Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:46:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Megavania
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project Megavania  (Read 2440 times)
Tokyoma
Level 1

wut

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2011, 11:16:51 PM »

Project title soon to change.

Project ambition not subject to change.

Project goals will change, but as of now are as follows.

How to read this goal list:

1. Dates are in order from start at the top, down to the current project status.
2. My current mood/completion of the goal, as they are directly related, will be signified by smiley faces.

Goals for 3/18/2011~3/20/2011
  • Begin vaguely detailing level layouts and contents. More about how levels will flow with each other and how different items lead to different accessibility.Sad
  • Begin designing item outlines.Sad
  • Begin contemplating enemy designs. Sad
Goal summary here.

Goals for 3/20/2011~3/22/2011
  • Finish vaguely detailing level layouts and contents. More about how levels will flow with each other and how different items lead to different accessibility.Undecided
  • Begin and finish designing item outlines. Sad
  • Begin contemplating enemy designs. Sad

Project synopsis is to create a game similar in nature to the Megaman, Castlevania, and Metroid series that holds the player's interest through unique and useful items.
Where as upon observing a game, such as Megaman, one is given a series of items that are mostly useless outside of boss combat.
Or observing Castlevania or Metroid, where item types and effects vary but for the most part feel either systematic and scripted or serve little to no function.

The major focus of this project will be to create dynamic and interesting items and abilities that keep the player moving but allow a fluid play style, one such that the player can adapt and use what resources he has to progress while not being delimited by a red-lock-needs-red-key play style.

Panda
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 06:43:20 PM by Tokyoma » Logged
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 09:21:41 AM »

Color me interested. I'm looking forward to seeing how you'll pull that one off.

Tokyoma
Level 1

wut

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 06:37:40 PM »

Goal Summary: 3/18/2011~3/20/2011

Well in the very least i've outlined the general themes of the level and thought of a semi-coherent way to piece things together. However, on the end of content i feel as though i've delivered very little. On the other hand i've also chosen powers that will be gained along the way, so not all is lost. i should have some fun stuff coming in the thread soon as well, to keep hype and team spirits! // Team being me... Undecided

Also, recently i have noticed myself dreaming too big once again. i have a lot of great ideas for bigger stuff. i'd love to see this become a very full game, but i need to take it a little more slowly and make sure attention gets paid to everything.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:26:41 PM by Tokyoma » Logged
Tokyoma
Level 1

wut

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 12:27:34 PM »

Mkay, significant update. Decided the game will go for side-scrolling platformer over top down adventure.
Also decided to limit my goals to be more concise and to be vigilant about pursuing them. Too often my mind is caught wondering to places far away from work.

Okay so here's the run down on everything we have so far.

Game will be a side-scrolling, adventure, platformer.

The game will host 5 main areas, each with a secondary sub-area that serve as a sort of dungeon/boss room.

So far those areas are as follows:
  • |First Area  |  Second Area|
  • Jungle Area    Ruins Area
  • Mountain Area    Temple Area
  • Grassy Area    Castle Area
  • Snowy Area    Factory Area
  • Desert Area    Pyramid Area

And respectively the powers gained are:

• |Area Name  |  Power Name|
  • Jungle Area    Power of Animation
  • Mountain Area    Power of Self
  • Grassy Area    Power of Courage
  • Snowy Area    Power of Technology
  • Desert Area    Power of Mysticism

Mkay, now as for the in game items and how they all relate to everything.. At first thought, it seemed plausible to just think about the areas and think about cool ways to make them all very adaptable with common items. But really it turned out to be a strain on the brain to think over so much at once. So, instead, one area at a time will be dealt with. And after each separate area is complete use the objects within them to compare and contrast for better connectivity.

So for today my completion has been of various items or objects to be seen in the Jungle area. Also, drafting objects for the ruins area and a few uses for the Power of Animation.

Jungle Area - Objects
Vines
Stones
Rivers/Water
Crocodiles
Primates
Birds
Fish
Trees //Duh!
Spiders
Ants

Ruins Area - Objects
Vines
Stones
Water
Mega Croc
Stairs
Switches
Traps
Snakes
Statues

As for the Power of Animation, unfortunately only these uses have been thought of:
  • Reviving the dead.
  • Animating inanimate objects.
  • Move Lazy people.

Also decided to drag out this old engine for use.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:38:23 PM by Tokyoma » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic