Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411515 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 04:12:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 903537 times)
MrBones
« Reply #4380 on: November 03, 2013, 04:35:09 PM »

RIFT and LoL with some friends has been mostly everything I've been playing lately.
Gruff Idler
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: November 04, 2013, 10:01:45 AM »

When friends are online I play League of Legends with them. I've also started playing Vice City recently, still a good game.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: November 04, 2013, 10:13:11 AM »

just started spacebase df-9, double fine's dwarf fortress lite In Space(tm). one of my astronauts already asphyxiated because i didn't know you had to build an airlock. rip
Kekskiller
« Reply #4383 on: November 04, 2013, 11:43:22 AM »

this
adganong
Level 0

Motif

View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: November 04, 2013, 01:02:53 PM »

mass effect, first one
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: November 04, 2013, 01:10:19 PM »

is that actually, like, good? the trailers and screens i've seen make it look pretty meh.
Kekskiller
« Reply #4386 on: November 04, 2013, 01:52:40 PM »

The tech is outdated, the cutscenes are often cringe-worthy but it has a nice story and dialogues. Besides, I really like the skill/stat system they used as well as the later levels where everything's just crawling with traps and poisons so you really have to care about what you skill. It's ok though hard to really like if you're not into arena fights and classic roleplaying. Maybe give it a shot if it's a bit cheaper as the current price is... optimistic. While certainly dusty at it's core there are some cool aspects/designs to it.

To be fair, I should also mention that I did some codework for the project but I've really only started to play the game after I got my free copy. So the opinion above is honest end-user feedback who didn't have to spend any money.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: November 04, 2013, 02:32:59 PM »

The tech is outdated, the cutscenes are often cringe-worthy but it has a nice story and dialogues. Besides, I really like the skill/stat system they used as well as the later levels where everything's just crawling with traps and poisons so you really have to care about what you skill. It's ok though hard to really like if you're not into arena fights and classic roleplaying. Maybe give it a shot if it's a bit cheaper as the current price is... optimistic. While certainly dusty at it's core there are some cool aspects/designs to it.

To be fair, I should also mention that I did some codework for the project but I've really only started to play the game after I got my free copy. So the opinion above is honest end-user feedback who didn't have to spend any money.

ok, that sounds like a game i'll buy in a steam sale in a year, haha. thanks for the impressions. Smiley
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4388 on: November 04, 2013, 03:13:33 PM »

Playing Pokemon Y and doing my biennial playthrough of Ocarina of Time.

adganong
Level 0

Motif

View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: November 04, 2013, 03:33:18 PM »

Just played Eldritch, Pretty neat game
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: November 04, 2013, 04:13:42 PM »

It's really disappointing to me, because I really loved the earlier Dark Eye rpgs -- specifically, Drakensang and River of Time -- and they decided to make a kind of generic action rpg instead Sad

Fortunately, Daedalic is making what looks like a straight port of the original PnP game's rules to a strategy RPG, which might be genuinely great, so I can't really feel annoyed about Demonicon existing.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: November 04, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »

Fortunately, Daedalic is making what looks like a straight port of the original PnP game's rules to a strategy RPG, which might be genuinely great, so I can't really feel annoyed about Demonicon existing.
the combat rules in the original game weren't that good tho
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: November 04, 2013, 04:31:49 PM »

the combat rules in the original game weren't that good tho

I guess not, but I think if you tweak them a bit and put them in the context of a strategy RPG it could be pretty good. In any case, previews have all been really positive, so I can at least hope it turns out well.
antoniodamala
« Reply #4393 on: November 04, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »

just finished the second act of Kentucky Route Zero and godamn i'm going back to it tomorrow again. That's the most contemporary and beautiful storytelling I've ever played (even in comparison to IFs).
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4394 on: November 04, 2013, 05:09:48 PM »

Still playing Ultima V, maybe about 3/4ths of the way through it now. I'm continuing to be impressed by its design and worldbuilding. Way ahead of its time. It does so much with so little... Combat is way too tedious most of the time, but everything else is impeccable.

One aspect of the game I find particularly interesting is the choice to use an alternate alphabet for certain important things. You have to learn to read runic in order to progress. At first it's just a few letters at a time, but as the game goes on it progresses to words, sentences, and paragraphs. I wish more games did things like this, though I'm sure there are players who wouldn't like it...

Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4395 on: November 04, 2013, 05:37:50 PM »

I didn't like it. You get the code in the manual but i found it more tedious than immersing. I was glad to buy the solution magazine that gave translations of all runic parts.

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: November 04, 2013, 10:35:41 PM »

Still playing Ultima V, maybe about 3/4ths of the way through it now. I'm continuing to be impressed by its design and worldbuilding. Way ahead of its time. It does so much with so little... Combat is way too tedious most of the time, but everything else is impeccable.

One aspect of the game I find particularly interesting is the choice to use an alternate alphabet for certain important things. You have to learn to read runic in order to progress. At first it's just a few letters at a time, but as the game goes on it progresses to words, sentences, and paragraphs. I wish more games did things like this, though I'm sure there are players who wouldn't like it...

Since the code is in the manual, it's not really a puzzle so much as just tediously copying down and translating everything. The only foreign language puzzle I've liked was Riven, because it was just the numerals (so, fewer to learn) and they followed an understandable progression, which fit with being a number system but also made it easier to learn them rather than just looking them up every time.
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4397 on: November 04, 2013, 11:46:12 PM »

The only foreign language puzzle I've liked was Riven, because it was just the numerals (so, fewer to learn) and they followed an understandable progression, which fit with being a number system but also made it easier to learn them rather than just looking them up every time.
I liked Fez's foreign language and numbers.

Kekskiller
« Reply #4398 on: November 04, 2013, 11:59:29 PM »

It's really disappointing to me, because I really loved the earlier Dark Eye rpgs -- specifically, Drakensang and River of Time -- and they decided to make a kind of generic action rpg instead Sad

Some things just don't go together, especially if a project is too old, had too many different studios working on it and too many tech and content reboots. The original version of Demonicon (as you can see in older screenshots) was some sort of hack'n slay which they almost completely abandoned. So personally I'm glad they scrapped it cause if you take a look at another

it could've gone much worse than generic RPG.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4399 on: November 05, 2013, 12:14:41 AM »

Since the code is in the manual, it's not really a puzzle so much as just tediously copying down and translating everything.

Right, not a puzzle, but it motivates you to learn to read it in order to reduce the tedium. I mean, it pretty much happens automatically if you have an eye for patterns, since you'll remember what's what and have to look up fewer and fewer letters each time. It is kind of a pain at first when you have to look up everything though...

Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic