Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:54:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 902392 times)
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: January 26, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »

Gimmick! rocks my world.

You have made a fine choice, my friend.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #841 on: January 26, 2012, 09:28:37 PM »

|/

(read in thick Middle Eastern accent)
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 27, 2012, 10:39:03 AM »

Gimmick! rocks my world.

It only gets better. Well, except when it takes a small dip at stage 4, but then it skyrockets again. Also, just letting you know, you already missed a secret area. =P

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #843 on: January 27, 2012, 11:16:43 AM »

|/

(read in thick Middle Eastern accent)
Never thought of that before, thanks Derek!

@DavidCaruso If you referring to the secret path that leads you to a plant, I went there. But thanks anyway. Wink
And yeah, it's a pretty fantastic game indeed.

Dakota.s
Level 0

Future Game Developer

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 29, 2012, 08:53:15 PM »

I have been playing:
Dungeons of Dredmor,
Torchlight,
Dungeon Defenders,
Cave Story+,
Sequence,
The Binding of Issac,
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome
and Aquaria.  Addicted

Games are supposed to be art, and not simply a way to make money.
iffi
« Reply #845 on: January 29, 2012, 09:08:24 PM »

I just played a bit of Rescue: The Beagles. I had forgotten how fun that game was.

Besides that, I've mainly been playing TF2, Quake Live, and Dragon Nest.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #846 on: January 30, 2012, 04:05:46 PM »

Let me just say that Rescue: The Beagles is one of my most loved games of all time.

Besides it being a very fun game, I wouldn't have heard of Disasterpeace without that game.

Which also means I wouldn't have heard of little-scale without that game.

Which means there would have been two little musical note-shaped holes in my heart.

(although I probably would have listened to Rich now that he made the Fez soundtrack, but that's an awful long time to go without proper lo-fi music. And then who knows how long after that it would have taken to find Sebastian.)

Oh... And the game is really great. There are beagles in it; also it is fast, fun, and addictive.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 30, 2012, 07:41:20 PM »

I've been playing The Witcher. I'd have been disappointed if I'd paid full price for this at launch, but for a $10 download on steam it's fun.

The upside is that the game goes pretty far along with the idea that you're a badass expert on monsters. You've got this big ol' bestiary (which you have forgotten, so you read books to fill it up) that tells you all about monsters and alchemy, and all the strategies that witchers use to hunt things. The game mostly centers around learning all the monster weaknesses, and then carrying the right potions and weapons and oils to defeat them.

The combat is pretty slick. Once you've consumed your potions and oiled your sword, you just dive right into the fight. You have three combat "Styles" you can use. One beats armored foes, one beats evasive foes, and the last kind hits groups (so it's most useful if you get ganged on). Fighting is matter of clicking your sword with the right timing to chain combos, which is pretty easy. You also get five different spells you can cast, which include a shield, a fireball, and three stunning spells that inflict different status effects. Fighting is pretty fast and fun, once you've gotten all the pre-fight preparation out of the way.

The biggest selling point to the game is the decision making as you go along. You're periodically hit with really ambiguous decisions to make. Do you help your friends fight the death-beast or do you rush ahead to stop the wizard? Do you trust the elven guerrillas who claim own those goods, or do you kill them? The consequences to the decisions are often a full chapter away, which defeats the value of save-scumming. Furthermore, the game is really careful to link results to choices through brief cinematics that recall the decision you made and explain how it resulted in a later situation. When the knight gives you access to the docks, you'll be reminded that it is in gratitude to your earlier generous act.

One big downside is that the game makes you play Inventory Manager all the time. You'll fill up your inventory really quickly, and have to dump lots of it off at the inn. To make matters worse, you'll often come across NPCs who want you to give them a gift (sometimes unspecified) which usually means walking back to the inn, dumping out all the items you think might be the proper gift, walking back, and then storing everything again later. It's really tedious and reeks of an arbitrary design decision.

The in-game guide for locating NPCs is horrific. Often you'll be looking for an NPC to turn in a quest and the map will tell you they're at a guard tower, but they're nowhere to be seen. Later you will learn they have permanently gone to some arbitrary location without telling you, like to the swamp or waiting in the Inn, leaving you confused over something that was never intended to be a puzzle.

The game is really glitchy and crashy, which is unfortunate. I got stuck in permanent slo-mo from one bug, which I cured by drinking another potion of slo-mo and then waiting until it wore off. It's normal to get stuck behind NPCs, or watch a cluster of them ricochet from each other like pinballs until they get sorted out. Another NPC broke his face, the result making him look like the mask from Scream, which was unsettling. If you use a teleporter during one quest, you'll stumble upon a frightening monster screaming randomly into space until you leave the room and set the correct triggers to make it hostile. Worst of all, periodically the game will crash while saving and you'll lose your save file. Mercifully, multiple saves (enforced by periodic autosaves) will save your bacon.

If you're big on long, exploration heavy RPGs that keep plopping big helpings of in-game lore in your lap between action segments, The Witcher is pretty fun.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #848 on: January 31, 2012, 01:49:37 PM »

My dormmate and I started up Donkey Kong Country Returns. Both of us were surprised by how tough it is right off the bat- he in particular was pretty pissed his character could only take two hits before dying- but the levels are gorgeous and fun to romp through. We already beat the first world, so I'm hoping to see what the rest of the game has in store.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 31, 2012, 02:06:06 PM »

@niko: play witcher 2. it's better.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 31, 2012, 02:59:04 PM »

Thanks for the tip!
brettchalupa
« Reply #851 on: January 31, 2012, 04:07:29 PM »

I just started playing Fortune Summoners last night; I didn't get too far, but it's been enjoyable.  Smiley
deathtotheweird
« Reply #852 on: January 31, 2012, 04:11:37 PM »

just got done playing santaragione's ggj game mirrormoon, very enjoyable.

http://www.news.santaragione.com/post/16746054546/a-new-game-for-global-game-jam-2012
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #853 on: January 31, 2012, 04:27:49 PM »

I have an up to date computer for the first time in six years.  Bought a couple games during sales that I thought looked interesting but couldn't play when they came out.

Saints Row the Third, based on it's review on RPS, barely halfway through the game and I just barely care anymore.

Borderlands, cause my friend was hyping it up, we play when we're both online but it seems we're not online at the same time very often.

Crysis, Crysis Wars, and Crysis Warhead were $9 on Amazon, specifically to try out MW: Living Legends.  Got maybe an hour into Crysis, haven't even installed Warhead to play MW.

Deadspace and Deadspace 2.  Maybe 10 minutes into Deadspace.

I've been tempted to play Arcanum for the first time in I don't know how long since I got it during GOG's giant game sale a while back.

Then I downloaded the Hack, Slash, Loot and RetroBlazer demos and and Overgrowth 167a and I haven't played anything else.

I don't know how to deal with all these games!  I'm so easily distracted!
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #854 on: January 31, 2012, 05:28:50 PM »

I feel ya homie.
saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: January 31, 2012, 05:37:52 PM »

So like, I'm the proud owner of a new PS3! To play Demon's Souls. Yeah, and I'm most likely going to pick up another copy of Dark Souls for it Addicted.

And maybe Under Defeat HD when it comes out. And the Ico/SOTC combo. I dunno how you guys can complain about too many games. Feels great to own tons of games on multiple systems Evil.
brettchalupa
« Reply #856 on: January 31, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »

I feel you, as well, homie.  Concerned
ink.inc
« Reply #857 on: January 31, 2012, 09:10:41 PM »

the only thing on my steam list is a few humble bundle games and 300 hours worth of dota 2
iffi
« Reply #858 on: February 01, 2012, 02:29:20 AM »

I've been thinking about playing The Witcher 2. I'll probably get around to it this summer, but how important is it to play the first one to understand the story?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: February 01, 2012, 03:27:35 AM »

I didn't finish Witcher 1 and understood most everything.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic