Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 03:32:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 904026 times)
messiaen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #740 on: December 30, 2011, 10:20:08 PM »

Sorry guys.  Sad Are FPS games frowned upon here?
Sakar
« Reply #741 on: December 30, 2011, 10:33:46 PM »

The issue isn't that it's an FPS, it's that you only recently heard of the game. It's an oldish, fairly popular game
iffi
« Reply #742 on: December 30, 2011, 10:42:19 PM »

The issue isn't that it's an FPS, it's that you only recently heard of the game. It's an oldish, fairly popular game
"Fairly popular" being an underexaggeration. The original CS popularized the modern-day setting for FPS's pretty much single-handedly, and it, along with CS:S, are still among the most-played games on Steam even more than a decade after CS was released and more than half a decade after CS:S.

Also, any fan of CS, and even many non-fans, would be mortally offended to hear anyone claim that CS is more "casual" than CoD (whatever "casual" means, anyway). It takes quite a lot of skill to truly master CS, and it's one of the most popular competition games.
Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: December 31, 2011, 12:35:34 AM »

Playing Dota 2 and getting massive 4chan trolls as pubs (on my team EVERYTIME OFC). We need to nuke 4chan off the face of the earth.
Gawd-damn.

I'm pretty sure the world's problems all originate from 4chan.

Toucantastic.
saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: December 31, 2011, 01:01:53 AM »

cool. daifukkatsu is my favorite ddp.

german amazon has bullet witch used for about 10 euros which sounds fair enough. i haven't played dog days but loved bayonetta so i guess i would like it. ive heard bad things about it though (glitched up collision for instance).

Yeah, it's a blast and I'm not even a fan of DDP.

Bullet Witch has issues for sure-- the run speed feels too slow, the level layouts are pretty annoying to run through some of the time, inconsistent framerate, but the combat is buckets of fun.

You should just play Nier instead of Drakengard! It's not as crazy, mind you, but it's still a story you could buy for.

also decent but ultimately intriguing gameplay

Yeah, I am playing Nier. Was just curious about Drakengard.
Eraser
« Reply #745 on: December 31, 2011, 11:56:17 AM »

Super Meat Boy, Epic Mickey, and Just Cause 2. SMB is driving me insane, heh. Although they were right in suggesting I play with a gamepad; life significantly improved.
Sakar
« Reply #746 on: December 31, 2011, 01:35:05 PM »

Bastion, Fallout: New Vegas, Cave Story+, English Country Tune, and a bit of Team Fortress 2
venatiodecorus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #747 on: December 31, 2011, 04:00:40 PM »

I've been playing Skyward Sword and it is addictive. Feels like such a classic Zelda but with enough new features to keep it feeling fresh.
messiaen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #748 on: December 31, 2011, 07:22:38 PM »

I'm going to start a game of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I know it was first before GTAIV, so hopefully the content doesn't feel too lacking.
LordHuggington
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #749 on: January 02, 2012, 09:46:07 AM »

Rochard, Waves, and Rise of the Titans here.  All great in their own special way.  Particularly like Rochard for its combination of platforming, Portal-y platforming, and gravity gunnery.

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #750 on: January 02, 2012, 06:22:42 PM »

About to hop into Zelda Oracle of Seasons for the first time.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #751 on: January 02, 2012, 06:29:11 PM »

Just got Kirby: Air Ride from my cousin. I'd heard it was fun, but man, even playing solo is a blast. City Trial's gonna be kickass with four players.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #752 on: January 02, 2012, 06:41:05 PM »

Saints Row The Third is so good holy shit

Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 02, 2012, 06:45:04 PM »

Plants vs. Zombies:GOTY Edition. Please don't beat me up and take my lunch money.

Toucantastic.
Sakar
« Reply #754 on: January 02, 2012, 06:50:42 PM »

Plants vs. Zombies:GOTY Edition. Please don't beat me up and take my lunch money.
Can I pickpocket your lunch money?
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 02, 2012, 06:53:18 PM »

City Trial is the only mode to play with friends because it is the best mode by twenty miles. Every minute spent playing one of the other modes multiplayer is a minute of your life you have wasted.

Sonic Generations is pretty phenomenal. The variety of the levels is excellent, and the Classic Sonic stages perfectly capture the level design of classic sonic games with tiered paths that reward players who manage to execute the maneuvers required to reach them. Unlocking new skills, collectables and restoring the color to the world as you complete stages gives you a steady stream of encouragement that makes you want to play just one more stage. The variety of collectables is pleasant too, a huge variety of songs from other Sonic games and concept art. The Challenge Acts really shine, not only do they offer a variety of really unusual challenges (with new skills like grappling hooks, or building on lesser used level mechanics like Sky Sanctuary's teleporters) but they reference the entire length and breadth of the sonic franchise. You'll see the spike-ball springboards from Starlight Zone, the elemental shields from Sonic 3, and even a level where you juggle the exit signpost like from Sonic and Knuckles.

The Special Abilities you can collect and equip can provide some fun variety for replays, since you can build a lot of different sets of skills together to do some neat and powerful things.

The boss fights (which were a really low point in previous Sonic titles) are really good in this game - with a single exception they feel like combat oriented versions of the main stages, as opposed to shackling Sonic to a single screen and making him bounce at the enemy in a tedious fashion.

One possible downside is that a lot of challenges feel entirely too easy. After doing a few dozen runs in Nimbus to barely beat the time trials of some stages, Sonic Generations barely tries to keep me from those S-Ranks. Sometimes I'll play through a challenge act just once and score an S-Rank on my first try simply because the margin of error was so wide. This may be a good thing depending on your preferred level of difficulty.

The dialogue is pretty cheesy and if you hate Sonic's friends with a passion you'll have to use some restraint because they're back. They appear as allies in some of the challenge acts and then show up as moral support in the end. Aside from a few painful cinema scenes, however, they move quickly and don't waste much time. There are only a handful of cinema scenes as well (And the plot is pretty thin) so this ultimately is a minor annoyance at most and only if you're firmly anti-"Friend".

The final battle is pretty dull and you'll probably clear it without really understanding what you're doing. The fancy graphics spoil it because you won't know which way you should be pointing, and the bosses attacks seem to automatically miss if you do anything but sit perfectly still and wait for them.

The load times on the PS3 are horrendous. It's painful to sit and wait for 20 seconds before starting every challenge. Whatever happened to Blast Processing? Thankfully these aren't a problem in-stage, but it still starts to wear after a while if you're going for 100% completion.

All in all it's a really solid game, and fans of the Sonic franchise will get a lot of mileage out of the references made through the game mechanics. Hopefully Sega will keep to this level of level design in their future titles, and perhaps Sonic will make a revival.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #756 on: January 03, 2012, 09:37:33 PM »

Vanquish, Wizorb, and Unity of Command. Over the holidays, I was playing Skyward Sword.

Enjoying them all a lot. Smiley
ink.inc
« Reply #757 on: January 03, 2012, 11:40:19 PM »

dota 2
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #758 on: January 04, 2012, 09:59:38 AM »

The boss fights (which were a really low point in previous Sonic titles) are really good in this game - with a single exception they feel like combat oriented versions of the main stages, as opposed to shackling Sonic to a single screen and making him bounce at the enemy in a tedious fashion.

Wait wait?! Sidescrolling Sonic boss fights? Fuck yeah! Are any of the Classic Sonic boss battles on Lava Reef's level of greatness?!

Anyway, played more Assassin's Creed last night...starting to get repetitive, I hate having to FIND view points. You're supposed to find me stuff not vice versa, dammit.

Next, I'm going on with my 2nd playthrough of Cave Story where I'm actually finding secrets this time. This game rewards you for effort and I apparently didn't use any my first timr years ago because I found NOT-HING. I'm on the dreaded Labrinth machine boss right now. Here I go...

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 04, 2012, 11:10:21 AM »

and the Classic Sonic stages perfectly capture the level design of classic sonic games with tiered paths that reward players who manage to execute the maneuvers required to reach them.

NO :|

btw the game is good only with middle game level and in modern zone. Last level is full of cringe worthy moment and platforming with classic sonic is stiff, that it is better that most recent attempt is not enough to save it. But this is really the game where modern gameplay shine, even if it's perfectible.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic