Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411841 Posts in 69419 Topics- by 58464 Members - Latest Member: Riya21

May 31, 2024, 08:18:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 908952 times)
beefstragunoff
Level 0

Vengeance is always an option..

View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: August 12, 2015, 12:16:55 AM »

Hi there, I'm new here and wanna share my played games:

Rift
Shadow of Mordor
GTA V
Rohan
Borderlands
Diablo 3

Better be late..than never..
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: August 12, 2015, 02:14:48 AM »

i remember playing one way heroics for a while and giving up on it because i found it fundamentally flawed. but i can't remember why. will need to play again.

oh yeah i remember now

the advancing wall of darkness mechanic isnt that good. there's a LOT of randomly missable content in this game and very often you end up getting killed by the demon lord because you just couldn't level up enough. also i often died in the dungeons because i couldnt see the path up ahead and ran into a dead end. i guess the game expects you to replay the same worlds, but if i wanted to to do that i wouldn't be playing a roguelike. the game also expects you to grind.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7222 on: August 12, 2015, 03:21:22 AM »

the advancing wall of darkness mechanic isnt that good. there's a LOT of randomly missable content in this game and very often you end up getting killed by the demon lord because you just couldn't level up enough. also i often died in the dungeons because i couldnt see the path up ahead and ran into a dead end. i guess the game expects you to replay the same worlds, but if i wanted to to do that i wouldn't be playing a roguelike. the game also expects you to grind.

Dead-ends are rarely deadly if you prepare - there are only a few dungeon layouts, and they are either small enough that you can quickly identify there is no far exit (and plan accordingly) or navigate your way out before you're crushed. You can destroy a door or wall to escape if you're desperate (so long as you leave enough turns to do so) and a clever player brings an axe because it very efficiently destroys walls. You also get 5 uses of a skill that stops time for three turns, which is usually enough to destroy a wall to escape if all of the other possible strategies fail. There's also a cheap magic spell all classes can learn that reveals the interior of dungeons to help you plan your route. That part is well designed and balances the high danger of being trapped with lots of opportunities to escape. You have to plan very carefully to maximize the amount of loot you can get from each dungeon without getting killed by the advancing darkness (some villages with west-facing entrances have the same risk).

The game also generates save points frequently and lets you buy save crystals. You can't get hero points from the same character/run more than once, but you can use save points to retry hard parts to win the game and earn achievements.

You're right on the grind part - although at least in this game it's impossible to stay still and grind, since you have to keep moving forward and deal with other threats. Since any towns you discover are swept off the map almost immediately, you have to keep looking for new sources of food and recovery items to stay healthy.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7223 on: August 12, 2015, 06:07:22 AM »

Dead-ends are rarely deadly if you prepare - there are only a few dungeon layouts, and they are either small enough that you can quickly identify there is no far exit (and plan accordingly) or navigate your way out before you're crushed. You can destroy a door or wall to escape if you're desperate (so long as you leave enough turns to do so) and a clever player brings an axe because it very efficiently destroys walls. You also get 5 uses of a skill that stops time for three turns, which is usually enough to destroy a wall to escape if all of the other possible strategies fail. There's also a cheap magic spell all classes can learn that reveals the interior of dungeons to help you plan your route. That part is well designed and balances the high danger of being trapped with lots of opportunities to escape. You have to plan very carefully to maximize the amount of loot you can get from each dungeon without getting killed by the advancing darkness (some villages with west-facing entrances have the same risk).

The game also generates save points frequently and lets you buy save crystals. You can't get hero points from the same character/run more than once, but you can use save points to retry hard parts to win the game and earn achievements.

You're right on the grind part - although at least in this game it's impossible to stay still and grind, since you have to keep moving forward and deal with other threats. Since any towns you discover are swept off the map almost immediately, you have to keep looking for new sources of food and recovery items to stay healthy.

Yeah, the dungeons aren't too hard usually, but the advancing darkness can be tough to deal with. It may have been nice to advance a tad more slowly to give you chances to avoid the inevitable, and giving more time or perhaps an item you can use to summon the final boss would probably be a good idea to help avoid being underleveled.

Personally, I like the game overall, but there's not that much to it content-wise (which is OK for what it is). However, I usually don't get super duper far into it before I die or the final boss arrives (I don't think I've ever recruited a follower in the game), so I might be mistaken.

Actually, you can earn more hero points from characters after their initial runs, if I recall correctly. If you die, you earn an amount then, but if you retry and get further, you can earn more - just in addition to what you already earned (so you can't just repeatedly die to get more points).

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: August 12, 2015, 02:03:31 PM »

What difficulty are you playing on it?

The boss appears at 400km on Easy, and on higher difficulties spawns randomly (although a clock gives you lots of forewarning) forcing you to evade it if you are underleveled. So long as you're killing monsters and not trying to avoid them you'll be the right level to fight the boss on easy (plus the game automatically spawns NPC allies for you when he appears), and you're supposed to be underleveled when the boss first appears on higher difficulties.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7225 on: August 13, 2015, 01:33:03 AM »

I'm playing D4, the new game by Swery of Deadly Premonition fame. It's nice. It plays like a very bizarre Telltale game. It's for the most part an "interactive story" with some QTEs but then it has these weird "gamey" aspects like a stamina mechanic, medals that give you points and food items randomly lying around. Somehow that just adds to the weirdness tho lol. Also you can poke any NPC as much you want.

It has the same wacky charm as DP pretty much. The upside is that the story is much more "competently" told and it doesn't blatantly rip off Twin Peaks, the downside is that the world seems a little less lovingly crafted. Also there's a "funny effeminate gay" character which is just embarrassing in 2k15. Very good other than that tho.

Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: August 13, 2015, 10:23:15 AM »

infinifactory

ITS LITERALLY THE BEST GAME IVE EVER PLAYED.

It is rather good.

Or should I say, IT IS RATHER GOOD.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7227 on: August 13, 2015, 08:26:36 PM »

Playing CrossCode. It's excellent. Not even close to being done yet, but the combat's great, and the graphics are very beautiful.

EDIT:

What difficulty are you playing on it?

The boss appears at 400km on Easy, and on higher difficulties spawns randomly (although a clock gives you lots of forewarning) forcing you to evade it if you are underleveled. So long as you're killing monsters and not trying to avoid them you'll be the right level to fight the boss on easy (plus the game automatically spawns NPC allies for you when he appears), and you're supposed to be underleveled when the boss first appears on higher difficulties.

I think on Easy - maybe I should try running from enemies more-so to avoid bad outcomes. It should be where you're at the right level to fight the boss on Easy, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't able to get close to defeating him once...? Maybe I'm mistaken and I just played poorly or was playing on Normal or something, I dunno. I'll have to give it another go.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7228 on: August 13, 2015, 11:05:36 PM »

Sooooooo many games and so little time! Working a ton, but whenever I do have free time I've been playing:

- Final Fantasy 14
- God of War 3 Remastered
- Last of Us (Just beat it actually. Best story I've seen in a very long time.)
- Bloodborne (so hard T_T)
- Destiny (way better than people made it sound)
- Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD for PS4 (Beat it many times on PS2 so taking the replay slow)
- Journey (first time. It's pretty good.)
- Hearthstone

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: August 14, 2015, 04:10:08 AM »

Updated some mods and made a fresh start on System Shock 2. I've played SS2 enough times to mostly have memorised the deck layouts but I still can't remember where all of the security cameras are located. There is no end to the horrors that dwell in the halls of the Von Braun but the ones that I dread the most are those bloody security cameras. Yeah you can hack 'em but try to do that when you're dodging attacks from two Hybrids and you back right into the path of one and have that interrupt your train of thought.
Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7230 on: August 14, 2015, 04:33:45 PM »

Bought and have been playing Rocket League for the past 2 days. Smiley It is LOADS of fun! I have 2 brothers that I have been playing with and it helps a lot. Alone it might be a different story though.

Only downside is I have the PC version and they have PS4s, and since there is no cross platform friends list we can only play eachother by playing private matches we can't join a party together. Hopefully this gets fixed soon somehow. (I believe they are working on it.)

I can see myself sinking a lot of time into it, it is one of those 'Easy to play / Hard to master' games.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7231 on: August 14, 2015, 08:36:52 PM »

SFV beta is up again and this time it works!

Pretty fun so far. Attacks seem a bit more animation driven. I'll refrain from commenting for now as I've only played about 10 matches online so far.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: August 15, 2015, 06:29:32 AM »

I'm playing D4, the new game by Swery of Deadly Premonition fame. It's nice. It plays like a very bizarre Telltale game. It's for the most part an "interactive story" with some QTEs but then it has these weird "gamey" aspects like a stamina mechanic, medals that give you points and food items randomly lying around. Somehow that just adds to the weirdness tho lol. Also you can poke any NPC as much you want.

It has the same wacky charm as DP pretty much. The upside is that the story is much more "competently" told and it doesn't blatantly rip off Twin Peaks, the downside is that the world seems a little less lovingly crafted. Also there's a "funny effeminate gay" character which is just embarrassing in 2k15. Very good other than that tho.

just finished. damn this was good. can't wait for more episodes to come out.
saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: August 15, 2015, 09:51:16 PM »

I got D4 while it was slightly discounted as well. I liked that the people of Greenvale had schedules outside of the player. Deadly Premonition's side missions really felt optional and sort of haphazard. I found myself completing them because I was interested in the townsfolk. D4 feels like a checklist though. I'm still on the plane to Boston though so I might be speaking too soon.

I do think the TV show backdrop fits D4 a lot nicer. It also made me wanna rewatch Memento. The doctor speaks Red Room. It is very charming don't get me wrong.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: August 16, 2015, 01:49:42 AM »

i didn't like that you had to play a terrible incompetent resident evil 4 clone to progress in deudly premonition so it's a good tradeoff.
therevillsgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7235 on: August 16, 2015, 01:58:25 AM »

"I am Bread"... just got it on special with the new TF2 update, it's pretty funny but bloody hard to control!

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7236 on: August 16, 2015, 04:32:13 AM »

Still playing Shin Megami Tensei. About 4-5 hours in or so.

A bit overwhelmed by the whole fusion system, the rag jewelry shop and by how fast they throw you into a semi-open map after you go to Ginza. This is pretty awesome, actually, but since I have so little playtime available each week (family, rl job, game dev, how to manage all three?) I feel like this game requires/deserves a lot more playtime to enjoy thoroughly.

I still only have two magatama, I feel like I might be missing on stuff :s

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: August 16, 2015, 05:22:47 AM »

i think when it comes down to it, SMT is the only jrpg series i still care about (tho i do still follow final fantasy out of nostalgia)
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7238 on: August 16, 2015, 05:37:05 AM »

Yeah, I grew a bit distant of the JRPG genre, the only other I played recently was Ni no Kuni out of Love for Ghibli. I did like that game though, beautiful art direction Smiley

But overall I'm not too into JRPGs at this moment, I want in FF again, but man, I dislike Nomura's direction so much Sad

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: August 16, 2015, 07:45:44 PM »

Actually more than Trevor's shenanigans-slash-bullshit, the thing that GTAV did that like made feel miserable enough to never want to play it again was watching Franklin get into bed in the middle of the day, fully clothed, without taking his shoes off, with getting under the covers, just

bad memories.

Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic