Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:27:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)who here can hack (and does...)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: who here can hack (and does...)  (Read 8302 times)
Etaoin Shirdlu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 09:22:36 AM »

well... i use ruby because:
a) im 15, doing GCSEs and dont have the knowledge or time for more complicated languages
I don't think you'd have very much difficulty switching between scripting languages. The syntax may be different, but there are equivalents for the most common commands (I have minor experience in Perl, GML, Javascript and Python)

b) Ruby is the greatest scripting system ever...
no really... everything is an object so by putting hello.upcase for instance... hello now = HELLO or hello.size returns 5 because its 5 letters long...

Unless I'm sorely mistaken, everything is an object in Python as well.
"hello".upper() also returns HELLO. "hello".capitalize() will yield "Hello".

c)the ruby interpreter already uses a cut down version of SDL and the interpreter that needs to be packaged with your games / scripts is a measly 0.5MB, so that plus your 1MB of script = a game at the smallest size!
Is the size of the game you're hoping to make really that important? Between the massive hard drives in computers and the popularity of high-speed internet, I'm not sure why it really matters if a game is a few megs smaller than it would be.

e) ruby is quite fun to program because its so dam simple... i found gamemaker harder than ruby... and ruby is raw code XD
Gamemaker is really pretty easy, although I've always had a little trouble with it. And you can do raw code in gamemaker. Just create a script to be executed when an event occurs. GML is pretty easy to pick up.

im happy with this one and my ability is quite high with it... thast the reason im trying to break barriers and build a complete game engine using a lagless simple ruby audio / graphics system... already built into RGSS.
Well, that's your prerogative. If you want to be the first to do something big like that, go for it, but if you want to make games as a hobby, you might be better off changing plans.
mechacrash
Level 1

It's almost like I'm actually being productive!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 01:17:08 AM »

the thing is my hobby is scripting not game development... it just leads to that in the end XD.

all i do is make systems that will make things advanced and much easier / better to make more advanced games... in ruby.

i just wanted to be able to make a game using my systems and the graphics engine of RGSS completely in ruby, its a challenge and that means EVERYTHING would be scripted... more fun / challenges for me XD

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 06:29:10 AM »

Then go ahead. Just expect to spend a long while doing it. Tongue

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
mechacrash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 07:47:41 AM »

i wasnt expecting any less XD

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 08:10:51 AM »

why you want to do that?
Doing that you violate the EULA, which specifies that third parties may not alter the program's executables.

Also, rpgmaker sucks, instead of learning to hack dlls you can learn a proper programming language or a better tool Wink

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008, 08:29:17 AM »

Yeah, if anything you might want to consider legal issues.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008, 08:55:03 AM »

but then hey... i havnt tried many scripting languages and tehres probably ones better... but sadly none are 100% object orientated Sad

I'm pretty sure the phrase "object orientated" is outlawed by the Roving Band of Computer Science Terminology Pedants.  I won't tell on you ... THIS TIME.

Also, nothing wrong with wanting to stick with what you know, but if you have to reverse engineer an entire API to use it, is it really worth sticking to?  I mean, not only will it be way too much work, but you might find out in the end that it really isn't designed to do everything you're hoping for.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008, 09:04:57 AM »

Looks like you are just looking for excuses to procrastinate.
It doesn't matter what  your game runs on, just make it work.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
mechacrash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 11:44:42 AM »

...well it turns out that i have pretty much rebuilt all the systems (except the tilemap) in 3 days... so i dont see what the problem is with everyone complaining. I WILL stick to ruby because i want to, i dont want or care if people tell me to do otherwise.

also reverse engineering the entire API would make the systems lag free... and quick to edit.

the system i just built does the same as the original BUT... not as good, it has 1 fps of lag and it screws up transitions (working on it)... but overall i think its pretty neat for only 3 days.

anyway i was only asking for people to hlep me if they wanted to or if they were interested so i dont expect people coming in saying ruby isnt a "proper" coding language (as it most definately is) and that rpgmaker sucks... rpgmaker sucks because noone has the originality on it, theres too many sites where people just use other people resources and as such nothing new is ever built... im aiming to do the opposite but to do that i believe its neccessary to change EVERYTHING... if you wanna complain do so but i will continue doing my own choice.

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 06:44:29 AM »

I don't recall anyone saying Ruby was bad, just that it wasn't the only scripting / coding language worth using.  And I was trying to offer advice; not sure how that counts as complaining.

Glad you got stuff working, though.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
coderneedsfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2008, 08:58:58 AM »

http://www.sfml-dev.org/

has a ruby binding and looks super easy to get something running , check the sample scripts that come with it from the Download page

cheers

Zaphos
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2008, 12:52:16 PM »

...well it turns out that i have pretty much rebuilt all the systems (except the tilemap) in 3 days...
Does this mean that you no longer need help with the reverse engineering?

it has 1 fps of lag
Do you mean that it runs at 1 fps?
mechacrash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2008, 12:26:11 AM »

thankfully... no it runs at 39fps instead of 40... and thats only when you press lots of buttons or are fading more than one music file for instance...

by the way in these past 2 days ive now rebuilt the input module completely and audio module... wow, the time consumtion is stupendous (cough)

an with the reverse engineering i still do need help as its the graphics and tilemap class i need it for XD

the rest i thought i could remake... and i did... btu now it gets harder...

why can you help??

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic