Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:52:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 902449 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: February 07, 2013, 02:56:28 PM »

A shame I can only play at Denny's, the libraries, and the bookstore right now (wherever I can get a public plug-in, basically).

You only play Brogue online? How does that work exactly? Out of curiosity, what is the reason you can't install and play Brogue locally?

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2441 on: February 07, 2013, 05:44:18 PM »

I can only ~update~ it online. And well... I can only play it where I can plug in, since my 2006-old battery has a whopping 40 seconds of unplugged life in it. T.T

I'm getting WAY behind the curve here. The Binding of Issac lags my machine, ffs. It's tragic! lol

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: February 07, 2013, 06:46:24 PM »

There will likely be a quick 1.7.2 update due to several bugs, based on what I'm seeing on the Brogue forum.

The healing spores were a real WTF moment. The game still ain't any easier.
keelo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2443 on: February 07, 2013, 08:55:06 PM »

The Binding of Issac lags my machine, ffs. It's tragic! lol

Don't feel that bad, the Binding of Isaac brings my not-shabby-at-all Macbook Pro to its knees! What's tragic is that such an incredible game has got a gnarly technical foundation (*cough*flash*cough).

Actually, I'm not sure I would have beaten Isaac if not for that slowdown...
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: February 08, 2013, 10:51:07 AM »

Gothic 3!
keelo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2445 on: February 09, 2013, 04:36:06 AM »

just stayed up till 4:30 am playing antichamber. and most of what I have to say is...

seriously an amazing puzzle game. as you play, the goal posts keep getting moved back to more and more mindf**k territory. it's great.
Gryphon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2446 on: February 09, 2013, 05:29:17 PM »

Unreal World is definitely looking to become one of my favorite Roguelikes of all time

Yeah, I stumbled across that game a while ago, and loved the atmosphere... it was incredibly in-depth... even a bit overwhelming! ADOM is my game of choice, though the new version of ToME is looking quite nice... DoomRL is great, too, and I love the new tiles. Haven't had a chance to check out Brogue yet, though I might go download it now...

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: February 09, 2013, 05:39:12 PM »

ya i don't get why URW isn't more popular. it rules.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: February 10, 2013, 05:42:01 AM »

Unreal World is considered a shareware classic in Finland, but I guess it's only recently started to get recognition elsewhere.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: February 10, 2013, 01:21:37 PM »

Me and two friends got on Skype one night, downloaded Euro Truck Simulator 2 and started new profiles simultaneously. Our goal was to earn enough money from doing delivery jobs to buy our own trucks (with an importance on being the one to earn the most money). We decided to start in Bratislava. If we had to leave the computer for some reason we had to stop by a truck stop. It was a weirdly hypnotizing and "fun" gameplay experience driving through eastern Europe while listening to polish country radio.

It would have been even better if we could play in the same multiplayer map and if the world scale would have been more accurate.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:59:37 PM by Mono » Logged

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: February 10, 2013, 04:25:30 PM »

ya i don't get why URW isn't more popular. it rules.

I'm just surprised that I haven't heard of it until now. Although, I do seem to remember maybe hearing a tinsy bit about it sometime ago, but never really followed up on it, but I can't recall. All I know is that it is the survival game I have been looking for. I can't wait to see what the new builds will bring too, it seems that the developer is in a new phase of very active development starting at the beginning of last year.

Haven't had a chance to check out Brogue yet, though I might go download it now...

Definitely do it! It's an amazing game. It reminds me a lot of more streamlined console roguelikes like Shiren the Wanderer. The game is more reliant on items rather than levels too, in fact as of Brogue 1.7 levels and XP for the player character are out. It places a lot more focus on tactics rather than hitpoints and stats. I love it, it is now tied with Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer (DS) as my favorite roguelike of all-time. Oh, and it also has a recording feature which allows you to playback your dungeon-run which is awesome for trying to figure out what went wrong and for watching other people's to see new playstyles and techniques. I highly recommend it, you won't be disappointed.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: February 10, 2013, 04:51:26 PM »

nah, shiren and other j-roguelikes have a different style. they seem to be more about easing up on the harsh permadeath aspect of the genre (item storage in shiren, complete lack of permadeath in pokemon mystery dungeon and elona) and injecting certain jrpg-style "story" elements into the formula.

brogue is more about going back to the roots (i.e. the original rogue) and building from there i'd say. the design of j-roguelikes isn't usually that clean and streamlined.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2452 on: February 10, 2013, 05:34:14 PM »

nah, shiren and other j-roguelikes have a different style. they seem to be more about easing up on the harsh permadeath aspect of the genre (item storage in shiren, complete lack of permadeath in pokemon mystery dungeon and elona) and injecting certain jrpg-style "story" elements into the formula.

From what I can tell, it's more about taking a persistent character through a series of rogue games/dungeons (of increasing complexity/danger), rewarding successes and punishing failures; eventually culminating in a reset-to-level-1 (with or without items), 99-story, one-shot SuperRogue.

I am glad they have nice, tasty GUIs, controls, and BGMs, though. I hope someday to see a Broguelike like that. Smiley

On a tangent, this weekend I made just shy of 100 themed courses for my fundamentalist StepMania setup (~200 songs). Not totally productive as far as dev goes, but a fun sidetrack that should streamline any playtime I get of that.

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: February 13, 2013, 02:13:07 PM »

Rig N Roll (currently pay what you want at the indiegala shop)
saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: February 15, 2013, 11:45:06 PM »

stopped by at the gamestop near my house after work and picked up raw danger for a buck! it's pretty darned sweet.

also been trying to learn starcraft. unsuccessful so far
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: February 16, 2013, 07:11:51 AM »

Played Zooming Secretary and Russian Roulette for the NES when trying out some NES homebrew games.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: February 16, 2013, 08:38:36 AM »

http://leapdaygame.com/

This is really fun. It's sort of like SpaceChem with online co-op.

You build little circuits of road around a map to gather resources, then build factories in the proper place to ensure your resources get turned into more valuable resources you can sell for more. When you hit your limit on gold, you can either delete some infrustructure (getting your money back with no apparent loss) or just log out and come back later, since your gold will accumulate over time even when logged out.

You start out with a little zone of control around your palace, and you build 'fire towers' to melt ice and gain access to more space and resources (but then you have to build a longer network of roads to get resources back to the palace to make money). The goal is to expand out to the lair of one of several boss monsters on the map and then build a circuit that delivers a specific good to them to defeat them and unlock some randomized treasure (which might unlock cranes for swapping goods, or things like that).

Each map features several players who work together to defeat the bosses, and I think you share treasure if you manage to defeat one. While the day/night cycle (which replenishes resources on the map) takes only a minute, the boss will be available only for a few real-world days, after which the game ends and you have to start a new map. Everything in the game benefits cooperation, and building goods then transferring them to another player to sell ensures both players get a cut of the final sale, so the total gold earned on a traded good is more for both players than if you simply sold it yourself.

The game is financed by microtransactions, which can let you buy some advanced items (like faster roads, more cranes, new factory types) without unlocking them in-game (these seem to be slowly consumed over multiple games, like winning 'stone roads' lets you use them in 40 games before you re-buy them, which seems like they'd last a long time). This also lets you play multiple games at the same time, whereas free-to-play players can only play one game at a time.

The whole thing is cute, has lovely art, and a fun mechanic that is really a far cry from other MMOs.

I think I'll be playing a lot of this over the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:17:35 AM by SirNiko » Logged
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2457 on: February 16, 2013, 10:41:02 AM »

I want that on my iPad.

I've been playing Fire Emblem: Awakening when school allows. Other than that, I've been playing Jelly no Puzzle (holy FUCK this is hard) at work and BaraBariBall with my fraternity bros.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2458 on: February 16, 2013, 11:22:21 PM »

I bought Teleglitch today and played it for quite a while. I'd highly recommend it if you're into shooters. Really satisfying combat system and a lot of fun! Pretty difficult to get far into it though.

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
forwardresent
« Reply #2459 on: February 17, 2013, 02:48:14 AM »

I bought Teleglitch today and played it for quite a while. I'd highly recommend it if you're into shooters. Really satisfying combat system and a lot of fun! Pretty difficult to get far into it though.

This game is terrifying.

I've played nothing but Evochron Mercenary. IT'S SO GOOD. I also started X3 Terran Conflict.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic