Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 11:03:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPROTOCOL - Containment
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: PROTOCOL - Containment  (Read 3166 times)
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2011, 01:48:11 PM »

Here's a horror adventure game made from scratch. The game is still in development.
It's a flash 10 game so make sure you have flash 10.2 installed (10.2 gives the best results with performance but it should work with any 10+ player)

I'm hosting it myself on my private server that's sitting in the living room so I'm sorry for the long loads.

Controls
WASD moves
Mouse aims and clicking the mouse shoots (when you have a gun)
Shift sprints

Edit: You might experience some errors when loading maps or random errors while playing the game. We're currently working on the engine so these errors are temporary as not all of the maps/npcs have been modified to support new features.

Update: First 5 maps have been fixed and there's some new stuff in them. Also now health and sanity are separate from each other.

user: beta
pass: open123sesame
http://zamp.koode.org/protocol/

All feedback is welcome Smiley
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:29:27 PM by zamp » Logged
SFBTom
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 04:17:08 AM »

I tried to play it, but the extreme lag made it impossible - the game would freeze for a second or two then jump to where I was going. Seems like any sort of camera movement does it, not just moving the player.

I'm running it on a brand new MacBook Pro by the way, in Chrome and Flash Player 10.2.154.25, so there shouldn't be a problem running intensive stuff...

zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 08:05:53 AM »

I tried to play it, but the extreme lag made it impossible - the game would freeze for a second or two then jump to where I was going. Seems like any sort of camera movement does it, not just moving the player.

I'm running it on a brand new MacBook Pro by the way, in Chrome and Flash Player 10.2.154.25, so there shouldn't be a problem running intensive stuff...

Hmm.. maybe the new wmodes aren't properly supported on mac...
You might want to try it again now that I removed the wmode property from the embed code.
Now it uses normal wmode and that should work on any setup.
mikewest
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 05:14:07 AM »

Just thought I'd note that it didn't lag for me (windows 7).  I'll give the game a longer playthrough when I'm not using a touchpad.
Jasper Flick
Level 2

Catlike Coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 07:29:24 AM »

Just tried it on a MBP and it didn't lag. Looked nice and a nice startled reaction to the fist corpse. Kinda weird that getting caught in a barrel blast makes one confused. I liked the atmosphere but found killing the dogs and factory boss tedious and not really fun. Just run backwards and shoot. Then again I'm using a trackpad so that's probably a lot slower and more troublesome than using a mouse. Auto reload would be nice.

Keep it up!

zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 08:02:31 AM »

Kinda weird that getting caught in a barrel blast makes one confused.

I'm thinking of separating the sanity from health.. as you said it makes no sense as it is now.

I liked the atmosphere but found killing the dogs and factory boss tedious and not really fun.

Yeah.. the first boss is a bit.. dull. I'll figure some stuff out to have some more variety in it. Initially I thought of making a furnace at the boss so you would need to lure it in the furnace and burn it. Not sure why I dropped that idea.. I was probably just being lazy.

Thanks for the reply! Smiley
Jeff_MES
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 09:31:08 AM »

I didnt play through the entire factory level, but seems pretty polished. You did a good job setting the mood. 2 suggestions: First, if you dont give the player a flashlight at start, start them under a light source (I though things were still loading because I didnt see an avatar). Second, when trying to cross a key-card door that you dont have the key too, the screen goes totally dark. Neither of these are huge problems, just thought Id mention them.
Seems like you are off to a great start.
Good luck
Jeff
SFBTom
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 11:37:41 AM »

I'm afraid I'm still seeing a big slowdown, seems to slow my entire computer down. Here's a screenshot of what happens when I play it in terms of cpu/memory:

Perhaps it's the huge memory usage that's causing it to slow for me? 600/700MB was typical, but even staying still and just panning around sent it spiking up to 800/900MB. Of course, 169% cpu usage probably isn't helping either.

I really don't know what to tell you, I regularly develop Flash games on this machine, so it's definitely capable of handling them.

zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 01:57:29 PM »

I'm afraid I'm still seeing a big slowdown, seems to slow my entire computer down. Here's a screenshot of what happens when I play it in terms of cpu/memory:

Thanks for spotting this. There was a leak in the effects (Undisposed bitmapdata and other dynamic stuff)
Please try again and see if it still lags like it did. Also it shouldnt use more than ~140MB of memory now.

I didnt play through the entire factory level, but seems pretty polished. You did a good job setting the mood. 2 suggestions: First, if you dont give the player a flashlight at start, start them under a light source (I though things were still loading because I didnt see an avatar). Second, when trying to cross a key-card door that you dont have the key too, the screen goes totally dark. Neither of these are huge problems, just thought Id mention them.
Seems like you are off to a great start.
Good luck
Jeff

Thanks for the reply. The game is very polished. There's a reason for that. The game has been in development for over a year now Grin
It started out as a flash mmorpg project but soon I figured it'll be too much for me alone to develop so I branched it out towards a shooter and from that to a horror adventure.
The issue with doors has been fixed and the first map has been altered so the player starts under a light.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 02:13:36 PM by zamp » Logged
SFBTom
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 02:23:37 PM »

Thanks for spotting this. There was a leak in the effects (Undisposed bitmapdata and other dynamic stuff)
Please try again and see if it still lags like it did. Also it shouldnt use more than ~140MB of memory now.

Great, works nice and smoothly now, as you say, sits around the 140MB mark. So now that I've actually gotten to play it, it's really enjoyable, and clearly very polished. I like that fact that you're thrown straight into the gameplay, and get to pick up the story as you go. What're your plans in terms of releasing it?

zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 02:53:57 PM »

Great, works nice and smoothly now, as you say, sits around the 140MB mark. So now that I've actually gotten to play it, it's really enjoyable, and clearly very polished. I like that fact that you're thrown straight into the gameplay, and get to pick up the story as you go. What're your plans in terms of releasing it?

There is going to be a slideshow explaining a bit of the backstory in the beginning.
As for release most likely released on steam if they approve it. For roughly 7€.
The storyline is a bit wonky atm but we're working on the storyline aspects of the game atm. Currently it's more like a techno demo than a real story driven game Smiley
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »

Played up to the Hazardous Materials level. A couple things:

Graphics are extremely polished. I liked the music but thought it was occasionally too loud. Great atmosphere too. You'd think a top down perspective would be suboptimal for a horror game, but the lighting system gives it a nice claustrophobic feel. It runs smoothly on my computer (15" Macbook Pro).

Does the sanity do anything other than blur the screen? It might be cool if your character became harder to control as he loses his mind or something.

I'm not sure what to think of the lights going out when you move too close to a wall. On the hand I suppose it's realistic because you're (apparently) meant to see the world "through your character's eyes", so to speak, but I also found it pretty irritating.
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 04:52:06 PM »

I liked the music but thought it was occasionally too loud.

Next time hit ESC and change the music volume Wink

Does the sanity do anything other than blur the screen? It might be cool if your character became harder to control as he loses his mind or something.

Atm when your sanity drops below 50 (hallucinating) you start to have flashes of gory images.
I'm currently working on the sanity part of the game and sanity is going to be separate from health.

I'm not sure what to think of the lights going out when you move too close to a wall. On the hand I suppose it's realistic because you're (apparently) meant to see the world "through your character's eyes", so to speak, but I also found it pretty irritating.

It's a glitch with the shadow casting. Player position goes inside a wall and thus everything is black.
That damn bug has been haunting me for a month now. Every time I fix it it reappears somewhere else :D
I released the new build of the game it fixes the wall and door problem but you might get some errors when loading a map (Not all maps have been changed to use new event objects). You can ignore these errors.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 05:04:21 PM by zamp » Logged
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 10:32:22 AM »

I died on the Storage boss, restarted, killed him (?) sort of.. he seemed to die and became a splat but his health bar didn't disappear and then I got a Flash error that said "ScareEffect is undefined" - sorry should have captured that one more accurately. I was able to leave to the next are but the boss's health bar stayed and blocked some text at the top.
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 09:32:29 AM »

I died on the Storage boss, restarted, killed him (?) sort of.. he seemed to die and became a splat but his health bar didn't disappear and then I got a Flash error that said "ScareEffect is undefined" - sorry should have captured that one more accurately. I was able to leave to the next are but the boss's health bar stayed and blocked some text at the top.

We're currently improving the engine so you might experience errors like these.
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 01:29:16 PM »

First 5 maps have been fixed and there's some new stuff in them. Also now health and sanity are separate from each other.
Also new url:
http://zamp.koode.org/protocol/
basara
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 05:17:40 PM »

I really like this, it reminds me of a game I used to play a long time ago called Tapan Kaikki.
Unfortunately the game runs quite slow on this computer, so I gave up playing after I reached the first computer terminal.

Random feedback:
- When I picked up the first note in the first level it was unclear how to close it and return to the game, also random white pixels would appear (is that a bug?).
- I suggest that when the flashlight is turned on you render a small light centered on your own player, I found the flashlight as it is right now a bit disorienting/confusing.
- The first enemies encountered get too close to you when attacking which makes it confusing, I often lost sight of them to later find that they were actually right on top of me.
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 11:00:50 PM »

When I picked up the first note in the first level it was unclear how to close it and return to the game, also random white pixels would appear (is that a bug?).
The new note feature isn't yet complete thus it has no explanation on how to close it.
Random pixels aren't a bug. Whenever the game is paused it starts to randomly pixelate the screen buffer.

I suggest that when the flashlight is turned on you render a small light centered on your own player, I found the flashlight as it is right now a bit disorienting/confusing.
The game is supposed to be a little disorienting/confusing.

The first enemies encountered get too close to you when attacking which makes it confusing, I often lost sight of them to later find that they were actually right on top of me.
I might move the first monster spawn location so it'll spawn a little further away.

Thanks for the feedback Smiley
diwil
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 04:30:48 AM »

Nice to see you here, Zamp. :D
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 08:39:49 AM »

Nice to see you here, Zamp. :D
Thanks, it's good to be here Smiley