Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:22:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 902329 times)
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 15, 2012, 06:16:02 PM »

Sorry Shigeru Miyamoto, but none of your Legend of Zelda games comes close to the perfection that is Legend of Zelda: Parallel Worlds.

Have you beaten it yet?

The final dungeon is some incredible bullshit. A bomb-jumping puzzle that requires near perfect aim to succeed, and a mandatory quest to retrieve six unmarked keys from around the overworld to get to the top of the final dungeon made me quit right at the end. It became incredibly frustrating.

If you use save states it's not as bad, but that makes the rest of the game pretty trivial.
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 16, 2012, 02:21:47 AM »

Sorry Shigeru Miyamoto, but none of your Legend of Zelda games comes close to the perfection that is Legend of Zelda: Parallel Worlds.

Have you beaten it yet?

The final dungeon is some incredible bullshit. A bomb-jumping puzzle that requires near perfect aim to succeed, and a mandatory quest to retrieve six unmarked keys from around the overworld to get to the top of the final dungeon made me quit right at the end. It became incredibly frustrating.

If you use save states it's not as bad, but that makes the rest of the game pretty trivial.

Yep Smiley Not the 2nd quest though, but I think it'll be the same.

I think the worst part of the final dungeon (if not using savestates) were all the moldorm battles. You have to fight them at least 20 times in this game. Also I play mario rom hacks very often and have to practice save states and rewinds to get past the hardcore "you can't beat this normally" hacks, so I felt that this game was absolutely perfect in terms of rom hack quality (but definitely incredibly frustrating if played "normally"). If I played normally, I would've ragequit at Guardhouse Tongue
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #802 on: January 16, 2012, 06:20:04 AM »

Mass Effect

Same here

First playthrough, playing as a faux-renegade. She has a bad temper towards authority, but she cares deeply about her crew and doesn't condone extermination. She enjoyes he pistols and sniper rifles a bit too much. She's an ass and cockteases Kaidan to no end, when she has a crush for Wrex.

I am enjoying  a fair amount the game, despite some flaws, like the annoying Mako sections, specially given how fucking floaty that huge thing feels. That and the at tmes unresponsive squad members, when they refuse to move where I ordered them to. I should be a bit more strict with them.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #803 on: January 18, 2012, 04:59:34 PM »

Played Streets of Rage Remake V5 for the 2nd time...got my butt whooped on the same ship for the 2nd time...

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #804 on: January 18, 2012, 09:23:15 PM »

I haven't played any games all week, but I plan on changing that soon. Maybe a few rounds of Nuclear Dawn? or I may play through Half Life 2: Episode 2 again.

Or something. I have a little over 70 games now. I'll find something. Frozen Synapse has been fun.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #805 on: January 18, 2012, 10:15:54 PM »

Last night (a few hours ago) I started playing Earthbound for the first time.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
iffi
« Reply #806 on: January 18, 2012, 11:05:01 PM »

Last night (a few hours ago) I started playing Earthbound for the first time.
'tis a great game. Starts off a little slow IMO but becomes really fun after getting a second party member.
forwardresent
« Reply #807 on: January 19, 2012, 06:03:25 AM »

DUSTFORCE. It's pretty awesome.
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 19, 2012, 06:23:15 AM »

I forgot how much more quality rom hacks were. Brutal Mario was a legendary game IMO. Anyways, I've been playing some quality Legend of Zelda rom hacks I'd like to recommend.

Legend of Zelda - Parallel Worlds (hack of A Link To The Past)
+much more creatively themed dungeons
+dungeons are not treated as a one-time obstacle, the metroidvania element is present in that you revisit some dungeons with future items for more goodies
+very challenging, you have to go through several enemies to even get your sword
+overworld design is excellent, especially the inclusion of a lost woods (both in the woods and on a beach)
+dungeon design, also excellent
-a ton of backtracking
-very lackluster story (this might actually be a good thing as it might have set a better mood)
-some places are unfairly challenging and rely on "tricks"
-some dungeons are just gimmicky with their theme and are actually quite low on content

Legend of Zelda - Outlands (hack of Legend of Zelda 1)
+much more interesting and less bland than LoZ overworld design
+like Parallel Worlds and the next game, dungeons are treated as part of the metroidvania formula, where you have to revisit dungeons later
+unique theme to enemies and items
+ocarina proves more useful than a form of transport
+much more visually appealing
+2nd quest follows Parallel Worlds design in giving you the sword late forcing strategic use of money caves, boomerang, blue candle and bomb usage (note that all of these items have limitations, boomerangs don't always kill, blue candle is usable once after entering a room, and bombs are limited)
+documents included detailing a LOT of backstory, hints and tips and info for the whole game, like the LoZ game manual, only this time it's actually helpful
-can get really challenging in the last few dungeons where dying takes you far away from the path you want to be (can be a good thing as it makes the usage of potions more involved)

Legend of Zelda - Goddess of Wisdom (hack of A Link To The Past)
Probably the best game I've ever played in my lifetime. The 4 people who worked on this should be hired by Nintendo as their attention to detail and excellent design as well of excellent grasp of the metroidvania element has made this game worth the 2 days of lack of sleep.

As compared to Parallel Worlds:
+the metroidvania element is extremely strongly felt. After every dungeon item, you will have at least 5 to 10 new things to do all the way from the beginning to the very last dungeon. The first dungeon even requires an item from the 8th!
+challenging, but not unfairly challenging, it is like the right amount of challenging that forces strategic use of potions. Not 4 red potions will always do the trick, you may have to do 2 reds and 2 greens. Blues are expensive so will not allow you to upgrade bombs and arrows capacity so easily.
+dungeon design is the best thing here. Something about the dungeons, the way you traverse it and solve its puzzles that makes it extremely satisfying. It is filled with "riddles", planned journeys that will require you to make a map, multiple entrances,
+and relies on special "tricks" that will make you laugh in disappoint when you figure it out. The special tricks make this an excellent and unique game too.
+rude (no swearing) dialogue which you'll find hilarious
-messy overworld design, which may be a bit lackluster too
-less creatively themed dungeons, it is to Parallel Worlds what A Link To The Past is to Skyward Sword
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:38:00 AM by vinheim3 » Logged
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #809 on: January 19, 2012, 09:28:42 AM »

Wow, those sound fantastic. I'd love to hear more about other hacks available out there.
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: January 19, 2012, 09:43:34 AM »

Shinobi 3DS.

It's so infuriating Angry There are only 3 stages left before I finish the game, and still, starting from scratch in easy mode doesn't seem like a bad idea Durr...? Not that I'll do it, but still. Ugh. I love it.
IzzyReggie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 19, 2012, 05:51:46 PM »

Cave Story+ on hard mode. harder than expected.

First I endlessly died on Balfrog, and then I did the Curly fight and I will never beat her. Too much to dodge.

Even if I do beat Curly... Mons...Monster X....   Crazy

Twitter: @fistpuncher (no relation to the game)
Ashkin
« Reply #812 on: January 19, 2012, 06:39:06 PM »

DUSTFORCE
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 19, 2012, 08:21:29 PM »

Goddess of the Winds sounds pretty sweet. I'm adding that to my list.

If you've never tried it before, I strongly recommend Zelda Classic for more custom Zelda quests. By far the best of them is Dr. Wily's Revenge, which has a huge selection of thematically and mechanically diverse dungeons, including at least one 2-d side scrolling dungeon. It uses a ton of scripting to make special fights and puzzles. It has a crapload of sidequests that unlock all sorts of handy abilities. It's also a bit on the hard side (though the director's cut version fixes a lot of the glitches). The only downside is it still is a little on the glitchy side, on account of using a lot of tricks to create scripted elements. The difficulty towards the end of the game will vary pretty tremendously depending on whether or not you've done the sidequests for the most valuable upgrades.

Nonetheless, I've played through it in its entirety twice without finding everything, and had an absolute blast both times.

http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=quests&id=99
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #814 on: January 20, 2012, 01:02:38 AM »

Where you get these hacks?
Uykered
« Reply #815 on: January 20, 2012, 01:08:47 AM »

I couldn't find "Goddess of Winds" did you mean Goddess of Wisdom?

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/662/

Derek theres usually a lot of rom hacks at romhacking.net.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #816 on: January 20, 2012, 01:23:59 AM »

Thanks, I went there first, but couldn't find them for some reason.

Outlands looks pretty cool: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/10/
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 20, 2012, 04:37:37 AM »

I couldn't find "Goddess of Winds" did you mean Goddess of Wisdom?

Oh sorry, yep, Goddess of Wisdom Tongue

If you've never tried it before, I strongly recommend Zelda Classic for more custom Zelda quests. By far the best of them is Dr. Wily's Revenge, which has a huge selection of thematically and mechanically diverse dungeons, including at least one 2-d side scrolling dungeon.

Just checked out the image and I'm definitely going to try this out today. I'm curious about that Mega Man screen. Thanks Smiley

EDIT: turns out the whole game revolved around MegaMan, thought it was some SMB Crossover deal. The game so far has been a masterpiece so far and I've only just explored a bit after the 1st boss. Massive world so far, a massive 1st dungeon, excellent graphics and enemies, etc. The 1st boss was an excellent boss fight and hopefully the same quality is there the whole game.

Wow, those sound fantastic. I'd love to hear more about other hacks available out there.

Right now I'm playing another hack of ALttP called PuzzledDude's Quest, by PuzzleDude, who I think was the main mastermind behind Goddess of Wisdom.

Legend of Zelda - PuzzleDude's Quest (hack of A Link To The Past)
This game isn't a fully hacked ALttP game, but more like a Master Quest version. The overworld is riddled with mazes, caves can contain new content, there are only 2 warps to the dark world, 1 to get to the pyramid where ALL the crystal dungeons are (no dark world exploring past the pyramid) and 1 to get to Ganon's Tower, and finally, dungeons have the same rooms and are connected the same way, but contain completely different content and are explored in a different order.

+dungeon design is of expected by PuzzleDude and is worthy of being a Master Quest (the others just tweak stats like enemy damage or life gain and availability of heart pieces)
+the order of getting items is unique and fun (you get the hammer and magic cape first, and you get the boots in a peculiar place, there is no Sashararala or whatever)
+teaches you "tricks" early, so is good for easing into Goddess of Wisdom
+-not a positive or negative, since LoZ games do it, but dungeons are now one-time obstacles again
-some might dislike the overworld design, the place is filled with obstacles that create mazes. I actually like this, it gives the overworld a theme, doesn't bore me of exploring the same lands, while also giving you a different order to visit places, but many others have disliked it
-dialogue is unchanged, leading to sages saying things that make no sense given the context
-again, all the crystal dungeons are in the same screen, the pyramid, no dark world exploration. This may have been a good thing as it means no more mazes or same ALttP world
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:56:19 AM by vinheim3 » Logged
Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 21, 2012, 04:02:01 PM »

I'm playing Alien Soldier for Genesis. Or actually, I was playing Alien Soldier for Genesis, but I don't want to put the time in to master the complicated controls and so it's virtually impossible for me to play.

So I'm just rewatching

. I have fond memories of my first time watching it, where I didn't look at the length before watching it in fullscreen, got about five minutes into it, and assumed that the wolf-guy was the final boss and the game was over.

Nope.
PaleFox
« Reply #819 on: January 21, 2012, 06:56:05 PM »

Rise of Prussia

It's badly coded, bare-bones, stupidly complex, and amazing.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic