Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 06:32:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSlug
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Slug  (Read 7290 times)
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« on: March 18, 2011, 09:07:40 PM »

This is a quick game project on which I am working.

Features as of March 20:
 + 41 levels spread across 4 worlds
 + 2 of 4 main menu options functional
 + Some music

Download demo game
Use the arrow keys to move, r to restart a level, and space to navigate menus.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:25:08 AM by David [Madk] Kirschner » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 10:13:39 PM »

when I got to level 9 it says "LOSE no more moves press space to restart" even though I haven't even moved yet. and it just keeps repeating the phrase every time I press space. must be bugged.

I've played this type of game a million times, but games like it and sokoban and such are always entertaining. And I've always had a soft spot for ASCII so that's cool.

overall it was very easy, I didn't really have to study the levels or anything and I just mindlessly waltzed through the levels.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 06:57:43 AM »

I fixed the aforementioned bug, added a level select screen, savegames, and 2 more levels. Use the download link in the first post.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 11:00:25 AM »

Another update, with more levels and some misc. improvements.

Use link in first post
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 01:55:26 PM »

This is fun  Grin

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 03:07:11 PM »

I actually love these types of games.  I'm curious, were you at all inspired by "Wrath of the Gopher"?  It's got a really similar feel (you have to clear the room, but you're only allowed to trace new ground). 

I like the ASCII look (reminds me of the old DOS games I played as a kid), and I like the different floor mechanics (like the % tiles that you can walk over multiple times, or the + tiles that represent doors).  I also think it's really neat how as you get to the higher levels you can start going into different rooms.

My only suggestion would be to allow the player to restart the level.  Right now, you need to run yourself out of space or moves before it allows you to start over, which can be tedious if you realize you've screwed up early on.  I also got a bit confused on 1-9 because of the frequency of the room switching.  Overall though, I think this is a great project, and it seems like there's a ton of potential for what you can do with the rooms.  I'm looking forward to playing more ^_^

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 03:18:46 PM »

'r' restarts a level.

Also, I have never played or heard of Wrath of the Gopher. The origin of this game is that I was thinking about the game Snake and thought that combining it with a rougelike would be cool. Slug was birthed.

Updated download link now contains a total of 23 levels plus more improvements and another special tile.

Suggestions/ideas for unique tiles are very welcome! Ideas I haven't implemented yet are switches & doors, tiles that let you move a number of tiles without leaving a trail, and tiles that destroy any trail you've already left (except for on that tile)

Please note that it is not my intention to make solving levels remarkably difficult. If you are finding the game too easy, try to earn a yellow star on all the levels; you get it by exceeding or matching the default high score (which is only slightly lower than the most efficient route I've found possible. Also, note that the highest possible score is always higher than the default high score)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:27:26 PM by David [Madk] Kirschner » Logged
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 03:31:09 PM »

Quote from: David
'r' restarts a level.
Ah, my bad -- I totally missed that from the OP!

Are you going to have any other roguelike elements (like treasure or enemies)?  Not that it needs it, I was just curious.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 03:44:50 PM »

I'm not totally sure what I'll be doing yet, but I do want to have enemies (basically things that move in set patterns and impede you, maybe even be deadly to the touch)

The level selection menu is minorly bugged past world 1. I'm working to fix it atm, it's kind of weird  Undecided
edit: fixed, I think
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:56:55 PM by David [Madk] Kirschner » Logged
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 04:55:07 PM »

I got to level 1-A. That's when the level design got more complex than i cared to keep track of. It gives me a reason to pick your game up again later and beat it.

I don't like the controls. Sometimes i'd want to move once and i moved twice. Since i have to be careful about how i move, i never wanted to hold the button down.

Suggestions/ideas for unique tiles are very welcome! Ideas I haven't implemented yet are switches & doors, tiles that let you move a number of tiles without leaving a trail, and tiles that destroy any trail you've already left (except for on that tile)

How about number tiles? If the tile is '1' and go move over it, it becomes '0'. If the tile is '0' and you move over it, it leaves a trail.

How about a tile that erases your entire tail? (but can only be used once) You could make an level where if you go after one star, you miss another. Then you step on a tile, your tail goes away, and you can get all the stars you missed.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 06:38:18 PM »

I added things that move back and forth in a linear pattern, they change direction when they hit a barrier.

These bastards make for some insanely hard levels.

edit: updated for maximum awesomeness. Now with 4 new dungeon levels! Use download link in first post.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:11:40 PM by David [Madk] Kirschner » Logged
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 10:50:34 PM »

World 3 is complete! Download from link in first post.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 07:53:53 AM »

Work on world 4 has begun:

seramis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 10:05:51 AM »

This is great. I would love to see a version playable on a cell-phone. Its simple but highly addictive, the graphics give it a rough, but lovely feeling. I think some ambient or slow and mysterious music would go great with this game.

Great job!
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 11:26:39 AM »

I have begun work on the game's soundtrack and made quite a few odd improvements. I've also made the first 7 levels of world 4, which includes a brand-new special tile.
seramis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 11:53:38 AM »

Care to share a sample of what the music will sound like? I make the music for Neotron games projects, so I am a bit interested in your process.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 12:43:01 PM »

There are two tracks, the menu track and the world 3 theme (both tentative) in the download in the music\ folder. I used Famitracker to compose both.
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 12:48:20 PM »

Quote from: David
I have begun work on the game's soundtrack and made quite a few odd improvements. I've also made the first 7 levels of world 4, which includes a brand-new special tile.
Wow, you're so productive!  I come back to this thread only to see that you've already uploaded new builds ^_^  I'm glad you're putting in a soundtrack... I had forgotten to mention in my earlier post that adding some SFX would be nice.  I'll make sure to check it out.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 05:43:08 PM »

whoa really 41 levels already? my my.

ill give it a go and report back how far i got.

edit: is there any way to skip levels? pandemic is very frustrating due to the amounts of traveling and so many different rooms.

and I should make a note that, in a game such as this, quality > quantity. so many levels may either bore the player or frustrate them.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 05:50:49 PM by allen » Logged
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 06:04:24 PM »

I'm planning on making it possible to skip levels, but it's not possible at this point.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic