEMO MAC DOWNLOAD
--------------------------------------------------
W A S D - Directional Controls
Space - Action
Left/Right - Walk
Down - Crouch
Down + Left/Right - Roll/Crawl
Hold Down + Action - Place Token
Hold Up + Action - Recall to Token

The Token that is already there is a static checkpoint that will nullify a placed Token when it's touched.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:07:26 AM by andrewjb » Logged
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 10:07:53 PM »

The demo plays very smooth. Great work on this so far, I can't wait to see where it goes! Grin

screwtape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »

Those animations are seriously incredible. I really like the limited field of view idea, self-imposed restrictions like that can be really interesting. Love the demo!
Flying Roosters
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 10:10:06 AM »

Really digging the art! We are doing a side project/game with similar style.

Gameplay wise, I don't quite grasp what we are suppose to do in the demo Smiley

We Make Beautiful - Check out our Blog or follow us on Twitter to stay up to date!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic