Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:16:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 894326 times)
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2420 on: February 04, 2013, 02:42:48 PM »

The Saboteur, an underestimate game with its flaws but it's really funny.  Gentleman

Seriously... this game is awesome. Its driving isn't as good as other open world games but the gameplay and atmosphere totally makes up for it.

vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: February 04, 2013, 03:46:28 PM »

Playing some RPGmaker games right now. Ib and The Witch's House were pretty neat psychological (?) horror games, and To the Moon is pretty emotional from the get go. Also finally enjoying Space Funeral, I was pretty hesitant to the whole RPGmaker game, but it's got great atmosphere, music and concept. Gonna try Desert Nightmare soon
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: February 04, 2013, 03:52:50 PM »

nvm what i posted earlier about path of exile, i gave the game another shot over the past 2 days. im not deep enough into it to make a final assessment but so far its pretty damn good. agree with derek and alevice that it solves a lot of the design issues that plague so many diablolikes.

also gotta love how they pretty much straight up copied FF7's materia system without even really adapting it and somehow it fits the diablo formula like a glove. who'd have thought.

fyi the entire thing is a rip off of several FF systems combined with diablo. The skill grid thing is straight from final fantasy 10, the weapon slotting stuff is from 7, the boring bejeweled-esq loot hunting / monster click spamming is straight from diablo. yeah, it works out pretty nicely; unfortunately, it's still a diablo.

plus, i couldn't play it without getting a headache because the fov is so small + some of the spells take up so much screen space

diablos are literally just match 3s for "hardcore gamers." i don't get how nerds can simultaneously play these and complain about ios / facebook games

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: February 04, 2013, 03:56:46 PM »

o
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2424 on: February 04, 2013, 04:43:30 PM »

diablos are literally just match 3s for "hardcore gamers." i don't get how nerds can simultaneously play these and complain about ios / facebook games

It's kinda true... but most mainstream games are casual these days insofar as you can pretty much just grind through them without a lot of skill.

PoE is pretty tough for a Diablolike, though, and although you can certainly play it like a mindless clickfest you'll hit a wall eventually and I feel that the game generally encourages much more planning. For example, the "loot" system is much more evolved than most other ARPGs... with the orbs even normal, non-magic items can be turned into something cool. So it doesn't feel like the kind of dumpster-diving you do in Diablo/Borderlands/Skyrim/FarCry 3/etc. I hate to even call it "loot", actually.

And I think the time-limited races and PVP stuff that's going to start soon could be very competitive. If you don't know what you're doing you're going to end a race 50 levels behind the top players, from the looks of it. In theory it sounds great and if it works out it could become THE way to play these types of games, with the regular campaign being more like a story mode or practice mode.

I mean, I'm not going to try too hard to convince someone who hates ARPGs that they'll like PoE, but if you're on the fence at all I think this game is quite good. It's far less casual than Diablo.
Amorphous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: February 04, 2013, 05:17:03 PM »

So I was almost at the end of Final Fantasy XIII what, a few weeks ago? Nope, still playing it.

I think I've managed to spend more hours playing Final Fantasy than I have working on the game I'm making right now. Dunno what to think about that.

I've complained about the plot already, but it does make a bit more sense once I wiki'd it (and managed to get it in chronological order...) Now I'm complaining about why EVERYTHING IN THIS GAME NEEDS TO BE RIDICULOUSLY GORGEOUS it's beautiful, but makes me feel like my own work is really bad.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2426 on: February 05, 2013, 01:28:09 AM »

Now I'm complaining about why EVERYTHING IN THIS GAME NEEDS TO BE RIDICULOUSLY GORGEOUS it's beautiful, but makes me feel like my own work is really bad.

High budget commercial games always have an advantage in graphics and (usually) music, but almost never have the advantage in anything else. Gameplay often has to be watered down, and story is often cliched or just plain bad. These are both the result of "playing it safe" as a development style, where they are afraid to take any risks. Indies have the advantage in these aspects, even if their games don't look as nice.

On-topic, I've been playing Ascension, the card game for iOS, a lot lately. It's incredibly addicting and has good gameplay, even if it is a little too luck-based. Unfortunately, it seems the app has been neglected by the devs, who have not added the latest cards or improved it much in any way (anything but 1v1 multiplayer is pretty much dead due to the bad browser...)

It still makes me want to make my own self-contained TCG though.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: February 05, 2013, 04:15:59 AM »

Indies don't automatically have an advantage in gameplay and story - plenty of Indie games rely on cliched rescue-the-princess stories if they have any story at all, or resort to traditional gameplay mechanics (platformer, tower defense, metroidvania or the dreaded Physics Puzzler). The ratio of original Indie games to original AAA commercial games is likely to be exactly the same, even in the modern era where big publishers can use digital distribution to produce small games around a concept that might not have been appropriate for a full commercial release to keep pace with the greater ease of independent game publishing. (owing for vagueness at what you define as 'original')

Graphics is usually where AAA games shine, because they can afford to hire a full team of artists to make huge 3-d vistas. Otherwise they're just as likely to take a risk as an Indie, especially since a huge AAA company can afford a few poor sellers in the search of new IPs to generate parallel streams of sequels. Ironically, that was FFXIII's problem - Square regularly reinvents the FF combat system, and they picked a bad one while trying to make it indirect, something unusual for a JRPG. It was a bomb not because it was cliched, but because the new combat system turned out, in practice, to be painfully shallow without much room for improvement and mastery (Paradigm shifting with proper timing gave you the biggest edge, but summons were rarely useful, and casting spells like Quake wasn't sustainable, leaving it for rare circumstances). I suspect Square noticed this in the middle of development, tried to add in some mechanics to give the player more choices, and then decided crappy combat or not, they were going to just go forward with it anyway. Playing it safe, in this case, would be to just copy the combat system from one of their previous successful titles and maybe add a few new summons or items. Even in direct sequels, Square doesn't do this (even FFX, which was a very successful game, completely changed the mechanics and tone of the story for FFX-2).

I started with Darksiders 2. I was expecting something different from the original based on the reviews, but I really didn't expect such an odd mixture of genres. It's sort of like a mix between Diablo and Prince of Persia, with parkour-style platforming and an equipment system that has you trading out gear frequently for minor upgrades. I like the way you can equip from the ground, so I don't spend a lot of time in menus.

I'm sad that the post-apocalyptic city environments haven't made an appearance, but I'm still early in the game. The zelda-style dungeon in the subway station of Darksiders 1 was such a brilliant subversion of expectations in mechanics and environmental design, and I had hoped to see a lot more of that.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2428 on: February 05, 2013, 06:45:57 AM »

Graphics is usually where AAA games shine, because they can afford to hire a full team of artists to make huge 3-d vistas. Otherwise they're just as likely to take a risk as an Indie, especially since a huge AAA company can afford a few poor sellers in the search of new IPs to generate parallel streams of sequels.

I would call games like The World Ends With You taking a risk - making a new Final Fantasy game and changing the battle system isn't a risk, just a change. If the big guys pumped out lots of small and original games, they might be a threat to the indies, but they would rather stick with their big budget epics. That doesn't mean an indie game can't suck, but they have a lot more freedom and don't have to stick with an established IP.

The reason why these big games sometimes turn out badly is bureaucracy and the inability to make agile changes, something that Valve does pretty well but Square Enix doesn't.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: February 05, 2013, 06:54:17 PM »

Yes. Big companies can put a lot of effort behind a big name series, but it's hard to move a bureaucracy towards original thought without effectively dumping money into skunkworks R&D and praying.

I disagree that new Final Fantasy games aren't risks, though. The fact that several of them have managed to bomb (FF8 and 13 are notoriously hated, as above) because the series has attempted to mix up the formula substantially between titles. Compare it to the Dragon Quest series, which is truly an example of creating games that stick to a very tight formula and vary very little.

Little jumps in innovation need to be awarded too, like taking a risk with a new art style (Okami, Wind Waker) or experimenting with an original mechanic (Portal, Katamri Damacy) or just designing a world that defies expected game conventions (Shadow of the Colossus).

Picked up Sly Cooper 4. If you loved Sly Cooper 2 and 3, it's the same game with new characters and heists. It feels a little reminiscent or the original Sly Cooper too, since many of the jobs seem to lead to unique platforming maps. The time travel story fits in neatly with continuity from the previous games, and the ancestor Coopers have neat mechanics like one with a super teleport jump thing that make them feel like more than a quick reskin of Sly, which is nice.

Now I need to buckle down and finish the games I have.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2430 on: February 06, 2013, 05:03:13 AM »

Changing Final Fantasy might be more of a risk than keeping it like Dragon Quest, but that's because it's the series TRADITION. Unfortunately, they seem to be breaking with tradition and making sequels such as FFXIII-2 and FFXIII-3 that are less of a risk. Plus, Squeenix seems to be intent on abandoning the fans of actual RPGs and making cheap mobile games that are also, you guessed it, "less risky" - at least in the short term. Everything Squeenix does these days is about corporate decisions, no creativity involved, just stick to small games that grab money from the customer and large epics that people buy for the wow factor.

IMO, truly innovative games are ones that people actually want to play because of that particular innovation. A game that a seasoned gamer would look at and say, "this looks like something exciting!", not "that's cool, but it doesn't seem fun".

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2431 on: February 06, 2013, 06:29:47 AM »

The Saboteur, an underestimate game with its flaws but it's really funny.  Gentleman

Seriously... this game is awesome. Its driving isn't as good as other open world games but the gameplay and atmosphere totally makes up for it.

Indeed, although I was always more partial to the sequel. Can't help but love a game where the first game protagonist's sister dons ninja gear and goes on an avenging rampage, punching pumas in the face.

We are talking about the 1985 game and it's 1987 sequel, right?  Ninja

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2432 on: February 06, 2013, 10:01:13 AM »

I'm glad PokeMon Mystery Dungeon is still a fun play-until-the-end-forever game; and I've been having more fun with Metroid Zero Mission. This is mostly because I'm still in a home on wheels, and my GBA has become my primary gaming device now. ~.~'

keelo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2433 on: February 06, 2013, 07:55:25 PM »

I've been playing Anodyne. Really digging the writing, and the general theme/vibe. <spoilers>There's a jumping mechanic introduced later in the game that's kind of wonky. I dunno. Maybe I'm just getting old. But this room had me in tears of rage

It's a pretty sweet game though! Does a good job of subverting some of my Link's Awakeningesque expectations.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:04:24 PM by keelo » Logged
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: February 07, 2013, 12:27:05 AM »

Been on a super Roguelike kick lately. Mostly playing a lot of Brogue, but I've also discovered Unreal World which is amazing as well. It's exactly what I have always wanted: a survival Roguelike. Brogue is definitely shaping up to be my favorite traditional Roguelike of all-time, even potentially surpassing Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer on the DS for me. I am really looking forward to future updates of Brogue and Oryx's continued tweaking of the Brogue tileset, which looks great so far. Unreal World is definitely looking to become one of my favorite Roguelikes of all time behind Brogue and Shiren for sure. I love how much there is in it, and tracking animals...don't get me started.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2435 on: February 07, 2013, 02:10:04 AM »

The Saboteur, an underestimate game with its flaws but it's really funny.  Gentleman

Indeed, although I was always more partial to the sequel. Can't help but love a game where the first game protagonist's sister dons ninja gear and goes on an avenging rampage, punching pumas in the face.

We are talking about the 1985 game and it's 1987 sequel, right?  Ninja

No, it's called "THE Saboteur", so I'm guessing it's this game from 2009 Facepalm

(Wait.. how is a ninja a saboteur? Wouldn't he just be a thief?)

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2436 on: February 07, 2013, 10:41:21 AM »

Yeah, I updated Brogue last time I logged in, and drove a bit of it. First, a little part of me cringed when I heard the dungeon generator was rewritten ground-up. But it turns out pretty good. Circular and heart-shaped rooms are a nifty... thing. I mostly love the rebalancing of key retrieval, though; there's a lot of cool troubleshooting options now.

Like... fire trap and no fireproofing potion? Use an incindeary dart or staff of firebolt to burn the grass FIRST, and THEN grab the key, now that there's nothing left to engulf. SO effing brilliant.

It feels considerably more fair and balanced now, without becoming boring or easy; and having the charms pre-identified doesn't hurt matters at all. A shame I can only play at Denny's, the libraries, and the bookstore right now (wherever I can get a public plug-in, basically).

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: February 07, 2013, 12:12:52 PM »

Like... fire trap and no fireproofing potion? Use an incindeary dart or staff of firebolt to burn the grass FIRST, and THEN grab the key, now that there's nothing left to engulf. SO effing brilliant.
i thought that was always in the game..?
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: February 07, 2013, 01:52:41 PM »

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2439 on: February 07, 2013, 02:02:27 PM »

It is, but now options like that are better explored in the level/game design. It's more skilly and less lucky, you know?

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic