Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 04:07:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 904029 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6880 on: June 02, 2015, 11:57:22 AM »

Finished Banjo. Gruntilda's board game thingy I just barely got on the first try but actual Gruntilda boss must've taken like 20 tries.

900 notes and... 99 jiggies. t-t Must've forgotten a Gruntilda button in some level.

EDIT:
Got the last one too. I remembered where it would appear and Marte remembered where the button is.

Woop! Just a few honeycombs left now. Tomorrow. Done for today.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 12:41:27 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6881 on: June 02, 2015, 02:01:16 PM »

I'm slowly getting into the groove of the Witcher 3 after giving up on it a few times. Gameplay design sucks, especially controls and combat, but at least it has its unique flavor, which is rare in AAA.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6882 on: June 02, 2015, 02:02:43 PM »

Gameplay design sucks, especially controls and combat

so same as witcher 2 then lol

honestly the only reason im interested in witcher 3 is that it has the nicest looking towns ive ever seen in a game
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6883 on: June 02, 2015, 02:16:03 PM »

I don't find them that good looking, tbh. Especially compared to what Rockstar can do, and even Assassins's Creed in its better moments. Awkward NPCs just standing there and repeating the same few animations and/or dialogue snippets kinda break the illusion. The Slavic vibe is nice though. Some locations really remind me of places I visited as a kid during holidays and that's cool.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 02:23:35 PM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6884 on: June 02, 2015, 02:40:22 PM »

i guess i should have said "medieval fantasy towns"
FREAKNARF
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6885 on: June 02, 2015, 02:42:12 PM »

Hi there !
I started Rogue Legacy few days ago, and spent  more than 2000 in-game years since... Super fun and addictive.The game is not brand new but I wanted to share with those who were not convinced yet :] I've noticed some talks on Banjo and Kazooie, so freshness is optional,I guess...
Cheers !

K
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: June 04, 2015, 12:14:09 AM »

exhaustive list of games that should have platforming:

1. platformers
GET THIS, it has precision jumps and it's a game where you can't see your feet, there are also platforms that fall if you stand on 'em too long, if you don't keep a direction held down whilst you jump you can say goodbye to your momentum and there are plenty of insta-kill slime and lava pits to fall in until you get the artefact that cuts down on the damage a fair way into the game then they just hit you for a good chunk of health instead. Can you imagine the fun to be had when you get all of that at the same time. Strafe jumping is a requirement but how many people outside of speedrunners and Quakeworld players would've known about that?

Despite all of that it's still a cool game. I mean, on consoles it was, the one on PC is totally different. And it is called Powerslave.
FREAKNARF
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6887 on: June 05, 2015, 01:41:47 AM »

I've started playing Planescape: Torment some time ago. I've always wanted to know if the game is actually good if you avoid combat, so I put my starting points mainly on charisma, with int and wis as secondary stats, and avoided reading any spoilers. I've had weird experiences so far, and ask the help of planescape lovers. (mild spoilers ahead) First: with the exception of the first area, its not true that you can avoid combat, unless avoid means running from a bunch of thiefs as you try to make your way to a npc or a house. Its really clunky and weird, I wish I had made a combat character just to smash those annoying guys and experience the areas without been in a hurry. Second: there's sooo much text. It's something of a genre convention, I know, but everytime I get in a new area there's a million npcs full of dialogue and it can be a little frightening and tiring. There's a guy in the bar with the fire guy that has a huge amount of text about planes and stuff. I read all of that, but I can't stop wondering if there isn't a better way to give that knowledge to the player without all the infodump. Not all of the quests have non combat solutions and its hard to know which one has and which one hasn't until you're already close to the end (like the necromancer raising the dead that you have to kill)

I'm now in an undead underground city and have to find an artefact in some catacombs. The rats over there are really strong and  running from enemies stopped being an option. I'm enjoying the overall story and the setting, but these things annoy me, and I don't know if I'm actually playing this game in the best way to enjoy it.  

Hmm i really loved this game... But the first time I was getting near the end I had to start over thewhole game because my character was too weak :/ A bit frustrating...
The first part of the game has a huge amount of dialogs, and talking to everyone is the only way to level up and even end the game...
But really, they were the best dialogs and story i could have seen in such games.

For now i think you should talk to every NPC in order enjoy the huge story ; also this is the way to earn the more XP points. Playing tough guy is boring and uneffective at this point.

It's quite useless in the first part to but once you leave Sygil you'll have to  to fight and then you'll earn levels bashing vilains (be prepared)... Also I think it is useless to be a thief in this game and the game may be unbeatable with a such class ...

Don't kill too much rats !

K
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: June 05, 2015, 02:58:03 AM »

Torment was really unusual in that you could reach the final encounter and realize your stats were too low to get the best ending. There was no option to go back and try again except to restart the entire game, which feels odd in a game that uses exploration and conversations so heavily and is many hours long.

Vandal Hearts was similar in that the best ending was missable, but it was pretty straightforward to play - on a replay you could just focus on the missions since the exploration part was pretty miniscule.

I finished up Spec Ops: The Line. Super enjoyable, and it does a great job of making the player feel like they're responsible for their choices when there's really only one way to progress. The first time you're expected to shoot soldiers from the 33rd, it's presented in such a way that the player never considers hesitation, but just immediately goes for the kill. You never get a choice (if you were to wait you'd get fired upon) but on that first playthrough it does a great job of hiding that. Even if the game didn't play around with conventions like using load screen tips and hallucinations to manipulate the player, it would be gorgeous to play because post-disaster Dubai is just absolutely beautiful. Exploring the ruins would have been fun without any combat at all.

My only complaint is that the hardest difficulty is too random - many of your deaths come from enemies getting a lucky burst of fire that exceeds your health regeneration threshold. Everything else about the game is really well constructed, especially the gradual change to the character voice clips and the more extreme execution moves as you progress as the team gets frustrated and angry in the later chapters. It is exactly a military FPS to be played by people who dislike military FPS.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6889 on: June 05, 2015, 05:49:42 AM »

I finally got around to finishing Mass Effect 1.

Went to start ME 2, but I can't get into it. I don't want to play a shooter.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: June 06, 2015, 07:42:54 PM »

Just hooked up the ol' N64 and fired up Star Fox 64. Managed to not make a fool of myself on my first replay in years. Thoughts and observations:

• Oh goodness, aiming is so much harder than I remember, and I remember being REALLY good at it back in the day.
  • Sometimes I accidentally fired off bombs when I was trying to shoot and boost at the same time. Makes me question how good the control scheme really was.
  • Only medaled Macbeth, though I came surprisingly close on some levels, even Area 6.
  • I kind of feel like Aquas nearly ate my lunch. Also, Peppy shouts "Do a Barrel Roll!" on this level too? WHAT?
  • I got spotted by the very first light on Zoness. Really. Shrug
  • On that same note, that Zoness boss... it was only one of two occasions I broke a wing.
  • I melted Leon on Venom before they'd even finished their intro. I don't remember them being that weak. But Slippy went down and it frustrated me so that was the only time I "lost a life" to get Slippy back. Stupidly, I didn't consider that it'd reset my laser. Then Slippy still went down.  Lips Sealed
  • I will admit that it is still downright terrifying getting chased by the Andross brain and its tentacles of doom.  Waaagh!
  • With a broken wing, I was even a little on edge for the final escape.

All in all, its pretty clear why I sunk so many hours into this game way back when, even if it didn't give me quite the same jump it used to.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: June 06, 2015, 09:18:44 PM »

God damn Powerslave is a motherfucker when it comes to platforming. I can't believe I put up with this shit back when I was a no good teen and these days I've lost the tolerance for it. I'll try to persevere, it should get a bit better once I've got the pickup that lets you float unless there's a total sunnovabitchin' section that I've managed to mentally repress. It's a big ask though, with no mid-level checkpoints.

Wait which version are you playing?

Anyway I got stuck for like two hours in Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari because I forgot how to memorize new winds that you encounter. The game shows you how to do this, I just can't remember anything.

box_of_dirt
Level 0

God will cut you down.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6892 on: June 06, 2015, 09:50:47 PM »

I got copies of Contra 3 and Kid Icarus recently. I guess I'll be playing those when I'm trying to avoid doing productive things.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: June 06, 2015, 10:33:47 PM »

God damn Powerslave is a motherfucker when it comes to platforming. I can't believe I put up with this shit back when I was a no good teen and these days I've lost the tolerance for it. I'll try to persevere, it should get a bit better once I've got the pickup that lets you float unless there's a total sunnovabitchin' section that I've managed to mentally repress. It's a big ask though, with no mid-level checkpoints.

The Playstation one or more specifically Powerslave EX but it looks like it's been C&Ded so you'll have to get creative if you want to get in on that.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6894 on: June 06, 2015, 10:49:57 PM »

I just finished Snakebird. The last couple of puzzles are pretty extreme, but super satisfying to solve. The game is paced remarkably well overall - almost every level presented a significant challenge, but never to the point that I was stuck for very long at a time. I think I clocked in at an hour and a half to solve the final puzzle from start to finish.

As silly as it sounds, I have a strange temptation to attempt a speedrun of the whole game...

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6895 on: June 06, 2015, 11:16:50 PM »

snakebird is the best puzzler since jelly no puzzle

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: June 07, 2015, 05:16:02 AM »

The Playstation one or more specifically Powerslave EX but it looks like it's been C&Ded so you'll have to get creative if you want to get in on that.

I don't remember having issues with the platforming in the original PSX version when I played it a few years ago. I even remember it having some little subtleties that made the platforming work better than typically in FPSes. BRB sciencing.

Just played the PSX version for a bit. I'm thinking Powerslave EX changed the physics/movement somehow.

this video in particular looks way jerkier than the PSX one. Seems like you don't move as fast in the air in the PSX version and have more time to readjust.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6897 on: June 07, 2015, 10:30:09 AM »

I've been playing Killing Moon. The game breaking glitch that freezes during dialogue when you pick up an item in a certain order is annoying though...I think I just convinced myself to get back in the game.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: June 07, 2015, 07:32:17 PM »

I've been playing TIS-100 and it is fantastic.  I never played Infinifactory, but this feels like the logical next step from SpaceChem.  It's essentially thread programming the game, except this time it's in a custom (MIPSesque) assembly language and it's based around computing nodes that are attached to their neighbors. i.e. instead of there being registers (each node only has 2 registers, an active and a stored value) you have to use neighbors as registers, i.e. mov UP register; add LEFT register.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: June 07, 2015, 07:38:49 PM »

Just played the PSX version for a bit. I'm thinking Powerslave EX changed the physics/movement somehow.

this video in particular looks way jerkier than the PSX one. Seems like you don't move as fast in the air in the PSX version and have more time to readjust.
You might be right though I thought it felt pretty accurate memories aside. I chalk any jerkiness up to framerate quibbles since it's similar to Doom 64 EX (same engine) when you set the framerate to 'capped' instead of 'smooth' but that doesn't explain all the places I had a hell of a time back then I still have a hell of a time now (Amun Mines and Cavern Of Peril in particular). Maybe I'm just terrible at console first person shooters in general. What I really would've liked to see was the Saturn version implemented since I was always better at that differences aside but maybe if the current situation gets cleared up that still might happen.

Anyway, I just took down the second boss. This is as far as I've ever gotten in Powerslave on any platform and I'm feeling pretty good about it so I'll try not to let any other issues harsh my buzz.
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic