Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 08:08:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopEven MORE Character Concept Feedback!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Even MORE Character Concept Feedback!  (Read 1707 times)
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2011, 10:10:24 AM »

So many feedback threads, so little time.

This is a character for an idea on the backburner for a while now. The original game's concept is a Zelda-like Golden-Axe-Warrior-like starring a female warrior in some semi-generic quest. I plan on tracing over her in Illustrator, so I need some quick feedback before I do so and before I draw over those mistakes I probably have made.

Anyway, what say you, as in terms of what needs to be remedied?
Kramlack
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 12:34:40 PM »

First off, drop the scribble style, you'll work ten times faster if you focus on quick lines over the scribble lines (I should know, I used to do the same thing).

Getting down to the actual piece of art, the proportions are all wacky, even for cartoon'ish proportions, they're pretty ridiculous. The body's way to big compared to the features, making the legs and arms look incredibly short. Moving on from that point, the arm holding the shield should be bent back more, so you can see the tip of the elbow from the right side of the shield. Finally, the pose is very boring, it could use some energy. Make the limbs take on more interesting shapes, give the face a better expression (is she feeling confident scaling the mountain? Scared?)

EDIT: Okay, added the image. I'm sure it's not the best, but it should get a lot of my points across well enough. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 12:58:05 PM by Kramlack » Logged
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 07:06:32 AM »

I was going to comment on line-of-action between the arm on the left and the foot on the right; but that illustration shows perfectly what I'd be getting at. And she could use some kind of head gear... maybe not a totally typecast "Link hat" per se, but something to draw some attention there, like a tiara perhaps, or some game-functional earrings (IE: earring upgrades change colors/defense rate?).

Two other head things I've learned not to undervalue; foreheads and chins. Give a little space allowance for that kind of thing, it's what sets a lot of faces apart from one another. And to the contrary of what was suggested, I was thinking "bigger limbs" in contrast to "smaller body," but they both amount to the same thing.

Also: Kudos for avoiding "the Zelda argument." Wink Hand Thumbs Up Right

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 03:03:23 AM »

Erm, no further critiques of the pose, 'cause Kramlack and baconman have more of an eye than I do. Good eyes on them. I'll definitely second that strong, confident lines destroy sketchy little ones in any and all illustration attempts.

As for the actual character design, the Concept... Archetypal and Simple are both fine things to aim for, and often exactly what you want. But "Generic" is probably not the best goal. I think you should work a little more on what you want her to be. Work some of her personality, or her goals, or at least her world into the design.

She looks pretty timid in your drawing, that's neat. So, she's inexperienced, but with what looks to be an ornate shield (and sword, presumably). Emphasise the contrast a little more, perhaps. Do a few more sketches of her alongside things she'll be encountering - where is she coming from, what's she getting herself into? Could give you some ideas. It doesn't have to be a large change (and shouldn't!), but at the moment she's pretty plain.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic