Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:26:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 903234 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: April 06, 2016, 05:26:29 PM »

Playing Omens of Ice, the new expansion to Elder Sign (this is the physical boardgame, not the digital adaptation). After Gates of Arkham turned ES from "kinda ok" to "very good", I was having pretty high hopes for this new expansion which uses a similar format (new "game mode" with custom adventure deck, mythos deck and ancient ones). They've only been partially fulfilled though. The new game mode does add some very interesting mechanics with storm tokens you place on adventures, supplies to manage and a day counter as an additional timer. It's probably even more challenging than Gates is and possible even more thematic. Also the exclusive ancient ones have very distinct abilities that are triggered often, which is cool. The game is also played as a two-stage "campaign" now with special story adventures that need to be completed in order to advance to the second stage. Each stage has its own adventure deck.

The problem is, the mechanics it adds are all rather fiddly and bookkeep-y. You're going to be pushing a lot of tokens around and distributing them on adventure cards and etc. It also takes a while to actually "get going" with the two phase setup. The abundance of midnight effects on adventures and monsters makes the midnight phase take a lot longer.

The good thing about Gates was that it complexified Elder Sign and added challenge while preserving the game's identity as a "light" game. Omens of Ice adds too much overhead imo. I also dislike the way it pressures players. Gates fixed the base game's lack of tension by removing the entrance shop, making the mythos deck really brutal and having gates block adventures. Omens uses a secondary timer, a dwindling resource to manage and the storm tokens (basically random effects) you put on adventures which is not only a lot less elegant, but also much more fiddly (as I said above) and dilutes the game's mechanics.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: April 06, 2016, 06:07:01 PM »

Playing assassin's creed 1 for the first (actually second time, I pause) first arrival in the first city, I'll play the ezio trilogy, liberation and freedom cry.

shellbot
« Reply #8182 on: April 07, 2016, 03:03:27 AM »

Finally got around to playing Transistor.
Beautiful.

Now I need to go play Bastion Screamy
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: April 07, 2016, 03:15:32 AM »

I wonder if a reason Transistor is so short (compared to Bastion, at least, which has more endgame content) is because the gameplay breaks down very quickly. You can't see it at first, and it's incredibly fun while you're still figuring out the different combos and experimenting on the enemies. But after you find a combo that deals thousands of damage with no chance of enemy retaliation there isn't much value in continuing with the game; at that point it's a solved puzzle.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
shellbot
« Reply #8184 on: April 07, 2016, 03:20:21 AM »

I wonder if a reason Transistor is so short (compared to Bastion, at least, which has more endgame content) is because the gameplay breaks down very quickly. You can't see it at first, and it's incredibly fun while you're still figuring out the different combos and experimenting on the enemies. But after you find a combo that deals thousands of damage with no chance of enemy retaliation there isn't much value in continuing with the game; at that point it's a solved puzzle.

That could very well be the reason. Either ways I appreciate the length. It didn't feel the need to drag on, which is a pit WAY too many games fall into.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: April 07, 2016, 03:30:17 AM »

Another thought: Some ppl criticized Transistor saying that it feels like an "extended tutorial" because it doesn't let you use most of the functions until very late in the game. But if you had those skills from the start then it would be more obvious just how easy it is to break the game by combining them in some specific ways. So I think it's necessary for the enjoyment of the player that they don't get all the tools for creating those combos until the game is almost over.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
shellbot
« Reply #8186 on: April 07, 2016, 03:41:46 AM »

Another thought: Some ppl criticized Transistor saying that it feels like an "extended tutorial" because it doesn't let you use most of the functions until very late in the game. But if you had those skills from the start then it would be more obvious just how easy it is to break the game by combining them in some specific ways. So I think it's necessary for the enjoyment of the player that they don't get all the tools for creating those combos until the game is almost over.

Exactly. Personally, I think the game was very well-paced. It tip-toed that line between boredom and anxiety very well. That's masterful game flow if I've ever seen it.

I think the biggest downside to the game overall would be that it was rushed. Playing through it, you can kind of see where corners were cut during development. That was probably a factor in the length. Once again, not that I mind the length, I enjoy it... But there were certain assets that could have used a bit more TLC.

But that's just my opinion
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8187 on: April 08, 2016, 03:21:29 AM »

playing some vaporwave level-based borderline difficult endless runner named NO THING

it's worth its small price , and the music is good
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8188 on: April 08, 2016, 08:48:38 AM »

vaporwave?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8189 on: April 08, 2016, 09:27:54 AM »

I think it's the latter, this kind of aesthetics has been there forever.

edit:
I was confused at first because I read vaporwaRe, lol

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8190 on: April 08, 2016, 06:56:12 PM »

now you know how I feel every time I see that goddamn thread of yours

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8191 on: April 10, 2016, 01:41:51 PM »

Playing Enter the Gungeon  and my first death isn't even gun related Sad

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: April 10, 2016, 01:46:50 PM »

is this gam good? i've been kinda EYEING it
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: April 10, 2016, 01:52:45 PM »

Yeah, he gameplay is pretty solid. It's less hectic and fast than Nuclear Throne.

Used to be a huge fan of Nuclear Throne, but this one is the new king.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8194 on: April 10, 2016, 03:20:58 PM »

Saw on Steam the reviews basically said that the game was hard and that it really depended on getting a good gun in the first few floors. Was that your experience too, or no?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: April 10, 2016, 04:29:48 PM »

The game is hard because it's really close to japanese bullet hell.
And so far (6hour gameplay) i didn't really feel that it depended on getting a good gun.
It mostly depended on which boss i get on each floor, as some have easier bullets pattern.

imo it's less dependant on getting a good gun in the first flours than Nuclear Throne.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8196 on: April 10, 2016, 04:39:06 PM »

9 hours into Enter the Gungeon, I can finally get to the 3rd boss... and die!

Some bosses are easier than others but they are well balanced for each floor.

There's still some luck involving the guns and the items you get though and the key dependency can be very frustrating, specially when you have money to buy a key but the shop doesn't have any. :/

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #8197 on: April 10, 2016, 06:50:31 PM »

Stuff I been plaping:

Eternal Blue Complete - As I mentioned, between WD's translation and some... overall off-ness, I did NOT like this. Which lead toooooo

Eternal Blue - Imported the Sega CD version. Sprite art's gorgeous, where it was pretty garbage in the remake. A fair bit harder/bigger/"chunkier"/"weightier" all around. Liking it a lot. Playing through it in Japanese can be pretty slow going but at the same time it's, well, really rewarding, and I don't have to deal with Vic Ireland's muted homophobia/misogyny/being a goddamn 12 year old.

Ogre Battle - Ended up taking a break from this. The battles were feeling kind of one-note -- take a few towns, and then enemy units start streaming out of the enemy capitol so you defend towns you have while slowly moving your front forward. It's still fun it's just like, it's not something I could binge on.

Earthbound Zero - I remember this being really grindy but I just picked up Loid and I haven't had to grind /at all/ and it's actually been quite fast paced? I'm surprised but I'm REALLY enjoying it. The atmosphere's equal parts bleak and nostalgic

I want a physical copy, but the GBA version has really bad music, I don't have anything that can run Famicom games so that'd be strictly for the shelf, so...

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: April 12, 2016, 02:00:38 AM »

Fallen London is currently my favourite way to waste time during office hours. It's often grindy, but the setting is nice and it's full of fellow roleplayers, so overall I'm having a good time.

I also bought a 3ds solely to play Rune Factory 4.
Farming simulator are my weakness.

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8199 on: April 12, 2016, 02:10:27 AM »

Have you played stardew valley?
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 486
Print
Jump to: